Innovative Marine Aquariums

another mysterious character appears...

jesseatam

my tank is cycling rn and i turned the room lights on to check up on things and saw this little guy in the sand bed. The clear part from the body seems to be able to retract and it did so when exposed to light and when i took the flash photo, i assume its some kind of worm but i've never seen anything like it as i don't have enough experience in saltwater. the closest thing i've seen in my research is maybe a peanut worm. also sorry if the quality is poor i just whipped my phone out real quick.

IMG_2726.JPG

IMG_2727.JPG

IMG_2728.JPG

IMG_2729.JPG

RayWhisperer

Yeah, pic is way too blurry to help you out. Just by what I can make out. I'd say your guess of a peanut worm is pretty likely.  They are common hitchhikers, and a good one, at that.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back with updates!!!

So as the cycle continues I've found new life. First thing is a little crab that ended up being dead sadly but I'm still curious if you guys have any ideas as to what it was. Secondly I found a super small aiptasia in the sand bed and what appears to be a quite large on in the rock and it reacts when touched but I'm not sure since its tentacles appear to be frilly vs the more smooth ones that I've more commonly seen, I took a video of it.

Finally, i also have a mystery inhabitant that I'm not sure even exists. Something appears to made made a burrow under one of my rocks, there appears to be multiple entrances and one has all the big pebbles neatly placed on one side. I'm guessing it's a pistol shrimp if there actually is something there since I found a dead one when I got my rock in. I have not heard any of the telltale snapping or popping but I also haven't really sat down and listened for it for a good amount of time. I was also thinking about maybe placing a shell or something in the entrance of the hole to see if the possible resident moves it.

side note: for these pics I tried to use my nikon d3200 for better quality but it had issues focusing and the phone pictures came out way better imo.

IMG_2761.JPG

IMG_2770.JPG

Now after looking back in the tank after typing all that the large "aiptasia" appears to have moved and I have no clue where it went. 

And the picture below is of the rock with the "burrows".

IMG_2771.JPG

Update: 99% sure the creator of the tunnels is a pistol shrimp, I was able to catch a glimpse of him by shining a flashlight into one of the tunnel entrances on the left side of the rock. Not sure what species it is however, I'm doubtful that it's one of the species that will pair with a shrimp goby however since I got the rock from Atlantic Reef Conservation which is based in Florida and from what I've read its mostly Pacific pistol species that pair with gobies, any confirmation on this would be great. An interesting thing I saw though is one if the brittle stars running away from the burrow and it seemed to be scared of either the shrimp or some other tentacle that looked like it belonged to another brittle star that seemed to follow it but I'm not sure as it was never fully exposed. Also about the anemone, after checking the hitchhiker area of ARC's website it appears the anemone may be a Bartholomea annulata or corkscrew anemone and I have also found another smaller one since, does anyone have experience with this kind of anemone?

RayWhisperer

AFAIK there are no goby pairing pistols from that area. It's most likely just a plain pistol, or possibly one of the colonial types. I don't know much about those, though.

So I just added an emerald crab today and while scanning the tank I spotted what looks to be a nudibranch on the glass. I was able to get pictures with both my phone and an actual camera so hopefully the quality is decent enough, you never realize how shaky you really are until you try to photograph something this small :lol:

nudibranch 1.jpg

nudibranch 2.jpg

hmm well it's not letting me upload the camera pics because they are too large, any ideas?

It's hard to say, but it could be an SPS eating nudibranch. It's equally possible it's just a benign juvenile nudibranch. Again, it's tough to tell from the photo. I hope some others chime in with a better ID. 

Archived