SaltCritters.com

40 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Love the St. Thomas mushroom!  Wish I still had mine. :(

That poor leptastrea... :mellow:  Need to put that favia in time out! :P

St Thomas Mushrooms are my favorite right now.  :wub:

i wish I could move the leptastrea but it's so small I'm sure it would fall apart. It seems to be growing on the opposite side.... trying to run away from the favia I guess.  

• Like 3
1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

St Thomas Mushrooms are my favorite right now.  :wub:

i wish I could move the leptastrea but it's so small I'm sure it would fall apart. It seems to be growing on the opposite side.... trying to run away from the favia I guess.  

They've been some of my faves since I had a bright green one from Coral Morphologic years ago, they have so much personality for a mushroom!  Lost the two I had in my epic crash a few weeks back.  :closedeyes:  Was going to replace them until I lost my job last week lol.  Oh well.

Run, little leptastrea, run!  :lol:  I was reading, I think it was in Natalia's reef bowl thread, Brandon recommended using a piece of plastic like from a pack of batteries to make a shield to protect other corals from ones with sweepers.  Might that be a temporary option to protect it until it manages to grow far enough away?

• Like 2
Just now, Lula_Mae said:

They've been some of my faves since I had a bright green one from Coral Morphologic years ago, they have so much personality for a mushroom!  Lost the two I had in my epic crash a few weeks back.  :closedeyes:  Was going to replace them until I lost my job last week lol.  Oh well.

Run, little leptastrea, run!  :lol:  I was reading, I think it was in Natalia's reef bowl thread, Brandon recommended using a piece of plastic like from a pack of batteries to make a shield to protect other corals from ones with sweepers.  Might that be a temporary option to protect it until it manages to grow far enough away?

Sorry about the tank crash.  That sucks. 

I was was thinking of doing something like that as protection. I am keeping my eye on the little guy.  That Favia is nasty!

43 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Sorry about the tank crash.  That sucks. 

I was was thinking of doing something like that as protection. I am keeping my eye on the little guy.  That Favia is nasty!

Thanks, it was a pretty rough couple of weeks, watching things die one by one.  Now that I got my evil pom pom crab out, I think she may have been contributing to the demise of some of my favorite pieces...once she was gone my husband remarked that things had been doing better ever since we took her back to the store! :huh:

Favias are so pretty but I have not wanted to risk one in my teeny tanks...they'd probably sting everything in there! :o

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

evil pom pom crab?  what was it doing? 

Haha well, the whole long dramatic story is detailed on my tank thread but basically, I had a pom pom crab named Shelby, full of personality.  She lost her poms in the tank crash so I bought another pom pom crab hoping they'd split poms.  Next day saw a crab running around with only one pom so thought maybe they had.  That night we found the two hanging on my red palm macro and realized...one of them had taken the pom and split it, so she had two small nems, and was EATING the other's leg!!! :blink: So we isolated that one and returned it to the store.  Day or two later, the remaining pom pom crab was dying (too beat up, I guess :() and I realized, after looking at pics, that the one I had returned to the store was not my new crab Shirley, as I thought, but Shelby, my original crab!  I'd had a couple corals that were doing well and recovering suddenly disappear when it was still just Shelby in the tank and had suspected she was involved (she was the only thing in the tank) but couldn't be sure (and had never heard of pom poms eating corals so I doubted myself).  Once she was taken to the LFS, my husband remarked that the tank was doing a lot better without her in there lol.

So tl;dr, evil pom pom suspected of eating blastos and maybe rics and definitely guilty of attempted crabicide.  Now going to be someone else's problem lol.

gone_PHiSHin

wow i have never heard of pom poms eating corals...

i know crabs are opportunists but wouldn't expect pom poms to go after another live pom pom.

27 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

wow i have never heard of pom poms eating corals...

i know crabs are opportunists but wouldn't expect pom poms to go after another live pom pom.

lol yeah I never expected to see it either but the poor crab lived another 2-3 days with only seven legs, poor thing. :wacko:  I've never heard of pom poms eating corals either but given how well the tank is doing without her, and given her violent reaction to the other crab, I wouldn't put it past Shelby to have done just that.  She was a very unique, very bold pom pom though, I've never had one that was as out and about as she was.

Tonight I noticed a few spots on the rocks that looked a little fuzzy or something.  Then I noticed my Acan looked a little shrunken.

After some close inspection I found these little sh*ts-------

IMG_0344.thumb.JPG.9481af8df7646f4b05fb42eeb7f44288.JPGIMG_0346.thumb.JPG.775f698b251c2d5592d3250c9c51f56e.JPG

They are even on the Coral on that side!!  So now I have been picking and sucking them up as fast as I can go.  The Acan is on a plug so I will remove it, pluck them off and then dip again. 

:angry:

4 minutes ago, calvin said:

hydroids? If so and it continues to be a problem, keyhole limpets will eat them. Reef Cleaners might have some

Thanks for the tip. ;)

i am am going to keep picking at them tomorrow and see how things look.  They came on fast!

4 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

yeah i'm not sure what those are...

but i usually go with:  when in doubt, get them out!

Pretty sure it's hydroids.  Ive read some are worse than others. 

Right now I'm staying positive and hoping it's just a phase of my ever maturing tank. :mellow:

• Like 2
  • WV Reefer changed the title to WV Reefer's 12 Gallon Long and Dirty: Home of The Worm