Cultivated Reef

►► WEB DUDES, DOMAIN ISH QUESTION ◄◄

inTank

We stared the process of bringing our almost 10 year old site up to speed before life changes foreva in June.  My largest debate at this moment is on our domain.  If we change it now is the time.

We can't have inTank.com just not gonna happen even though it redirects.  Been watching this thing for years.  Company that owns it is gigantic.

• mediabaskets.com is hardly a company name and only describes 40% of our business.  But it is a .com and all links would stay the same
  • We own intankllc.com  But personally I really dislike that LLC part it's like the old days,  Construction INC.  Who gives a crap your legal status.  But, it does contain our company name and is a .com
  • We also own inTank.fish  Which is cool, and makes sense but is .fish one of those not so serious domains?

Do domains even matter any more with the world of searching, adwords and mobile platforms? 

I get it, if we switch our SEO will tank for a bit.  The 10s of thousands of links on forums will only redirect to our home page instead of a product page.  But spiders search and they'll find the relevant product.  Plus we are so diversified listing on eBay, Amazon and WalMart cold called us.  Is a .com really that important to a company like ours?

Am I just overthinking all of this?

Stick with:

mediabaskets.com

Change to:

intankllc.com

intank.fish

something else?  LOL outtank.com is available

valiantjared

why not buy intank.fish, allows you to keep your branding. Keep mediabaskets and have it redirect to intank. (my opinion)

Christopher Marks

The biggest thing is making sure your old URLs 301 redirect to the new pages on the new site, then your search engine traffic won't be disrupted. If you change the domain name too, you can actually submit a change of address to Google and Bing through their webmaster tools, once you're sure everything is redirecting properly. If you have to completely start over from scratch, the new site will get reindexed eventually, but the search results hit might be worse than you'd expect. The more old URLs you can redirect the better, consider how many direct links are shared just here on the forums alone.

I don't think .com extensions matter as much as they used to. The market is flooded with new extensions and they've been out for awhile now, search online and see how the SEO gurus are feeling about them today. Average web users are probably still less familiar though, a .com might still hold some weight after all.

Oceanbox Designs

These are available and it covered everything you sell.

intankaquatics.com

intankaquatic.com

You could setup a 301 permanent domain forwarding in advance DNS settings. That's how I do it when ever I switched domain. I own oceanboxdesign.com (without the "s") and oceanboxreef.com, both are being forwarded to oceanboxdesigns.com.

29 minutes ago, valiantjared said:

why not buy intank.fish, allows you to keep your branding. Keep mediabaskets and have it redirect to intank. (my opinion)

We do own intank.fish

Currently it redirects to our site.  We have been playing with it on a few marketing materials.

Definitely will not give up mediabaskets.com

32 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

The biggest thing is making sure your old URLs 301 redirect to the new pages on the new site, consider how many direct links are shared just here on the forums alone.

search online and see how the SEO gurus are feeling about them today. Average web users are probably still less familiar though, a .com might still hold some weight after all.

I was reading a lot last night and most say it isn't as important any more.  Past the top 20 companies it's like 56% of the next level larger companies have a .com now a days.

301 for sure.  Guessing that involves link by link redirect, have to look into it further.  Or is it just when they click on an old product link it would take to the new home page and not the actual product page?  We currently have 360 products, meaning 360 links.  I'd say I actually care about 70% of those.

On N-R alone there are almost 12,000 links posted to our current domain.

inTank.fish is just kind of cool.  And verbally giving out mediabaskets.com over the phone for email addy ect sucks balls.  You have to spell it out

Christopher Marks
41 minutes ago, Oceanbox Designs said:

intankaquatics.com

intankaquatic.com

I like these. Easy to say, easy to write.

The 301 redirects should ideally redirect to the same content the old link would have provided, all 360 product links, plus things like your contact page, shipping page, etc. Even if you have to do it manually with a .htaccess file and all 360 links mapped out to their new URLs, it's worth the trouble. If every link just goes to the homepage, Google will probably penalize you in results until the new site is reindexed. Continuity is everything these days, and Google doesn't like to send their users to broken links, so they just stop showing you in results. 

This new site had to reroute old links, not just from the last forum software, but 3 website generations before it too. Most old links to topics and gallery images posted on the forum all the way back to 2005 will still direct to the latest versions of that content. Since there's literally millions of possible links, it's done programmatically.

personally, if I do not get to the correct site first crack I just google the company name. In your case I can never remember intank.com is not yours and end up googling it anyway. The  .Com is nice, but completely not required any longer.

Have you tried contacting the company that owns intank.com? I like intankaquatics.com as well. intankreef.com? gfyintank.com could also work :)

Intankaquatics.com is a good fit. 

Intank.com redirects to a weird name you might have a chance buying it but I doubt it by the looks of the size of that company :lol: 

48 minutes ago, Got Corals said:

Hi_ How about InTank.net reasonably popular in the commerce world. :)

Good Luck.

Reefgardener did the .net for years until she could finally buy .com. 

Just change to wintank.com and then grab a box of permanent markers and add in the W as needed.

I can help. 

staples-fine-multi-color-markers.jpg

I can't ever remember your site anyway, I always have to google it. I like Intankaquatics.com as well-it's easy to remember, but .com isn't that big of a deal anymore; if you have a real customer base (which you already do), people are going to continue to use your site anyway. .fish is fun, but fishy sounding, so if they are not a part of your customer base and don't believe in testimonials, you might run into some trouble.

Archived