inTank Media Baskets

Bionoob 29; Frag Pictures

graftobny142

Exciting new additions!!

Those are all great starter corals & the snails will be a CUC starter. 

However, I need to tell you something. 

It looked to me like those Gorilla Nipples had Zoa Pox on their stalks. 

It's an infectious disease that Zoas 'n Palys get & the treatment for it is a medicated dip in Furan-2.

9 hours ago, themummra said:

Gorilla Nipples

uruGGZ9.jpg

Found two worms after the Bayer Dip. They appear to be young flatworms, if that is the case its best to remove them right? Since writing this one has torn the other up.

EIdhhAo.png

Do you see the white spots on the stalks of the Zoas? That's what I mean. 

And yes, those were flatworms, good call on removing them. 

graftobny142
4 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Exciting new additions!!

Those are all great starter corals & the snails will be a CUC starter. 

However, I need to tell you something. 

It looked to me like those Gorilla Nipples had Zoa Pox on their stalks. 

It's an infectious disease that Zoas 'n Palys get & the treatment for it is a medicated dip in Furan-2.

I thought the white spots could have been pox but looking around online people say they also incorporate sand into their skin. The white spots on mine seem larger and more uneven shaped than the zoa pox pictures I am seeing. 

I'll order some Furan-2 just in case.

I think it's Zoa Pox. 

It's Palys that incorporate sand into their skin & it has a different appearance, smaller & more fine grained. 

Plus, those are Zoas not Palys. 

Feel free to post pics and get other opinions in a thread on the Disease Forum if you like, I won't mind. 

graftobny142
38 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

I think it's Zoa Pox. 

It's Palys that incorporate sand into their skin & it has a different appearance, smaller & more fine grained. 

Plus, those are Zoas not Palys. 

Feel free to post pics and get other opinions in a thread on the Disease Forum if you like, I won't mind. 

That works for me! I have some Furan on the way. 

I found this link http://zoaid.org/zoapox-zoa-pox-the-search-for-the-cause-and-cure/

Should I do the tank treatment or targeted treatment in a cup on that specific zoa. The other zoa frag had no dots.,

• Like 1

Definitely do targeted treatment in a cup. 

That zoaid article is exactly what I've gone by when I've done the treatment, good job finding that. 

Be careful with your Zoa+Xenia frag. Xenia can encrust over just about anything. I've heard people say it's grown over other corals. 

graftobny142
28 minutes ago, The Dish said:

Be careful with your Zoa+Xenia frag. Xenia can encrust over just about anything. I've heard people say it's grown over other corals. 

Thanks for the heads up! I ordered some frag plugs to redo the corals and will split the Xenia then.

2 minutes ago, themummra said:

Thanks for the heads up! I ordered some frag plugs to redo the corals and will split the Xenia then.

Treat it like you GSP unless you want it everywhere. It's got that really cool snapping motion but it's better off isolated. tank is looking good so far - I'm following. Keep it up! 

graftobny142

:D it's amazing finally seeing these things in person. And the activity is so different day vs night!

I got a 10g from the petco sale as well as an Aqueon quietflow filter. Recommendation for a fairly priced heater for 10 gallons? I've been keeping my eye on Craigslist. And already planning to upgrade to a 40g breeder!

• Like 1
7 hours ago, themummra said:

:D it's amazing finally seeing these things in person. And the activity is so different day vs night!

I got a 10g from the petco sale as well as an Aqueon quietflow filter. Recommendation for a fairly priced heater for 10 gallons? I've been keeping my eye on Craigslist. And already planning to upgrade to a 40g breeder!

Eheim Jager 50w hands down for me. I have one in a 10 in my office. Best heater I've ever used

graftobny142

I noticed some green hair algae in the last few days. Currently I'm just running filter floss in chamber 2.  I have a better media basket being made to replace the one I shabbily put together. 

graftobny142

Got some new test kits, a gravel siphon, the Furan-2 and a 165w LED. This thing is twice as big as I thought it would be!

Calcium is at 420 and Alkalinity is 120-130 ppm

On 4/10/2017 at 7:34 PM, themummra said:

I noticed some green hair algae in the last few days. Currently I'm just running filter floss in chamber 2.  I have a better media basket being made to replace the one I shabbily put together. 

Remove it manually, and on rocks or frags you can pull them out and put peroxide on for a minute or so to kill the GHA, then return to the tank. 

graftobny142

I will try to do that! I put a snail on top of a GHA spot and he ate a bit.

This LED light is powerful! I turned the blue on and pointed it at my corals for 30seconds or so and it made a handful of polyps on the xenia and gsp poop. 

2 of the Xenia seem wrapped in their own waste, its like a green string around their "limbs" almost. Currently its preventing them from opening. Anyway to remove it or just wait?

graftobny142

1st Furan-2 Dip done this morning. Xenia appears unharmed as well.

After the dip I noticed some pox that had already fallen off while soaking, and the others on the coral appear to be coming out as well.

IMG_3442.JPG

IMG_3444.JPG

• Like 2
graftobny142

Third furvan treatment today. I'm going to get some mosaic tile and replug everything tomorrow. And try my hand at cutting apart the large zoa frag. 

7 hours ago, themummra said:

Third furvan treatment today. I'm going to get some mosaic tile and replug everything tomorrow. And try my hand at cutting apart the large zoa frag. 

Good luck!!

What tools are you using for this?

I like to use an exacto knife for delicate cutting work and a dremel with a diamond wheel for basic cuts.