Pod Your Reef

RCReef's Reincarnation

RCReef

My 28G JBJ retrofitted with LED's never really came back after getting cooked a few years ago. I decided to tear it down and start over. It's just about done cycling. I'll be moving the chaeto to the refugium section in the back now that the replacement light for it came in. Then, work on the scape a little more and start building it up again.

JBJ28GLEDReef1.JPG

46 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Welcome back @RCReef! That looks like some great coralline covered live rock. What are your plans for the tank this time?

Thanks for the welcome. It's good to be back.

That is actually Real Reef Rock, so it isn't real coralline. I'm trying to find someone that can get me a small rock with really nice coralline to rub all over it to get it started with the real stuff. I didn't scrape the coralline off the back as you can see, but I don't think it is going to come back. This tank will get a nice set of clowns, and one or two other fish. It will have a little bit of nice display macros, a few small LPS, a large LPS centerpiece, and various zoas and mushrooms.

I moved the chaeto into the refugium chamber, and added some Codium, Gracilaria Hayi, Dragon's Breath, and Hypnea Pannosa to the display. I think it should do well at keeping the nitrate and phosphate down.

JBJ28GLED2.JPG

HaHa...Oops.

The Dragon's Breath had come loose and swept behind the rocks since I haven't actually anchored anything in place yet.

JBJ28GLED3.JPG

Moved the Dragon's breath a little. Hopefully it will stay there until tomorrow when the Ricordeas go in and I break out the super glue.

JBJ28GLED4.JPG

• Like 1
On 3/1/2017 at 2:04 PM, RCReef said:

Thanks for the welcome. It's good to be back.

That is actually Real Reef Rock, so it isn't real coralline. I'm trying to find someone that can get me a small rock with really nice coralline to rub all over it to get it started with the real stuff. I didn't scrape the coralline off the back as you can see, but I don't think it is going to come back. This tank will get a nice set of clowns, and one or two other fish. It will have a little bit of nice display macros, a few small LPS, a large LPS centerpiece, and various zoas and mushrooms.

I might be able to help, lol. 

I have several months worth of buildup of coralline to scrape off my tank glass, and was considering offering Coralline Algae Starter Cultures in the Classified. 

I LOVE all the Macroalgaes you have in here!!!! :wub:

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

I might be able to help, lol. 

I have several months worth of buildup of coralline to scrape off my tank glass, and was considering offering Coralline Algae Starter Cultures in the Classified. 

I LOVE all the Macroalgaes you have in here!!!! :wub:

Thought the macros might get your attention. ;)

Gulf Coast Ecosystems really came through for me.

I would definitely be interested in a coralline starter if you decide to do it.

Can't wait to get the Rics in there, but it looks like they didn't ship today, so it will probably be the beginning of next week before they go in with the beautiful macros.:D

• Like 1

Ok, I'll do it then. :happy:

I have a pretty good idea on how to package and ship it already, but I need to do a quick check on shipping costs. 

If you don't see me post it for sale between now and Saturday, just message me. 

• Like 1

Added some Ricordea Floridas today. Looking forward to them opening up and getting bigger. The tank has a long way to go, but it's coming along nicely.

JBJ28GLED6.JPG

• Like 1

I've got the 24 LEDs in 4 LED channels setup now. Channel 1 is 4 cool whites, channel 2 is 4 LEDs with 2 neutral whites and 2 warm whites, channel 3 is 8 royal blues, and channel 4 is 8 LEDs with 2 400-410, 2 410-420, 2 420-430, and 2 440-445. Channels 1-3 are 1500ma and channel 4 is 700ma. I have a BlueFish controlling the LDD-H-4S board with the 4 drivers on it and an SE-350-48 power supply powering the LEDs.

I tried to go with some cyan and red in the past, but couldn't ever get it to look like I wanted. We'll see if I can get it to look the way I want with these. I should definitely have the blue and violet taken care of.

The new LEDs are mounted and the drivers have been replaced. I really like this setup. The LEDs are definitely brighter than the old ones, and I have better color. I also like that the drivers work all the way down to 1% instead of turning off the LEDs at 13% like the old ones did. I'm still working on getting them balanced perfectly, and on figuring out how to get some decent pictures. Both my iPhone and my camera freak out unless I cut the blue way down and crank the white up.

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

Does your camera allow you to set a custom white balance? That's about the only way to get around it, unless you shoot RAW files with your camera and correct the white balance in post processing with a photo editor.

• Like 1

Added some zoas and some big green frilly mushrooms. They were just dipped and added to the tank last night, so they're still a bit angry and haven't opened up all the way yet.

IMG_0857.JPG

• Like 2
Christopher Marks

Nice new shrooms, great color. The zoanthids look like they're a bold coloration too, orange, purple and green? Those will be a nice splash of color once they're all opened up.

• Like 1

Thanks. The colors actually pop and fluoresce more in real life. Still struggling with taking pictures of an LED lit tank. I have a few more zoa frags and another nice ric coming on Tuesday. After that, it will be a bit of a waiting game while everything grows and fills in.