Innovative Marine Aquariums

Bionoob 29; Frag Pictures

graftobny142

graftobny142

Pieces of it had been slowly doing that over the last 2 weeks or so. It hasn't been happy since the day I got it. I think I moved it around too much, and it was in too high flow. 

Taking it off the plug could have been the final straw

1 minute ago, themummra said:

Pieces of it had been slowly doing that over the last 2 weeks or so. It hasn't been happy since the day I got it. I think I moved it around too much, and it was in too high flow. 

Taking it off the plug could have been the final straw

Oooh, yeah, that could do it. 

For future reference, don't remove already stressed corals from a frag plug, unless you have lugol's on hand to dip them in. 

Actually, don't do it anyway. 

And yes, being in high flow could also have stressed it. 

I think you diagnosed that one just fine on your own. 

Yeah rics don't really like high flow, ime.  Taking off the plug probably did it in.

If you need to isolate ailing corals you can try getting a magnetic frag rack or even use a soap dish with suction cups, to hold it up away from harassing CC members and out of heavy flow. ;)

• Like 1
graftobny142

I think I'll need to rearrange the rockscape. No matter where I put him he kept folding up on the side the water was coming from.

A central island with space around it will be easier to manage.

17 minutes ago, themummra said:

I think I'll need to rearrange the rockscape. No matter where I put him he kept folding up on the side the water was coming from.

A central island with space around it will be easier to manage.

Either that, or change your flow pattern. 

graftobny142

Ammonia is at 0, nitrates at 20 still. Due for another water change.

Ive decided on a refurb spectrapure RODI. I know I should also get a flush valve to flush waste before the DI resin. Are there any other must haves with the system? I'll be hooking it up to my sink hopefully 

8 minutes ago, themummra said:

Ammonia is at 0, nitrates at 20 still. Due for another water change.

Ive decided on a refurb spectrapure RODI. I know I should also get a flush valve to flush waste before the DI resin. Are there any other must haves with the system? I'll be hooking it up to my sink hopefully 

I can't think of anything else. 

6 minutes ago, themummra said:

TDS meter came in today, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZZEOOA/

Contrary to reviews it does measure in Fahrenheit as well, but the temp takes ~20-30s to get to the right temp. The TDS part works very fast though.

My incoming tap water is only at 60TDS. That should mean my RODI filters last a good amount of time?

It should help. 

1 hour ago, themummra said:

FTS

The GSP from you is doing great, I can see a bunch of mini ones already sprouting on the edges. 

FullSizeRender.jpg

I love it, this looks good!!

I like the Firefish, the Gorilla Nipples Zoas in front look good, and I'm happy that the GSP is doing so well for you!!

That wall will look really good once their growth really starts taking off, which it sounds like it's just at the start of. 

gone_PHiSHin

hydroids!

from my research, they seem to grow in population for a while in new tanks then slowly fade over time.

it happened in my tank a month or so after it finished cycling.  i still see them occasionally on the glass but not nearly as numerous as in the beginning 

graftobny142

I love the little life that is appearing in here. Being able to observe it everyday is so cool! I would never have seen all these organisms otherwise

• Like 3
graftobny142

My nitrates have not been below 10-20ppm since cycling.

I suspect it is the flake food I am feeding if anything. Will switching to PE mysis solve that problem?

Weetabix7
22 hours ago, themummra said:

I love the little life that is appearing in here. Being able to observe it everyday is so cool! I would never have seen all these organisms otherwise

I have always loved observing that as well!!!

Not sure if switching to Mysis would help or not, but it wouldn't hurt to try. 

graftobny142

It at least should be healthier! 

Having better access to rodi water will help. My system should be here Thursday.

• Like 1
Weetabix7
9 minutes ago, themummra said:

Cyano on glass? This could be harder to remove since I can't peroxide scrub it.

IMG_8957.PNG

Just wipe it off the glass and clean the scrubber. 

graftobny142

Now I'm in the big leagues! Got my spectrapure rodi setup. Super easy.

TDS readings:

input (garden hose): 55ppm

after ro: 0-1ppm

output: 0ppm

pressure is a little low at 45-50, the only hose I had on hand is 50ft so that's cutting the psi a bit.

IMG_8959.JPG

• Like 1
graftobny142

Turned on the lights and what did I see? A nudibranch on top of a zoa! He started climbing down as soon as the light cane on, but I got him.

too risky to put back? I don't want it to die :/

IMG_9027.PNG

Narzyzz_12

More than likely it's a zoa eating nudi and it'll consume your polyps before they have chance to grow or set up a nudi specific tank and feed it zoas

graftobny142
4 hours ago, Narzyzz_12 said:

More than likely it's a zoa eating nudi and it'll consume your polyps before they have chance to grow or set up a nudi specific tank and feed it zoas

What about a nudi specific bag :)

IMG_9030.JPG

graftobny142

Nudibranch is loving life in his zoa bag. Moves around between the heads getting a bite where he can.

All 3 hermit crabs moved switched shells last night. The biggest moved into a new shell, and the others upgraded to each left behind.