Innovative Marine Aquariums

Bionoob 29; Frag Pictures

graftobny142

On 5/6/2017 at 6:33 PM, themummra said:

What about a nudi specific bag :)

IMG_9030.JPG

Wow. :blink:

You gonna keep getting Zoas to feed it and all it's pestilential offspring?

I kill 'em with fire or whatever the heck is on hand. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Wow. :blink:

You gonna keep getting Zoas to feed it and all it's pestilential offspring?

I kill 'em with fire or whatever the heck is on hand. 

I would too lol.  OP, think of them as like cockroaches, invading, taking over and eating everything they shouldn't.

graftobny142

If cockroaches looked this cool I would keep an insect cage too hah.

it likes the gorilla nipple zoas which seem to grow really fast, and I already have a bunch. I imagine it will take a couple months for him to eat all of that piece?

what does the damage they do look like ? I can't tell if the zoas are harmed but he's always on them

3 minutes ago, themummra said:

it likes the gorilla nipple zoas which seem to grow really fast, and I already have a bunch. I imagine it will take a couple months for him to eat all of that piece?

what does the damage they do look like ? I can't tell if the zoas are harmed but he's always on them

They eat the Zoas. 

And then when their evil tummies are all full of Zoa nom-noms, they lay eggs to spread the pestilence. 

Cockroaches wasn't a bad comparison. 

Or Tribbles. 

Tribbles might even be better cos they're cute, but they multiply like crazy while you're sitting there all gooey-eyed and "Awwwww" over their cuteness.

graftobny142
50 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

They eat the Zoas. 

And then when their evil tummies are all full of Zoa nom-noms, they lay eggs to spread the pestilence. 

Cockroaches wasn't a bad comparison. 

Or Tribbles. 

Tribbles might even be better cos they're cute, but they multiply like crazy while you're sitting there all gooey-eyed and "Awwwww" over their cuteness.

I want to see him slurping down zoa 'tentacles' like spaghetti.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, themummra said:

Haha you should look up the domino cockroach, orange domino cockroach, and question mark cockroach.  If ever there were such a thing as a "cute" roach, those would be it.  Can find videos of them on Youtube as well.

I have a few varieties of isopods (pillbugs) and find them pretty adorable, especially the giant canyon isopod.  They're such clowns!  They even won my husband over lol.

40 minutes ago, themummra said:

I want to see him slurping down zoa 'tentacles' like spaghetti.

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...
graftobny142

Just got back from a 10 day vacation to Florida! Explored some tide pools and saw some cool little anemones, I'll post a pic once I get once I get some sleep.

My upstairs neighbor helped take care of the tank while I was gone. I had her add a cup of RODI every 3 days and feed a pinch of flake every day. Wrapped a towel around the glass and set only my blue light on for 6 hours a day. 

The zoanthids look a little weak and the xenia shriveled, but everything else is alright. Firefish, crabs and snails alive. Frogspawn is healthy as ever, its growing so fast. 

Mixing some saltwater now, other than that I changed the filter pad. The purigen and chemipure are just a few days shy of 30 days of use. I need to check them.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, themummra said:

Just got back from a 10 day vacation to Florida! Explored some tide pools and saw some cool little anemones, I'll post a pic once I get once I get some sleep.

My upstairs neighbor helped take care of the tank while I was gone. I had her add a cup of RODI every 3 days and feed a pinch of flake every day. Wrapped a towel around the glass and set only my blue light on for 6 hours a day. 

The zoanthids look a little weak and the xenia shriveled, but everything else is alright. Firefish, crabs and snails alive. Frogspawn is healthy as ever, its growing so fast. 

Mixing some saltwater now, other than that I changed the filter pad. The purigen and chemipure are just a few days shy of 30 days of use. I need to check them.

Welcome back!!

Just now, themummra said:

Tossed in a handful of shells from the beach and one of the Blue-Legs hopped right in!

Cool!!!

Hey, whatever happened to the Nudi Bag Habitat?

graftobny142

I think they Nudi dissolved while I was away :( Tossed the bag after I couldn't find him in it.

1 minute ago, Weetabix7 said:

Cool!!!

Hey, whatever happened to the Nudi Bag Habitat?

5 minutes ago, themummra said:

I think they Nudi dissolved while I was away :( Tossed the bag after I couldn't find him in it.

Well, it was an interesting experiment, at any rate. 

graftobny142

Found a really small aiptasia on the side of one of my gorilla zoa stalks. Can I just remove the whole stalk and be alright?

7 minutes ago, themummra said:

Found a really small aiptasia on the side of one of my gorilla zoa stalks. Can I just remove the whole stalk and be alright?

Sure, as long as you don't mind losing that stalk. 

Cut with an xacto knife or razor blade. 

graftobny142

Planning on cutting the stalk tomorrow morning before the head is extended

I found this long white stalk coming out of my Xenia. Anyone know what it is? Some time of sponge maybe?

IMG_9176.JPG

IMG_9179.PNG

Just now, themummra said:

Planning on cutting the stalk tomorrow morning before the head is extended

I found this long white stalk coming out of my Xenia. Anyone know what it is? Some time of sponge maybe?

IMG_9176.JPG

IMG_9179.PNG

Evil Nudi Progeny. :ninja:

J/K, looks like prob some kinda funky sponge. 

graftobny142

Hah the nudis are biding their time to counterattack.

here is something interesting. I had no idea that zoanthids would turn toward the light like this. Only an hour after tank lights went out, they had all turned toward the sun coming in the window.

IMG_9180.JPG

IMG_9181.JPG

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, themummra said:

Hah the nudis are biding their time to counterattack.

here is something interesting. I had no idea that zoanthids would turn toward the light like this. Only an hour after tank lights went out, they had all turned toward the sun coming in the window.

IMG_9180.JPG

IMG_9181.JPG

That's pretty cool, just like flowers turning toward the sun!!

• Like 1
graftobny142
25 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

That's pretty cool, just like flowers turning toward the sun!!

Thats exactly what I thought of when I saw it. 

I wonder if most of their zooxanthellae are in their stalks or their heads.

Just curious how long did your tank take to cycle?  I just started a 29 gallon biocube last week. My ammonia is at zero but nitrites are still high. 

graftobny142
15 minutes ago, Oilers71 said:

Just curious how long did your tank take to cycle?  I just started a 29 gallon biocube last week. My ammonia is at zero but nitrites are still high. 

It took about 2 weeks. I used an ammonia solution, dosed a little high to 8.0ppm+

Here were my test results 4 days in

and 22 days in

MP1VwrR.jpg

11tXQQ4.png

I made a blackout curtain out of some black denim and Velcro strips.

Works perfectly and looks a lot better than a towel. I eliminated all the cyano and gha I had been seen by better timing the light cycle and reducing ambient sunlight 

Ok I did the raw shrimp method to kick mine off. I left it in for like 4 days. I think on day 3 my ammonia was off the chart. Now I just ghost feed the tank every other day to keep the good bacteria alive. This is my first reef tank. I'm being very patient but I can't wait for the nitrites to zero out so I can do a water change and put something in the tank. I used dry rock, dry sand and one piece of live rock to help seed it. 

graftobny142

You don't need to ghost feed until the cycle is complete, and only if you aren't going to add any life to it at that point.

the cycle is to develop a high amount of nitrification bacteria so that your tank can convert ammonia (fish waste) into nitrates. If you keep ghost feeding you will keep your cycle going until you stop inputting the food.

Feeding will also kick the nitrites up a bit as well. I imagine if you stopped you would see your cycle take the ammonia and nitrites to 0 within a few days.

I appreciate the advice. I test every day and ammonia is has been at zero since day 6. I'll stop ghost feeding and wait it out. I noticed with yours you added a cuc first. I don't have ANY algae at all so I was planning on adding two clowns first then a cuc after. Can you see any potential problems with that?

Are you still using the stock lighting in the biocube?