Coral Vue Hydros

Aiptasia (or SPS) on frag plug?

dandelion

It looks so small I couldn't tell what it is with my naked eye.... Now that I have it blown up on the computer it looks like aiptasia?...

D2D0F070-D00F-4847-B999-F9CC4AF37631_zps

ReefNewby82

Yeah that is kind of what it looks like to me also.  Hard to tell as it doesn't appear to be extending.  I would zap it before it decides it needs to reproduce :v)

Thank. It is so tiny I couldn't ID with my naked eye. Took a picture at 2x magnification and blown up on the computer screen and I realized it doesn't look like anything fun.

10 minutes ago, ReefNewby82 said:

Yeah that is kind of what it looks like to me also.  Hard to tell as it doesn't appear to be extending.  I would zap it before it decides it needs to reproduce :v)

Took out the frag and took a razor blade to it: it felt like it has some sort of skeleton almost like an SPS.... also the way they "cluster" doesn't look much like a pest anemone to me. I put it back in the tank for now.... Bad decision?

image.jpg

Pinner Reef

It's a Ball Anemone... Often refereed to as Strawberry Anemones. They are not generally harmful. Perhaps a light sting of surrounding coral; but they don't propagate as quickly as Mojanos or Aptasias.

It looks like some sort of encrusting coral to me by the look of mat and polyps. Hard to say at that size though

It also does look a bit like a ball anemone... I'd keep it and find out as it doesn't look like an aiptasia or majano to me

Thanks I was going to say it looks kind of like a strawberry when the polyps are retracted. I thought that might be a pocilopora that spread.

Its up to you.  If it was me, I'd probably scrape it off unless I had a junk tank around to throw it into and see what happens.

1 hour ago, lkoechle said:

Its up to you.  If it was me, I'd probably scrape it off unless I had a junk tank around to throw it into and see what happens.

It really looks (and feels) like some sort of SPS to be even thought the tentacles don't look like a pocillopora. Maybe I'll snap off the bit of the frag plug and see what it comes out to be.

your last picture does make it look like some kind of coral.  if its hard like you say then it nost likely isnt an anemone. it will be interesting to see what it is 

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that it looks more like coral than anemone.

Do you have any galaxea in this tank? Or if you got the frag from someone else, maybe ask them what it may be. Some corals have a habit of broadcast spawning like this in home aquariums.

Archived