ReefCleaners.org

Bionoob 29; Frag Pictures

graftobny142

I'll favor redosing ammonia.. it looks like you are going past the nitrate phase now.. a smaller nitrogen cycle perhaps.. theres no harm in doing a rigorous nitrogen cycle.. at the end, you have to check if its stabilized or not by adding tiny amount of foods, and checking that this does not spike ammonia (after the probably a week after ammona dosing is stopped) or till algae/diano bloom kicks in. I have never tried with ammonia (I use just LR/LS + some flake foods), but I spend lot longer in the nitrogen cycle.

graftobny142
On 3/17/2017 at 5:33 PM, Weetabix7 said:

Who knew colored water in test tubes could be so exciting, right?? :lol:

Im a Chemistry nerd so I love this kind of stuff!

Nitrates are up! 

odYlLFZ.png

• Like 4
graftobny142

Ammonia still down, nitrites going down and Nitrates are 100+ppm

Found a store with a clean, organized invertebrate section. And they are in a fishless system. Which is great as I do not have a quarantine setup yet.

• Like 1
graftobny142

Progress!

I put a couple flakes of food in yesterday, now my nitrites are 0 or close to it. Should I do a water change and then stock CUC? 

CdaWk4g.png

• Like 1

I would wait until ammonia and nitrites are completely zero. Then do a large enough water change to get your nitrate down to a safe level.

Then, it would be safe to add a CUC in terms of these water parameters, but don't forget a CUC needs food, so if you don't have anything really (algae, etc.) don't add a huge CUC.

• Like 1
graftobny142
11 minutes ago, xAyanex said:

I would wait until ammonia and nitrites are completely zero. Then do a large enough water change to get your nitrate down to a safe level.

Then, it would be safe to add a CUC in terms of these water parameters, but don't forget a CUC needs food, so if you don't have anything really (algae, etc.) don't add a huge CUC.

No signs of Algae at all yet. I'm surprised!

29 minutes ago, themummra said:

No signs of Algae at all yet. I'm surprised!

Don't be surprised. My tank was wet 4/27, Cycled in like 3 weeks, and I don't think I saw algae until late June, almost 2 months after my tank was set up. And even then it was just a diatom bloom.

graftobny142

Ammonia from the flakes I added is coming down, nitrites about 0. 

I want to get a CUC soon but I still have no algae. If I get just 1 hermit and 5 snails will they have enough to eat without any visible algae. 

jjDqRQg.png

• Like 1
graftobny142

Also updated the aquascape

Front, with that back rock piece for a little island of zoa/greenstar/something

DkDo7d2.png

Side. My tank is in a corner with only the front and right visible . So I've set it up to have the front show off one side of the reef, and the right show the other.

bxUAucq.png

graftobny142

Would it be ok for me to get 2 hermits and a small coral if my media basket wont be installed until sometime tomorrow or Saturday? I just have a Biocube Filter w/ carbon in it currently.

9 hours ago, themummra said:

Would it be ok for me to get 2 hermits and a small coral if my media basket wont be installed until sometime tomorrow or Saturday? I just have a Biocube Filter w/ carbon in it currently.

I would suggest doing a WC to bring nitrate down and then you could do some kind of CUC and Soft Coral. 

graftobny142

We have lift off.

Bought a Scarlet and pair of Blue Leg Hermit crabs along with a Frogspawn frag. The LFS added a handful of shells for the crabs to use and there just happened to be another Scarlet crab! As well as a caribbean cerith snail.

3ve09mL.png

After Bayer Dip and introduction to Tank
Km79dDR.jpg

30m Later

Z6roAhV.jpg

• Like 1
graftobny142

One of the Scarlett hermits I got is not moving much and won't take live food, the other 2 blue leg and 1 Scarlett are active during the day and take food directly  (raw scallop)

graftobny142
1 hour ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

you said you live near Denver?

what fish store are you going to?

I went to Elite Reef to get the cuc as they had a clean, invertebrate only system. The coral frag came from there as well.

The closer store to me is Aqua Imports though.

Hermit crab died but at least he was free. The other one is alive and happily eating.

I lived in Aurora when I started Reefing in 1993. :happy:

I'm sure the store that got me hooked is likely gone now. It was in Denver on Colfax Ave, don't remember the name.