inTank Media Baskets

14 minutes ago, JBM said:

I was going to wait a full year to reveal my secret. But at this point, does it matter? I have a successful reef, it looks fantastic. And had I not stepped forward. Nobody would be the wiser.

Thanks for coming out and sharing your story. 😄

Next time on Tap Water Confessions.....

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Last night one of the MP10s started to make a horrible racket so I turned it off and tried to open it up to see what the problem was.....I could barely open it because the coating on the shaft had turned to dust. Wtf. 

Here is what was left of the coating:

EC486905-33D4-45A0-A5A5-FE690D78CE32.thumb.jpeg.a65d01db6d70999d6e4912468d7d044e.jpeg

DD5BA371-8CF6-41DD-8EB5-DA8C8A525E97.thumb.jpeg.394f093ee1753494af673b25947e312b.jpeg

🤬 how does that even happen? Was it already compromised?

• Wow 5
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Last night one of the MP10s started to make a horrible racket so I turned it off and tried to open it up to see what the problem was.....I could barely open it because the coating on the shaft had turned to dust. Wtf. 

EC486905-33D4-45A0-A5A5-FE690D78CE32.thumb.jpeg.a65d01db6d70999d6e4912468d7d044e.jpeg

DD5BA371-8CF6-41DD-8EB5-DA8C8A525E97.thumb.jpeg.394f093ee1753494af673b25947e312b.jpeg

Holyshit:sad:. I'd call them and see if they can warranty it for you maybe.. they might hook you up

• Like 1
1 minute ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Holyshit:sad:. I'd call them and see if they can warranty it for you maybe.. they might hook you up

They are still under warranty but damn. 

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

oh no, that really sucks.  that is one tricky part about those MPs, lining them up just perfectly so to reduce noise AND wear&tear.  < to me anyway, I'm afraid that I'd spend $$ on it and have this issue happens.  

Hopefully it's not an expensive part to replace. good luck.

• Like 4
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
10 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

They are still under warranty but damn. 

Yeah sucks when shit like that breaks. you still have back up pumps right?

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

The new MP10's suck. They are manufactured differently. My old ones lasted years and years without any shaft issues. My new one broke in just over a year, same problem. When I googled it, there were threads of people with the same complaints.

If I open my old MP10 with the original wetside from 2013, it is clearly different then my new... now..broken one. I dabbed a little tiny glue and shoved the shaft on as the metal underneath looks like stainless. I plan to replace them with some octo pulse or something since they don't make vortechs like they use to.   

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/mp10-ceramic-shaft-broken.549906/

You used top be able to buy just the shaft side for like $15 but now they want you to buy an entire wet-side for $50. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
4 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

New wet side on its way to me. Yay!

That's good to hear. Sounds to me like there was a defect from the beginning. Those ceramic shafts are supposed to be a lifetime thing. Idk. I'm super careful when cleaning mine. I'd probably cry if I broke a $200 pump

• Like 2
1 minute ago, JBM said:

That's good to hear. Sounds to me like there was a defect from the beginning. Those ceramic shafts are supposed to be a lifetime thing. Idk. I'm super careful when cleaning mine. I'd probably cry if I broke a $200 pump

I baby those things........and it happened while in use which makes me think it was definitely already damaged and then finally ground itself to bits over the past two months......It looked like I poured sand out of it.  

• Wow 3
5 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

oh no, that really sucks.  that is one tricky part about those MPs, lining them up just perfectly so to reduce noise AND wear&tear.  < to me anyway, I'm afraid that I'd spend $$ on it and have this issue happens.  

Hopefully it's not an expensive part to replace. good luck.

And everyone wonders why I use Jebao in all my tanks at home and in the shop.

1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

New wet side on its way to me. Yay!

Wet is good, no friction. What were we talking about again? I got distracted.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7
3 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

And everyone wonders why I use Jebao in all my tanks at home and in the shop.

I don’t mind the Jebao stuff- that new return pump is working well, though I don’t completely understand the controller. But the little wave pump in the Evo works like a little champ. And they’re easily affordable and replaceable. Did I mention I also have a hoss of a wavepump in the mixing bucket? Sucker is yuuuge. But works well.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Mmm... chalupa!! But grape sounds like a weird flavor... 🤔

Auto correct at its finest.

On 11/11/2019 at 5:42 PM, StinkyBunny said:

My machine shop teacher always used to say

"A little lube goes a long way"

• Haha 5
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

It’s only two months old.... so yes. 😊

Ahh yeah that's true :smilie:. Glad they hooked ya up. I had a marineland canister filter when I had the cichilds, and the impeller shaft snapped. I called them up and they shipped me a whole new set up. I just had to send them back the top half of the canister.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Ahh yeah that's true :smilie:. Glad they hooked ya up. I had a marineland canister filter when I had the cichilds, and the impeller shaft snapped. I called them up and they shipped me a whole new set up. I just had to send them back the top half of the canister.

How the hell did you break a Marineland filtre? I have one here that's more than likely older than you.

• Haha 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

How the hell did you break a Marineland filtre? I have one here that's more than likely older than you.

lol I didn't. The filter was making an ungodly noise. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from, I started taking it apart and the ceramic shaft where the impeller was came out in two pieces. It was the craziest thing.

It was over a year and half old so they sent me out a brand new canister. They are extremely nice, I'll give them that :smilie:

• Like 2
1 minute ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

lol I didn't. The filter was making an ungodly noise. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from, I started taking it apart and the ceramic shaft where the impeller was came out in two pieces. It was the craziest thing.

Superglue it. I fixed a big pond shaft with superglue and it got us through the season. Little one should be no problem. 

• Like 5
15 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

It was over a year and half old so they sent me out a brand new canister. They are extremely nice, I'll give them that :smilie:

Shit, mine is from the early 80s, lol. Still plugging along.

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
9 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Got my pump back on yay! 

2367E68C-6B08-4D51-9A37-078D88E57157.thumb.jpeg.a4872061d479bd524f2f855eec8dc9d5.jpeg

I need to get rid of those two large pieces on the left. 

Awesome! Back in business :wink:

Just now, StinkyBunny said:

Shit, mine is from the early 80s, lol. Still plugging along.

I've heard people knock marineland but they do have some pretty good stuff. I'm sure now a days it's garbage.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just cleaned my pump for the first time... Man those little ceramic rods are so delicate, the one on the little 660gph eflux pump is terrifyingly thin, think like a #2 pencil led. Seems like theres room for improvement in the pump game, particularly for smaller tanks. There's definitely a dearth of really high quality equipment sized for nano tanks in general. When youre relying on a total of 3 pieces of equipment to keep the tank stable, it'd be nice to know that the equipment is rock solid. Heaters and pumps in particular are something I'd be willing to pay good money for if someone offered a truly reliable model.

• Like 1
  • WV Reefer changed the title to WV Reefer's 12 Gallon Long and Dirty: Home of The Worm