Innovative Marine Aquariums

Bionoob 29; Frag Pictures

graftobny142

graftobny142

I don't have a dremel yet so I'll just be using a blade. That should be enough for zoas as they are soft

ill have to get a dremel once I need to cut my cane and frogspawn!

7 hours ago, themummra said:

Caught this guy last night while inspecting the tank

IMG_3591.JPG

Hmm, I think it's a possibility that these can be bad. 

graftobny142

Good thing he's out. I thought it was a Cirolanid after frantically looking up ID pictures at 2am. 

I spotted a small of cyano today on some live rock. I took the rock out, chipped the piece off and scrubbed with peroxide. 

When I took the rock out this guy was floating around the water. Gave me quite a sting when I picked him up, felt like a bunch of cactus needles in my finger.

IMG_8845.PNG

gone_PHiSHin
13 minutes ago, themummra said:

Good thing he's out. I thought it was a Cirolanid after frantically looking up ID pictures at 2am. 

I spotted a small of cyano today on some live rock. I took the rock out, chipped the piece off and scrubbed with peroxide. 

When I took the rock out this guy was floating around the water. Gave me quite a sting when I picked him up, felt like a bunch of cactus needles in my finger.

IMG_8845.PNG

i would definitely like to know if this is a 'good' isopod or a 'bad' one...pretty sure i have them in my tank.

6 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

i would definitely like to know if this is a 'good' isopod or a 'bad' one...pretty sure i have them in my tank.

This one looks like an Amphipod, although I'm wondering about those front arms. I've never heard of an Amphipod stinging anyone before either. 

The pic that was posted earlier, before this one, looked like a Cirolanid Isopod, a different critter. 

gone_PHiSHin

i find those (the second picture) in my tank during feeding and at night crawling around on the sand or in the rocks.  every now and then i will see what seems to be a molt from one of them floating around in my tank as well.  honestly i don't remember seeing such large front arms but i'll have to get a better look next time i see one.  or maybe i can get a picture of one of the molts.

so these are good?  can anyone confirm?

graftobny142
17 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

This one looks like an Amphipod, although I'm wondering about those front arms. I've never heard of an Amphipod stinging anyone before either. 

The pic that was posted earlier, before this one, looked like a Cirolanid Isopod, a different critter. 

When I found the Amphipod it was just floating and not moving, could it have been killed by the bristleworm in my tank and those are the spikes I felt when I picked it up?

@gone_PHiSHin , I think the Amphipod itself is harmless. I found several pictures online that match. They can eat dead/decaying coral bits but shouldn't bother anything alive.

graftobny142

Cleaned a patch of Cyanobacteria today, removed the rock and broke the chunk off that it was on.

also found my third cerith who had been missing for a week. He was chilling in the third filter chamber.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, themummra said:

When I found the Amphipod it was just floating and not moving, could it have been killed by the bristleworm in my tank and those are the spikes I felt when I picked it up?

@gone_PHiSHin , I think the Amphipod itself is harmless. I found several pictures online that match. They can eat dead/decaying coral bits but shouldn't bother anything alive.

Hmm, that's an interesting thought, I hadn't considered that. 

Tho it seems more likely that it had already died and a bristleworm was nibbling it's carcass, since Pods are much faster than Bristleworms. 

graftobny142

Did a 5g water change today, vacuumed the sand during this to clear some diatoms and cyano off. I still have 2 patches of cyano on live rock in an area that is not getting much flow.

I think I am going to rearrange the aquascape to have a central shape instead of the arch...I've had a hell of a time finding a spot for my ricordea. It's still not happy.

tl1l8Km.jpg

36 minutes ago, themummra said:

Can I use something like these LED strips for a fuge light?

https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-6000-6500K-Waterproof-Lights-Bright/dp/B00X5MEHGS

I think that would work, but I believe you'd have to get the transformer as well. 

This might work better, it's everything you'd need: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X84LMHK/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3EQCIM9V5D8KS

graftobny142

Ricordea is struggling hard. It has been folding a lot and mucus stuff was coming off of it yesterday. Trying to see what I can do. I popped the rock it's on off the frag plug. Now it's sitting in a container in tank with some broken up rock. 

Good news, I put this in today. Ammonia is at 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20, in hoping my nitrates will finally get down. I'll get some chaeto for the fuge soon

IMG_8915.PNG

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, themummra said:

Ricordea is struggling hard. It has been folding a lot and mucus stuff was coming off of it yesterday. Trying to see what I can do. I popped the rock it's on off the frag plug. Now it's sitting in a container in tank with some broken up rock. 

Good news, I put this in today. Ammonia is at 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20, in hoping my nitrates will finally get down. I'll get some chaeto for the fuge soon

IMG_8915.PNG

Have you tried a dip in Lugol's iodine? That can help struggling corals.  A couple drops in a cup or two of tank water for 3-5 mins or so. :)

• Like 1
gone_PHiSHin

wow

ive never used chemipure.  that seems like a ton.  my GFO and carbon bags are tiny compared to that, like a tablespoon each 

graftobny142
1 hour ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

wow

ive never used chemipure.  that seems like a ton.  my GFO and carbon bags are tiny compared to that, like a tablespoon each 

It does seem big. But this is the one I got, https://www.amazon.com/Boyd-Enterprises-ABE16742-Chemipure-6-5-Ounce/dp/B00BS96U60/, and it says its good for up to 25g.

I am going to switch to homemade gfo/carbon bags. Just got this until I figure the amounts out for that.

How does lugol's iodine compare to bayer in terms of effect? 

Does it do something besides kill pests?

32 minutes ago, themummra said:

It does seem big. But this is the one I got, https://www.amazon.com/Boyd-Enterprises-ABE16742-Chemipure-6-5-Ounce/dp/B00BS96U60/, and it says its good for up to 25g.

I am going to switch to homemade gfo/carbon bags. Just got this until I figure the amounts out for that.

How does lugol's iodine compare to bayer in terms of effect? 

Does it do something besides kill pests?

Lugol's can be used medicinally to dip corals that are unhappy for some reason.  It does kill pests but I think Bayer is supposed to be more effective?  I only use Lugol's so far but would probably pick up Bayer if I had a larger tank.

Bayer and CoralRx are what I would use to kill pests. 

I use lugol's dips as a "healing" dip, to help irritated or wounded corals recover or to perk up unhappy corals that have been struggling, etc. 

I also use it after fragging to help them heal and recover from the fragging process more quickly. 

Lula gave you good guidelines. 

I do one cup tankwater, 1-2 drops lugol's, 3-5 mins in dip then return to tank. 

I bet it would help the ricordea. 

• Like 1
graftobny142

Before I could even order the iodine, the Ricordea lost its battle.

Does this look like anything specific or just an unhappy coral? It is drained away as I poured the water out.

IMG_3859.JPG

2 hours ago, themummra said:

Does this look like anything specific or just an unhappy coral? It is drained away as I poured the water out.

IMG_3859.JPG

Is that the remains of your ricordea?  Looks pretty melted to me.  :(

2 hours ago, themummra said:

IMG_3859.JPG

That definitely is melted, not sure exactly what would have caused it. 

Has anything changed at all in your tank in the last couple of days?

What are your parameters now?