Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Please forgive me for not having read through the 89 pages of content in this thread...yet...😁

Curious to hear how the 'dirty' component of this long & dirty has reconciled with your vacations and other life needs that have required you to be away (or have otherwise prevented a regular water change from taking place).  How have you found the lack of automation and technology in this build has helped or hindered when you have someone pet-sitting, or do you forego that risk and just let things run, dealing with any aftermath that arises upon return? 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, MR.FEESH said:

Please forgive me for not having read through the 89 pages of content in this thread...yet...😁

Curious to hear how the 'dirty' component of this long & dirty has reconciled with your vacations and other life needs that have required you to be away (or have otherwise prevented a regular water change from taking place).  How have you found the lack of automation and technology in this build has helped or hindered when you have someone pet-sitting, or do you forego that risk and just let things run, dealing with any aftermath that arises upon return? 

Because it is a hands off method to begin with it’s actually very easy when I travel. The tank gets topped off manually and the fish get fed. That’s it! 

If I’m gone for over a week then the water change happens when I get home. My 75 gallon gets a water change about once a month but went for two months recently because I was in and out of town a lot. 

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Frilly Gorgonian

7A1480B8-62E6-499C-B589-9B064C7D2094.thumb.jpeg.1dfd894843c7adf4f489bda36b1d2204.jpeg

Puffy Pectinia

9A319645-4C83-4DA7-9842-733272122CCF.thumb.jpeg.be7c7f53b158c750a72c6ee5ac6bf9f9.jpeg

Nemo don’t play that. 

5DF1F1D6-145F-479B-9591-EBA57DAD0EE6.thumb.jpeg.59d5f937a800e69b1f3f2dcc79bd46ad.jpeg

New guy. Who dis?

DAA7938E-0017-4AF0-AF76-73587BB52914.thumb.jpeg.e297902ca30ad0a566acb5862b00cdeb.jpeg

starlord is SO CUTE!!!!

I love the pectinia!!!

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

starlord is SO CUTE!!!!

I love the pectinia!!!

Thats not Star Lord, its the new guy. Tailspot Blenny....... no name as of yet....... and he is very cute and very small.

The Pectinia has been super puffy since I moved it to this tank. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

The blenny is awful cute!

He is......and so teeny. Once he’s here a few more days he will get a name. 

• Like 3

So I guess I’m wrestling with the two murderers tomorrow and maybe rearranging the aquascape too. They’re not going to be the only damn fish in there. Bad clowns!

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

So I guess I’m wrestling with the two murderers tomorrow and maybe rearranging the aquascape too. They’re not going to be the only damn fish in there. Bad clowns!

Such punks. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Aka the toilet..

tenor (8).gif

Aw no I don’t want to get rid of them they’re pretty! But I can’t have them killing everything I put in there. Besides I guess when you look at it the scape is pretty but didn’t have much in the way of hiding places for them

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

^You already have a name!

And I agree with Dirte, he's cute! 🙂 

So Ill be honest. I ordered a different goby that’s supposedly very hardy and I hope more of an asshole and a horned blenny. I’m gonna snatch the clowns out and rearrange some stuff to make actual caves tomorrow before putting the new fish in. Water change a bit too. Im

excited about these two fish because I know the pistol needs a friend and the blenny will be fun to watch. Just gotta cube the murderous aggression. 

I wonder if worse comes to worst could I stick them in the SCA in the back corner across the whole tank from the other two and not start a war

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

So Ill be honest. I ordered a different goby that’s supposedly very hardy and I hope more of an asshole and a horned blenny. I’m gonna snatch the clowns out and rearrange some stuff to make actual caves tomorrow before putting the new fish in. Water change a bit too. Im

excited about these two fish because I know the pistol needs a friend and the blenny will be fun to watch. Just gotta cube the murderous aggression. 

I wonder if worse comes to worst could I stick them in the SCA in the back corner across the whole tank from the other two and not start a war

It’s hard to say with clowns. 🤷🏻‍♀️ A rearrange may help the issue of territory. 

Thats why I didn’t get Nemo a friend...... I’m too afraid of them going full “Devils Rejects” on the whole tank. 

8 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

^You already have a name!

And I agree with Dirte, he's cute! 🙂 

🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

He always looks worried. 😄

He actually does, mine just looks suspicious of everything

Hmmm how about Aghast as a name? Or Blanch (short for Blanched - turning pale in worry) or Ash (Ashen)

• Like 3
On 8/1/2019 at 10:42 PM, WV Reefer said:

Once I fire up that MP10 i might manage to blow the f*cking wall out 😄

Your first vortech or just first on this tank?  

Prolly excellent for the space IMO but know their gph numbers give a false impression of strong performance...so I doubt there's reason to worry about overdoing it.

A lot of the gph actually gets pulled back into the pump almost immediately if you watch a visualization of the flow from a vortech...and the percentage of flow that actually moves forward into the tank is extremely soft (low velocity) with a very short "reach" of maybe 12" in an open tank...maybe a bit longer in a very-narrow tank.  

The sand would be the only worry of having too much flow...no sand, zero worry IMO.

Usually a pump more like the Tunze nanostream 6015 or 6025 would be more ideal for a long narrow tank since they can "reach" all the way across the tank...plus they can be aimed.  

But the MP10's in-tank profile is smaller if size is the overriding factor vs flow...and as-mentioned, I suspect it will perform above-average in this tank compared to how it performs in other tanks such as cubes. 

😉 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Your first vortech or just first on this tank?  

Prolly excellent for the space IMO but know their gph numbers give a false impression of strong performance...so I doubt there's reason to worry about overdoing it.

A lot of the gph actually gets pulled back into the pump almost immediately if you watch a visualization of the flow from a vortech...and the percentage of flow that actually moves forward into the tank is extremely soft (low velocity) with a very short "reach" of maybe 12" in an open tank...maybe a bit longer in a very-narrow tank.  

The sand would be the only worry of having too much flow...no sand, zero worry IMO.

Usually a pump more like the Tunze nanostream 6015 or 6025 would be more ideal for a long narrow tank since they can "reach" all the way across the tank...plus they can be aimed.  

But the MP10's in-tank profile is smaller if size is the overriding factor vs flow...and as-mentioned, I suspect it will perform above-average in this tank compared to how it performs in other tanks such as cubes. 

😉 

I have two MP40’s on my 75 so I’m familiar. I really just wanted to try something new in there.............and I had some money to burn. 🤷🏻‍♀️😄

Also, With the tank sitting on the bookshelf I was getting too much salt creep from the other wires being in the water. Now there is just the heater wire to worry about. 

• Like 3

I have had this guy for awhile now and today was the first time I have been able to get a picture of him. His eyes look so cool. 

Notice the yellow sponge on each side...... I think it may take over the world. 

• Like 7

I found a piece of that sponge growing in one of the nori clips that went missing over a year ago in the 57. I think that Digger Dan was using it to shore up his tunnel, lol.

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

I found a piece of that sponge growing in one of the nori clips that went missing over a year ago in the 57. I think that Digger Dan was using it to shore up his tunnel, lol.

That yellow sponge is everywhere now. It’s actually helping prevent a few coral wars at the moment. 😄

• Haha 1
  • WV Reefer changed the title to WV Reefer's 12 Gallon Long and Dirty: Home of The Worm