themummra

Bionoob 29; Time to Upgrade to a 40!

wow great job with the tank i love it !!! wish i could see that i'm at work all the time lol 

• Like 1

Lula_Mae   
1 hour ago, themummra said:

Two months since the last update, time flies!

Everything has been going pretty great. I was gone for 5 days and my firefish jumped unfortunately. I think he was tired of the nem moving around so much. I finally had time to change up the rockwork and I think he is settled. I got pretty frustrated one night after he took up residency in the first chamber of the biocube. I was hoping it would split from all this but it is still going strong!

3 hermits are alive, 2 trochus and 3 cerith also alive. The nassarius baby hitchikers I got have survived and there are now 10 healthy ones I feed regularly. I love getting them all on one piece of shrimp or scallop, snail party! 

For the big news, I am going to upgrade to a 40breeder within a month, maybe two but hopefully we before that. I'm going to do a simple aquaclear 110 hob on the back for now, and then work on setting up a sump. 

Oh and I picked up a few frags of zoanthids today from a local reefer. 

A few heads each of some scrambled eggs, sunny d and gobstoppers.

Firefish are notorious jumpers.  I love scrambled eggs, I can't wait to get some!

Not the best pics, I still need to get a filter to cancel out the blue

FTS: Mg98rQir.jpg

New Zoanthids: Scrambled Eggs, Sunny D, Gobstopper.
Refragged the SE and Sunny but I couldn't get the gobstoppers off easily
KvLHIt5r.jpg

Rapidly Growing Reverse Gorilla Nipples. This all came off 1 frag when I started
KeREiVr.jpg

I moved the GSP from the back wall onto a rock, and the BTA is in the background
sdwqdvT.jpg

I still haven't figure out what zoa these are. Red fringe, blue inside and an almost white center.

https://i.imgur.com/C8Rl73L.png

• Like 1

I am grateful to be able to do so much of my work from home. I get to see so many little things in my tank. Today I saw one of the Trochus snails releasing a cloud of sperm into the water.

The Sunny D's and Gobstoppers skirt's are already getting colored in. Its amazing what some good light can do. }}

Still trying to find an ID on those red/blue/white zoas.

• Like 3

Will 2x Hydor Evo 550/600 be sufficient for the powerheads in my 40b?

A couple weeks away from having the 40b setup. Just started the dry rock cycling in a rubbermaid.

Narrowly avoided the mistake of buying a Cobalt Neotherm earlier today. I found a pretty big thread about how they have been blowing up. Still need to decide on powerheads. I am setting it up with a HOB to start but I will add a sump later on once I figure that design out.

I've been slacking on water tests, haven't done in any ~2 months. However I have been doing regular weekly 20% water changes with homemade RODI. Everything is healthy and looking good! I have also replaced my chemipure, purigen, filter floss when needed.

I'll be keeping my Biocube up as a quarantine. Do I make that bare bottom and have sand in the 40g, or the other way around.

That's what I'm thinking. 

I would really like to preserve the fauna in the sandbed. I can get the nassarius snails out but I'd prefer not to just kill everything else in it. 

Would it be a bad idea to mix it in with new sand and put that into the 40?

Ranjib   
1 hour ago, themummra said:

That's what I'm thinking. 

I would really like to preserve the fauna in the sandbed. I can get the nassarius snails out but I'd prefer not to just kill everything else in it. 

Would it be a bad idea to mix it in with new sand and put that into the 40?

Depends upon your patience level. Have to be done very slow.. like hand or spoonful of sand at a time.. I had done partial changes (wanted to change just fine sand bed to fine + coarse mixed ),. I still encountered some serious cyano .. which i think was due to the silicate but i think cyano got a chance because the natural fauna was less. I will be experimenting with separately cycling sand (in a different tank ,. say for couple of months .. till algae grows)  and then introduce them