inTank Media Baskets

Something harassing my zoanthids frag... help me ID it please?

Slayer33

So I noticed that one side of my zoanthids started to not open a couple days ago.. upon further inspection I see that there is some kind of plant like thing growing around/behind it which I think is the cause... can u guys help me identify it and how or what I can do to get rid of it? 

20170301_193754.jpg

20170301_194557.jpg

If it's hydroids I read that aiptasia-x would kill them off.. it's on a small frag so maybe it's worth a try?

Thanks for the ID!

Well I tried aiptasia-x.. the stems were rigid so I don't know if it worked.. I plucked them out with my tweezers.. are hydroids supposed to have hard plastic like stems? If they come back I might try to either re-frag the zoas or just toss the frag if it prevents an outbreak of hydroids.. 

I wonder if they weren't hydroids?

7 minutes ago, Slayer33 said:

Well I tried aiptasia-x.. the stems were rigid so I don't know if it worked.. I plucked them out with my tweezers.. are hydroids supposed to have hard plastic like stems? If they come back I might try to either re-frag the zoas or just toss the frag if it prevents an outbreak of hydroids.. 

I wonder if they weren't hydroids?

I've read that some of them can have harder stems. Hopefully that makes them easier to pull. lol

good luck. Maybe someone else with hydroid experience will chime in. 

hedgeclipper2

I had some when I first starting cycling my tank, but it was only 3 and only on a piece of live rock and I just put a huge glob on super glue on them and en-cased them (laughs maniacally).  Never saw them again.  Not sure you could do that with the Zoas on there though.

Archived