Top Shelf Aquatics

Bionoob 29; Frag Pictures

graftobny142

1 hour ago, themummra said:

Two months since the last update, time flies!

Everything has been going pretty great. I was gone for 5 days and my firefish jumped unfortunately. I think he was tired of the nem moving around so much. I finally had time to change up the rockwork and I think he is settled. I got pretty frustrated one night after he took up residency in the first chamber of the biocube. I was hoping it would split from all this but it is still going strong!

3 hermits are alive, 2 trochus and 3 cerith also alive. The nassarius baby hitchikers I got have survived and there are now 10 healthy ones I feed regularly. I love getting them all on one piece of shrimp or scallop, snail party! 

For the big news, I am going to upgrade to a 40breeder within a month, maybe two but hopefully we before that. I'm going to do a simple aquaclear 110 hob on the back for now, and then work on setting up a sump. 

Oh and I picked up a few frags of zoanthids today from a local reefer. 

A few heads each of some scrambled eggs, sunny d and gobstoppers.

Firefish are notorious jumpers.  I love scrambled eggs, I can't wait to get some!

Not the best pics, I still need to get a filter to cancel out the blue

FTS: Mg98rQir.jpg

New Zoanthids: Scrambled Eggs, Sunny D, Gobstopper.
Refragged the SE and Sunny but I couldn't get the gobstoppers off easily
KvLHIt5r.jpg

Rapidly Growing Reverse Gorilla Nipples. This all came off 1 frag when I started
KeREiVr.jpg

I moved the GSP from the back wall onto a rock, and the BTA is in the background
sdwqdvT.jpg

I still haven't figure out what zoa these are. Red fringe, blue inside and an almost white center.

https://i.imgur.com/C8Rl73L.png

• Like 1

I am grateful to be able to do so much of my work from home. I get to see so many little things in my tank. Today I saw one of the Trochus snails releasing a cloud of sperm into the water.

The Sunny D's and Gobstoppers skirt's are already getting colored in. Its amazing what some good light can do. }}

Still trying to find an ID on those red/blue/white zoas.

• Like 3

A couple weeks away from having the 40b setup. Just started the dry rock cycling in a rubbermaid.

Narrowly avoided the mistake of buying a Cobalt Neotherm earlier today. I found a pretty big thread about how they have been blowing up. Still need to decide on powerheads. I am setting it up with a HOB to start but I will add a sump later on once I figure that design out.

I've been slacking on water tests, haven't done in any ~2 months. However I have been doing regular weekly 20% water changes with homemade RODI. Everything is healthy and looking good! I have also replaced my chemipure, purigen, filter floss when needed.

• 4 weeks later...

That's what I'm thinking. 

I would really like to preserve the fauna in the sandbed. I can get the nassarius snails out but I'd prefer not to just kill everything else in it. 

Would it be a bad idea to mix it in with new sand and put that into the 40?

1 hour ago, themummra said:

I would really like to preserve the fauna in the sandbed. I can get the nassarius snails out but I'd prefer not to just kill everything else in it. 

Depends upon your patience level. Have to be done very slow.. like hand or spoonful of sand at a time.. I had done partial changes (wanted to change just fine sand bed to fine + coarse mixed ),. I still encountered some serious cyano .. which i think was due to the silicate but i think cyano got a chance because the natural fauna was less. I will be experimenting with separately cycling sand (in a different tank ,. say for couple of months .. till algae grows)  and then introduce them 

On 10/22/2017 at 3:34 PM, Ranjib said:

Depends upon your patience level. Have to be done very slow.. like hand or spoonful of sand at a time.. I had done partial changes (wanted to change just fine sand bed to fine + coarse mixed ),. I still encountered some serious cyano .. which i think was due to the silicate but i think cyano got a chance because the natural fauna was less. I will be experimenting with separately cycling sand (in a different tank ,. say for couple of months .. till algae grows)  and then introduce them 

May just have to sacrifice all the little stuff then. The only big things in my sandbed are 3 ceriths and 10 nass snails. They are easy to get out.

All the microfauna will have to be trashed :/

Got a Hannah Phosphorous checker in the mail today and was able to test phosphates for the first time.

.003ppm in the display and .5 in the cycling rubbermaid. Lanthanum Chloride solution seems like it will be effective.

Got a great piece of frogspawn and some other corals today from a fellow CO reefer. Always good meeting new people and trading.

Will update with pictures in the am

Got some really cool frags from local reefers this past week! I can't wait until I have more grown out to give myself. I feel the love Colorado!

Any help identifying the various frags. The zoanthids I already had besides the Utter Chaos which is incredible in person! I know there are 2 yellow scroll pieces, but I don't know the others.

04VW6Ca.jpg

dH1g8Sl.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

that hammer looks fantastic

where at in CO?  i wish i had some local reefer friends

Im in Superior right down the road from Boulder. I was in Boulder all last year.

oh nice, another front ranger.

and i meant frogspawn obviously, not hammer.  i've been doing a little buzzed nano-reefing tonight :lol:

i really like Aquatic Art in Highlands Ranch, great frags for very reasonable prices. i used to go to Elite Reef quite a bit but haven't been to their new location yet.  i just went to The Fish Crew in FoCo and picked up a snowflake clown but other than that i don't have any LFSs that i really like.

i'm REALLY looking forward to Reefstock in February, i'll probably just hold off on filling in my tank until then!

14 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

oh nice, another front ranger.

and i meant frogspawn obviously, not hammer.  i've been doing a little buzzed nano-reefing tonight :lol:

i really like Aquatic Art in Highlands Ranch, great frags for very reasonable prices. i used to go to Elite Reef quite a bit but haven't been to their new location yet.  i just went to The Fish Crew in FoCo and picked up a snowflake clown but other than that i don't have any LFSs that i really like.

i'm REALLY looking forward to Reefstock in February, i'll probably just hold off on filling in my tank until then!

I understand, very 420 friendly here myself :D

Aquatic Art was really nice and their corals are looked even nicer. I did get quite a few pests from the one time I went there, luckily my dip caught them all. Zoas had zoa pox, nudibranch and a bad amphipod thing.

The cube is just about full now ha. I need to get this 40 setup.

Cleaned a lot of the algae off my glass with this last water change, and I noticed several dozen white flatworms on the glass. It appears from online posts that they are harmless. Possibly annoying if they reproduce too much.

Who else has experienced these?
uhnWElf.jpg

And I found this little white worm guy too
H4KjaRL.jpg

ezgif-2-00d4f492d6.gif

i had a little surge of those same white flatworms around the 6 month mark, seeing them only on the glass.  they lasted maybe 3-4 weeks, but slowly went away and i haven't seen one since.  they never seemed to cause any problems and never got out of hand, and i too read they were harmless.

funny, i've just recently seen a couple of those long skinny worms on my glass too.  i'd say it's just some harmless microfauna found in the substrate but i don't know for sure. 

Just now, gone_PHiSHin said:

i had a little surge of those same white flatworms around the 6 month mark, seeing them only on the glass.  they lasted maybe 3-4 weeks, but slowly went away and i haven't seen one since.  they never seemed to cause any problems and never got out of hand, and i too read they were harmless.

funny, i've just recently seen a couple of those long skinny worms on my glass too.  i'd say it's just some harmless microfauna found in the substrate but i don't know for sure. 

I took some of the flatworms and placed them in 10% formalin in hopes of preserving them. I may get a couple that die flat so I can check them out in lab tomorrow. 

I finally built a fixture for my light, success.

22861602_10155626438636183_4347124138986003800_o.jpg

• Like 1

Made some slides of the flatworm and a sponge.

It looks like the flatworm is full of chloroplasts, could it be eating the algae on the glass or something that eats the algae? That could confirm if it was bad or not.

wlxDXXl.jpg
dZvY2a2.jpg

PMawplj.jpg
erq5CGM.jpg
YRAOEtB.jpg

On 10/22/2017 at 3:51 PM, themummra said:

It's theoretically possible if you rinse, rinse, rinse the sand bed very well.  I'd take some, put it in a bucket, and run a bunch of water through till it runs clear. 

On 10/30/2017 at 7:26 PM, themummra said:

Cleaned a lot of the algae off my glass with this last water change, and I noticed several dozen white flatworms on the glass. It appears from online posts that they are harmless. Possibly annoying if they reproduce too much.

Who else has experienced these?
uhnWElf.jpg

And I found this little white worm guy too
H4KjaRL.jpg

ezgif-2-00d4f492d6.gif

Weetie had some tan flatworms in her tank.

Polyps came out on this guy today. I may have to start dosing some calcium with the introduction of these SPS. Next water change I'll test, and test each day after to see how much is consumed in a week. 

Also got a 70g rubbermaid to cycle some rock longterm.

chrome_2017-11-02_18-05-55.png

• 2 weeks later...

November 6th:

5g Water Change Tonight:

Calcium is at 450

Alk at 10 dkh

I will be measure Calcium each day to see how much the new SPS deplete it over a week's time.

ID on these? Maybe a sponge? They don't appear to be new heads but I could be wrong, they are barely attached
amepWp1.jpg

Leather is extending nicely
laAjmzs.png

gVuPDfA.png

November 8th:

On 11/6/2017 at 8:12 PM, themummra said:

5g Water Change Tonight:

Calcium is at 450

Alk at 10 dkh

I will be measure Calcium each day to see how much the new SPS deplete it over a week's time.

Calcium at 430 tonight. So ~10ppm per day.

Scrambled Eggs, Sunny D and Utter Chaos looking good tonight
FEtpAkp.jpg

Here is with an orange filter haha
hLNVQQK.jpg

November 10th:

On 11/8/2017 at 8:19 PM, themummra said:

Calcium at 430 tonight. So ~10ppm per day.

Scrambled Eggs, Sunny D and Utter Chaos looking good tonight

Here is with an orange filter haha

Calcium still at 430-440. Its very surprising that it hasn't decreased more , LPS must not use very much and the small frags of sps are not using much yet either.