Innovative Marine Aquariums

Bionoob 29; Frag Pictures

graftobny142

gone_PHiSHin

yeah I like the guys at Elite Reef but their stuff can be a little pricey.  they have a good invert selection though for sure

I used to go there a lot when I first set up my tank but stopped going as much because they don't get a ton of new stuff in regularly.  occasionally they have some nice frags in the $40 section and I'm pretty sure they'll always do 3 for $100.  the 'coral cash' helps too. 

i got got my live rock from them, most of my CUC, and my tailspot blenny (he was tiny when I got him!)

I would highly recommend the nano blend reef food they have in the freezer.  they make it themselves, it's a blender mix of pretty much everything and my fish and corals seem to love it.  they freeze it flat so it's easy to break off a small piece. it's cheap and will last you a long time.

once you really get things going though, you MUST go to Aquatic Art in Highlands Ranch.  by far the best bang for your buck!   I love that place for frags, I was just there yesterday.  also the scarlet hermits are $2.50 and they always have some sexy designer clowns and other nano fish.

graftobny142
Made a ghetto-media basket out of terribly cut acrylic and weld-on 16. It will last until I can use a laser cutter next week. 

I also installed a cobalt mj 1200 and I have to say, it's  much quieter than the stock pump. Water is a little cloudy but the frogspawn is fully extended even after lights out. So I think everything's going well.

• Like 1
graftobny142

Extended and happy. I think it's getting some more color to it as well.  The coral has 2 heads and a 3rd baby head at the base. 

How does this look for flow? 

The flow looks mostly good but slightly low. 

However, the corals tell you if they're happy, and what you described sounded like a happy coral. 

graftobny142

Saw the frogspawn pooping! I thought it was sweeper tentacle at first. It was a long green string coming out of the mouth. 

Will the crabs eat it?

graftobny142

Frog pooped, retracted quite a bit, and then came back out an hour later. 

All 3 crabs ate a piece of scallop, ammonia was slightly elevated between 0-.25 after feeding which seems expected?

graftobny142

Figured out why the ammonia was elevated.

The cerith snail that was a surprise in my cuc pack died a few days ago, and I removed its body as soon as I saw it floating. But I had left the shell in the tank thinking it was empty. Nope! Saw the hermit poking at it so I took it out to smell and it reeked.

graftobny142

Also, it seems my coral frag came with a bit of algae. Frag was mostly white when I put it in but now has a small covering

wCGwGl6.png

And it looks like it has grown a little on this rock. I Bayer dipped but didn't do anything for algae :/ Something to worry about?

nuqjuy8.png

graftobny142

Just two small green/brown spots, similar to the color on the frag plug. Looks like the crab has some on his shell too.

Time to get a few snails!

graftobny142

While I was at the LFS getting some water I couldn't pass this guy up

He spent the first 24 hours under the a rock but doesn't even hide when we walk by now. I fed two pinches of Marine Flakes to the tank and he ate a good amount. I can't believe its finally happening! 

Ez703Wn.jpg

• Like 2
graftobny142

Firefish and Hermit crabs take scallop pieces directly, it's awesome! 

Thanks are going great so far. Small diatom spots present, may get a snail or two.

• Like 1
graftobny142

Unfortunately the other scarlet hermit died overnight. He hadn't been as active the last few days but was eating. The blue legs are still moving and picking the little algae there is off things. Could I just not have enough algae to support the bigger crabs? I didn't drip acclimate any of the invertebrates but could that cause a problem weeks later?

Just now, themummra said:

Unfortunately the other scarlet hermit died overnight. He hadn't been as active the last few days but was eating. The blue legs are still moving and picking the little algae there is off things. Could I just not have enough algae to support the bigger crabs? I didn't drip acclimate any of the invertebrates but could that cause a problem weeks later?

Doubt it would cause a problem weeks later. 

Have you been dropping a little food in there now & then for them?

I would. 

graftobny142

I should have taken a picture of the molt. It was the front half of its body, shell was red which made me think it was the actual crab.

In other news, my coralline starter arrived from Weetabix7! Poured it in and added the GSP frag in as well after a quick Bayer dip.

jdvtjjD.png
How long do they take to open?

• Like 1

Yeah, molts can really look like the real thing, I think we've all been fooled by them at one time or another. 

As for the GSP, you may see a few polyps start to open tonight or tomorrow. 

graftobny142

Crab is still in his shell but he hasn't moved. I think I ####ed his chances when I ran freshwater in the shell to clean it out (thinking he was dead); with how sensitive inverts are to water parameters are. 

Time to get some snails with this diatom presence. KCnoMG1.png

And look what came out a lot quicker than I thought it would.

cZQgLDI.png

graftobny142
24 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

See, I told ya!!

It'll probably open up all the way sometime overnight. :)

Maybe not :o

H13AfO4.png

Moved it to my back wall. The power head is blowing across from the left side, may have to adjust that if it is too strong.

4 minutes ago, themummra said:

I have to learn somehow! And from what I read GSP is really hardy. Bonus is that it's soft so I cut it with a razor. 

It's a great one to learn on and yes, quite hardy. 

graftobny142

Went down to Aquatic Arts to get some inverts and walked away with some coral as well. Great store and great staff!

First up, 2 Astrea and 3 Cerith to clean the algae I finally have on my sand and glass.
JtvwLeE.png

Candy Cane

S13pLnu.jpg

Ricordia
Yv5RSo4.png

Zoas+Xenia

TNqZThK.jpg

Gorilla Nipples

uruGGZ9.jpg

Found two worms after the Bayer Dip. They appear to be young flatworms, if that is the case its best to remove them right? Since writing this one has torn the other up.

EIdhhAo.png