inTank Media Baskets

Opinions On My Scape For Abyss Drop Off

Bella's Reef

After a great run with a 60P with a sump and downsize to a Fusion 10 my wife and I sold off our old house and bought a new home and in doing so I sold off everything, going on almost two years later and a brief stint with a 180 Gallon freshwater Frontosa setup I am coming back to the salty side.

This is a quick scape I came up with from rock I hand picked from a local reefer that had bought too much rock, sorry for the quality of photo's as I was rushed before I left for work.

Front On - A few steps back

33013627672_b5765d465c_z.jpgUntitled by sean kirt, on Flickr

Front On - Closer Up

32324969914_6ab7be54e8_z.jpgUntitled by sean kirt, on Flickr

Top Left Side 

32354829023_49f2bc2536_z.jpgUntitled by sean kirt, on Flickr

33128495036_99124d8268_z.jpgUntitled by sean kirt, on Flickr

Bottom Side - 

33042497781_d8f23d0c2c_z.jpgUntitled by sean kirt, on Flickr

Overhead View - 

32787676000_aabc54e614_z.jpgUntitled by sean kirt, on Flickr

Top Down - 

33042499211_21fb57e3ed_z.jpgUntitled by sean kirt, on Flickr

Random Angle - 

33042499141_83bc206f59_z.jpgUntitled by sean kirt, on Flickr

Looks great!  There's only so much you can do with these drop-offs.  My rock is very similarly set up only I didn't connect the bottom with the top.  I have 3 rocks total in my tank.

Really like what you can do with those drop offs. How would it look with one of the smaller pieces (top or bottom) moved out a little bit to form an island? Are you keeping it bare bottom? It looks really sleek with those drop offs

Bella's Reef

Barebottom is the plan, trying to decided on the stock return and a additional return per nozzle or just a Sicce 1.5, I will also be running a MP10 on a lower setting.

I keep thinking of moving one out a little but space is tight, I was also kicking around the idea of loosing one of the small rocks up top and down below.

I think bridging rock over the drop tends to be the most popular route, although I am waiting for someone to just do an overhang that overlaps the rock below it without the bridge. ;)

SaltyBuddha

You could always move those little ones around later. Anyways it looks good so far and I'm looking forward to seeing it progress!

I like it. I would add a smaller rock on top of the rock in the upper portion to give  bit of height and asymetrical look

Bella's Reef

Well I have my fingers crossed the stand will be finished today and I can get this thing wet and the cycle going this weekend.

hedgeclipper2
On 3/1/2017 at 9:28 AM, Bella's Reef said:

Barebottom is the plan, trying to decided on the stock return and a additional return per nozzle or just a Sicce 1.5, I will also be running a MP10 on a lower setting.

I keep thinking of moving one out a little but space is tight, I was also kicking around the idea of loosing one of the small rocks up top and down below.

I switched my stock pump out for the Sicce 1.5 and I highly recommend it.  Its a tight squeeze to get it down in there, but its whisper silent compared to the stock pump.

• 2 weeks later...
Bella's Reef

Well as of last night she is up and running, going to get the light and MP10 situated later today.

I picked up a Sicce 1.5 from a NR member and local Reefer and it is dead silent.

IMG_0350.JPG

Bella's Reef

Thanks!

It is an IKEA Besta stand and I had a guy I know build the riser for it. It's a 25 1/4" tall stand by itself and we added approximately 10" in height to it.  

Bella's Reef

I hope to get a build thread started soon, work has been kicking my butt, speaking of which back to it.

IMG_0356.JPG

Archived