ReefCleaners.org

11 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

So much fun watching life grow and crawl out of live rock.

Yes it is, the stuff I used to get from Indo was really nice. I'd get urchins, stars and all sorts of shrimp. Back in the 90s I got some sort of little eel in a box that crawled out and scared the shit out of me. Dealing with a toothy nope rope in subdued lighting was a challenge, lol.

• Haha 5
  • Wow 1
On 10/4/2021 at 8:11 PM, WV Reefer said:

Yep. Current USA Serene Back Light…….. it’s a little add on kit. Wasn’t sure I would like it but so far it’s ok to mess around with………  I need to try to program it to work on a schedule. 

Wow just discovered this Current back light thing exists! Really want to use it on my new build. Can it be programmed on a schedule? And do you see any problems if it were mounted at the top of the tank, pointing down?

Love the live liverock BTW! 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Orangutran said:

Wow just discovered this Current back light thing exists! Really want to use it on my new build. Can it be programmed on a schedule? And do you see any problems if it were mounted at the top of the tank, pointing down?

Love the live liverock BTW! 

Thanks. 

yeah, you can program it but I haven’t tried that yet. I’ll update when I do. 

I think it would work the same way pointing down. The back ground that is included has to be taped on so I bought film especially for frosting windows and it works and looks much better. 

the only downside is having to clean the back glass…… that’s the one place I usually don’t clean. 

• Like 3
On 11/15/2021 at 7:17 PM, WV Reefer said:

Thanks. 

yeah, you can program it but I haven’t tried that yet. I’ll update when I do. 

I think it would work the same way pointing down. The back ground that is included has to be taped on so I bought film especially for frosting windows and it works and looks much better. 

the only downside is having to clean the back glass…… that’s the one place I usually don’t clean. 

Does it only come with a remote? I can imagine programming would be tricky like a vcr!

I saw someone use rust-oleum frosted spray paint. 

Also you only have to clean the back glass when you have reefer friends over. 😀

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Orangutran said:

Does it only come with a remote? I can imagine programming would be tricky like a vcr!

I saw someone use rust-oleum frosted spray paint. 

Also you only have to clean the back glass when you have reefer friends over. 😀

Remote only. I may fool around with it some more this weekend and see what I can get it to do. 

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Love all the hitchiker macros! 🥰

Me too!  There are also two hitchhiker corals that I can’t really get a decent picture of yet. At this point I’m just watching the rocks grow….. no need to buy anything else. 

• Like 6
1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

Me too!  There are also two hitchhiker corals that I can’t really get a decent picture of yet. At this point I’m just watching the rocks grow….. no need to buy anything else. 

oh there are always things to buy.................... :biggrin:

• Haha 4
17 hours ago, spectra said:

oh there are always things to buy.................... :biggrin:

Didn't she already buy you a hat? 😄

435B4F83-A429-4C79-AFC3-0E361104F704.jpe

EDIT: I see she also bought you a shirt and neck gaiter too. 😄

• Haha 3

Full Tank ShotD80F3B18-D779-4379-ABCA-CE368531FDEE.thumb.jpeg.bf3613de00640625dd68f16e12961169.jpeg

This guy out again:

C5C190A0-AA8E-4693-8FF1-BD1EFFD6299A.thumb.jpeg.c099082e444eba83fa8dc6011d4877d0.jpeg

Crappy pics of the two hitchhiker corals that are improving:

75055B59-DB10-4446-93FB-91B2DDEC5B16.thumb.jpeg.cd7299a8597527e4082ff767f1eae2f8.jpeg

9B0E15FD-8085-42AC-93E0-7B85C0856CA8.thumb.jpeg.9f2714e04d8522f7fd2baaf9b61098bf.jpeg

Still no more mantis sightings. The Eunice worm keeps switching rocks and eating macro. Seems to not be interested in my food offerings so far. 

• Like 5

Your mystery coral is probably Montastrea cavernosa. It grows quite well in captivity and is one of the places that Neon gobies will set up their cleaning stations on the reef.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Your mystery coral is probably Montastrea cavernosa. It grows quite well in captivity and is one of the places that Neon gobies will set up their cleaning stations on the reef.

Cool. It’s just now gaining enough color to really tell much about it. 

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

More sprouts:

2C408220-40A2-49B9-833E-F4F742D4639D.thumb.jpeg.4de3bc9ef1d259e4134b76949326bf28.jpeg

C01A5A7E-4DAE-4A68-9C47-49880C5918A4.thumb.jpeg.44bff435e1a15f932a7b47a3a5b92a87.jpeg

ECA09385-A2E7-4073-B5B2-F9D5D302A053.thumb.jpeg.415d0456426affb062fb56a38a3c3456.jpeg

0BF5AB90-110F-4F5F-A90B-DC9AE312C4C0.thumb.jpeg.c3120e29a35cc7f1f57c7d449fccbc78.jpeg

This guy again….. you can see his rhinophores and gills in this pic. 

6C2D6C13-867F-43BD-B035-C26D59F62D96.thumb.jpeg.17b64c97398a8ab1da26794bcadfa8eb.jpeg

This is seriously so cool. I absolutely love microfauna/hitchikers. Waiting to see what else pops up in this tank! 👀

• Like 1
Just now, Snow_Phoenix said:

This is seriously so cool. I absolutely love microfauna/hitchikers. Waiting to see what else pops up in this tank! 👀

Me too!

I need to make a complete list of things that have popped up on the rocks. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Is the mantis still alive by any chance? 

Not sure. I haven’t seen it again but I swear that I hear things in there at night.

I found a tiny claw on the sand recently and I wondered if maybe there was a pistol in there somewhere and maybe that’s the noise I hear….. It definitely wasn’t a mantis part. 

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Not sure. I haven’t seen it again but I swear that I hear things in there at night.

I found a tiny claw on the sand recently and I wondered if maybe there was a pistol in there somewhere and maybe that’s the noise I hear….. It definitely wasn’t a mantis part. 

Hmm. Sounds like a pistol indeed - if the mantis is still alive, perhaps the pistol had a run-in with it (just a loose theory). 

I really miss seeing LR for sale at the store here. They do have dry rock which they submerge under SW in a huge tank on sale now, but since it started off dry, there's no interesting 'life' to the pieces. 😕

Few years back, the store used to sell huge tanks worth of LR which were full of live hitchikers. I remember seeing a 6" yellow-spotted gray cucumber (still alive) on one of the rocks. So cool! 

• Like 2
  • WV Reefer changed the title to WV Reefer's 12 Gallon Long and Dirty: Home of The Worm