Top Shelf Aquatics

hedgeclipper2's Micro-Reefs 4.3 Reef Build - with Sexies and Pom Poms oh my!

hedgeclipper2

hedgeclipper2

Okay, so I have been convinced to finally stop hijacking others threads and create my own for my Pico tank set up that sits right beside my 20 gal drop off tank.  This tank was started as a way to introduce Sexy Shrimp and Pom Pom Crabs into my repertoire without them getting "lost" in my 20 gal drop off tank.

Equipment:

Micro-Reefs 4.3 gal "naked" set-up

Nanobox Mini Tide light with Storm Controller

Hydor Pico 200 return pump

Aqueoun 50 watt cheap-o heater (I don't think it ever really runs anyways, pump keeps tank warm enough)

Livestock:

Shallow sand bed

3-4 lbs of live rock so far

Green Star Polyps

Kenya Tree Coral

Green Mushroom

Devil's Hand Leather Coral

Green Glove Polyps

3 Sexy Shrimp and 1 Pom Pom Crab are currently en-route from LiveAquaria and should be here tomorrow afternoon.

Now for the photos!

IMG_1151.jpg

IMG_1152.jpg

And here are some pics of it next to my drop-off tank for perspective on the size.

IMG_1153.jpg

And lastly, my drop off tank's FTS

IMG_1154.jpg

I love it!!!

I actually really like the way you have them right next to each other, that pic with both tanks gives a neat perspective. 

hedgeclipper2
1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

I love it!!!

I actually really like the way you have them right next to each other, that pic with both tanks gives a neat perspective. 

Thanks!

Having them next to each other makes maintenance easy too. :)  I like anything that makes the hobby easier.

2 minutes ago, hedgeclipper2 said:

Thanks!

Having them next to each other makes maintenance easy too. :)  I like anything that makes the hobby easier.

I couldn't agree more!!

hedgeclipper2

I think so too.  I often find myself just sitting in front of them staring, as if I am trying to will everything to grow faster ha

hedgeclipper2

Order from LA is here!  That was super fast, packed well and everything is alive so far.  The sexies have lost a lot of color, but I am hoping they will color back up.  Everything is currently temp acclimating in my 20 gal, and it is JUST about to overflow ha.

IMG_1155.jpg

YES...a tank thread!!! Oh my gosh, I was here to see the Micro-Reef, but that rock scape on that dropoff is just :wub:.

I'm excited for arrival and acclimation day! Those sexies look pretty awesome. And this "Nanobox with storm controller" sounds intriguing. I may have to look that up because it is new to me!

I must ask: what does "naked" setup mean?

hedgeclipper2
7 minutes ago, Rain24 said:

I must ask: what does "naked" setup mean?

It is just the version they sell that is the tank, media basket and top only.  You have you buy your own return pump, fittings and light.

I already had the light and the pump and fittings, so I just needed the tank only.

1 minute ago, hedgeclipper2 said:

It is just the version they sell that is the tank, media basket and top only.  You have you buy your own return pump, fittings and light.

I already had the light and the pump and fittings, so I just needed the tank only.

Got it! Thank you!

hedgeclipper2
1 minute ago, Weetabix7 said:

Omg, you got great stuff, the Sexies and PomPom Crab look good!!!!

I know!

I am so happy the Pom Pom has both of his/her anemones!

hedgeclipper2

Sexies are in, already shaking their booties!

Got two at the top, and the other is hiding in the leather coral at the bottom:

IMG_1162.jpg

Christopher Marks

This is a great little setup, I love seeing the Micro-Reefs tank with a Nanobox Mini Tide! Some great additions today, what else did you get from LA?

hedgeclipper2

Total for the order was:

3 Sexy Shrimp, Tiny

1 Pom Pom Crab, Tiny

1 Green Clown Goby, Medium

1 Colony Polyp, Yellow, Medium

1 Colony Polyp, Pink Rays, Medium

1 Feather Duster, Medium

hedgeclipper2
11 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

:wub: Look at those beautiful fluffy poms!

He/she is actually very active, even with the lights on!  I was afraid I would never see the little thing, but its been running around the tank like crazy waving its poms at anything that moves (including corals) ha.

hedgeclipper2

Here is some of the new stuff I got the 20 gal drop off tank today as well:

Colony Polyps, Yellow

IMG_1199.jpg

Feather Duster, Medium

IMG_1196.jpg

Colony Polyps, Pink Rays (I am thinking I got a combo rock by mistake maybe?)

IMG_1194.jpg

PS: my cleaner shrimp (Pierre) LOVES to be photographed for some reason. :D 

On 3/2/2017 at 6:07 PM, hedgeclipper2 said:

He/she is actually very active, even with the lights on!  I was afraid I would never see the little thing, but its been running around the tank like crazy waving its poms at anything that moves (including corals) ha.

That's awesome!  Maybe you've got a bold and sassy one too! :lol:

hedgeclipper2
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

That's awesome!  Maybe you've got a bold and sassy one too! :lol:

Ha, I hope so!  I dropped some sinking pellets in today and the little pom pom went bonkers.  He/she was knocking the poor shrimp down to get to the them.  I wish I had gotten a video.

24 minutes ago, hedgeclipper2 said:

Ha, I hope so!  I dropped some sinking pellets in today and the little pom pom went bonkers.  He/she was knocking the poor shrimp down to get to the them.  I wish I had gotten a video.

Haha that's hilarious!  I have to try that lol.  Next time have the camera ready? :lol:

Archived