Coral Vue Hydros

Purple Slime on my SPS? Is it Cyano Bacteria???

Slayer33

So first it was hitch hiker nudibranchs eating my newly aquired Montipora Digitata... then shortly after I noticed air bubbles collecting at the base of the frag where it was eaten at.. now those air bubbles are covered in pinkish purple slime.. is this Cyano Bacteria???

If it is, should I just toss the frag out since it's only on the frag? Or should I try to salvage it? I have lots of purple hairy stuff growing on my live rock.. I picked up a few more snails today to try to keep the algae in check

20170227_181334.jpg

Yes its cyano. Cyan isn't an Algae its actually a bacteria and its caused primarily by excess nutrients in your tank. I would test all the parameters and see where you are at. From there, i would blow off all live rock and in all the nooks and crannies to get the gunk into the water column for siphoning. As far snails go, I think the Pacific Cernith is the only ones that will consume it. There are also some tank treatments that will help with it. As far as the frag, I would manually clean the slime off of it and hope for the best. 

1 hour ago, Slayer33 said:

So first it was hitch hiker nudibranchs eating my newly aquired Montipora Digitata... then shortly after I noticed air bubbles collecting at the base of the frag where it was eaten at.. now those air bubbles are covered in pinkish purple slime.. is this Cyano Bacteria???

If it is, should I just toss the frag out since it's only on the frag? Or should I try to salvage it? I have lots of purple hairy stuff growing on my live rock.. I picked up a few more snails today to try to keep the algae in check

20170227_181334.jpg

Likely fueled by the dead tissue. 

You can blast it off, but it will most likely return.  

Cyano for sure.

If there is dead tissue the best thing is to frag the coral. Cut above the dead tissue and reglue elsewhere or on a plug.

Blow off the cyano and syphon it out

Archived