zhark

Clam with 2 mouths

zhark

Hi, I am thinking of purchasing a clam from a reputable online seller in my region. I see a fairly nice crocea clam and at a decent size 3.5 inches, however in the photo it seems to have 2 mouths, and I have asked the dealer and she confirmed it has 2 'mouths'. Is the second hole actually a mouth or just a hole caused by a tear or something?

A38 蚌約3寸特價 $130

brandon429

not sure but I believe we could locate it by looking up incurrent vs excurrent siphon structure in bivalves

Mariaface

The real 'mouth' has filtering hairs on the sides; that's the lower one. It really looks like a tear.

• Like 5

TJ_Burton

Seeing as it lacks the 'frilly bits' around the inhalant siphon, I'd be willing to bet it isn't a part of that structure.

• Like 1

holy carp

That's a bit of an insult, IMO, that a dealer would call it a second 'mouth'.  That doesn't necessarily mean the clam cannot survive or heal, but I'm confident it didn't mutate and grow a second siphon.  I don't know if it's injury, disease, or malformation, but calling it a mouth is just lying to a potential customer. 

4287_17_117-crocea-clam-anatomy.jpg

• Like 3