ReefCleaners.org

Money's Evo 5 *Lets Try this Reef thing*

money88

Hey sorry for the long time with no updates! I will have to take some pictures and give an update tomorrow! Tank is doing well still I have been super busy so it has been slightly neglected :( which in turn caused the zoa to die because it fell off the rock and landed upside down on the sand bed. 

Look for more info tomorrow!

11 hours ago, money88 said:

Hey sorry for the long time with no updates! I will have to take some pictures and give an update tomorrow! Tank is doing well still I have been super busy so it has been slightly neglected :( which in turn caused the zoa to die because it fell off the rock and landed upside down on the sand bed. 

Look for more info tomorrow!

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's....money88! :lol: Welcome back, stranger!  Look forward to your updates. :)

• 2 months later...

What a nightmare! I recently moved hence the hiatus. Well, I lost some zoas, and my pistol shrimp in the move process (soap somehow managed to spill into the tank off of a rag :o). Still have 2 my rics and duncan and 2 snails left though and have been actively working on setting up the 40 gallon breeder.

Good news is I am now a lot closer to coral and fish (10 minutes vs 2.5/3 hours). Time allotting I plan to stop at the store this weekend and see if they have any new stock that I'd like to put in the tank. 

I have redone the rock work using new rock and taking the old rock out to kill of as well as removing all the sand to get rid of the aiptasia and other undesirables that hitchhiked onto the system. I have now bought dip and plan to use that moving forward. 

2 minutes ago, money88 said:

What a nightmare! I recently moved hence the hiatus. Well, I lost some zoas, and my pistol shrimp in the move process (soap somehow managed to spill into the tank off of a rag :o). Still have 2 my rics and duncan and 2 snails left though and have been actively working on setting up the 40 gallon breeder.

Good news is I am now a lot closer to coral and fish (10 minutes vs 2.5/3 hours). Time allotting I plan to stop at the store this weekend and see if they have any new stock that I'd like to put in the tank. 

I have redone the rock work using new rock and taking the old rock out to kill of as well as removing all the sand to get rid of the aiptasia and other undesirables that hitchhiked onto the system. I have now bought dip and plan to use that moving forward. 

:o

:blink:

:flower:

Sorry bout the losses.  Hope you'll share pics soon!

• Thanks 1

Hey hey, so yea between setting up the freshwater planted tanks, this one, trying to actually plumb my breeder, a new job, and new house I have been super busy so I am sorry for the forum neglect. (Well and tank neglect :unsure:)

But I was able to get a few pictures I have more just didn't upload them yet so hopefully soon. I am going to try and stay on top of this tank a bit more now that I have moved I'd like to shift it into a more visible location from where I usually am after work. Right now it's within sight but still not as close as I'd like. The 55 gallon Freshwater planted is right behind me so all I have to do is turn around.

Well, let me just say I have learned a valuable lesson with this tank before rebuilding it. I didn't dip my live rock or coral and ended up with a hell of a lot of unwanted hitchhikers like aiptasia, vermetid snails, some bad pods (I think), and some other things I couldn't identify. I think it was from my rock the coral vendor I use is solid and everyone I know who goes there never has problems. 

On a positive note the new light has been doing really well. The rics have grown a lot at the pretty low intensity I've had it at. And well the duncan I saw no growth prior to adding the light whereas after I added the light there are now 4 more heads! I'd still really like an awesome zoa colony though because I think those just look really cool if you get a nice looking one. Unfortunately, I wont be able to do what my original idea was with the last scape (cover an entire one of the 3 rocks with a colony) but instead I will have to be a little more creative on this layout. Or shift the rocks left / right and put a small rock in. The nice thing is I have my breeder almost done so that should start the cycle really soon and I will be able to do some swapping etc.

So before anyone says anything I forgot to top the tank off here but I did right after this picture so no worries! So I moved away from the 3 rocks and onto more of a single structure here is what I came up with: 

qknywRkh.jpg

I haven't seen much if any growth here which is odd. Just kind of sustaining (which I am okay with)

CJw0482.jpg

Sorry for the reflection on this one. And it closed up right as I turned the flow down to take a picture :blush:

EOzZ0SX.jpg

swPpvQhh.jpg

Well try and bug me, I really like to update people and love hearing from everyone on here. Still lurking around looking at others tanks I have so much catching up to do!

Fingers crossed I am able to pick up 1 or 2 corals this weekend and maybe a few snails / shrimp. But tomorrow is already packed so it'd have to be Sunday. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, money88 said:

Hey hey, so yea between setting up the freshwater planted tanks, this one, trying to actually plumb my breeder, a new job, and new house I have been super busy so I am sorry for the forum neglect. (Well and tank neglect :unsure:)

But I was able to get a few pictures I have more just didn't upload them yet so hopefully soon. I am going to try and stay on top of this tank a bit more now that I have moved I'd like to shift it into a more visible location from where I usually am after work. Right now it's within sight but still not as close as I'd like. The 55 gallon Freshwater planted is right behind me so all I have to do is turn around.

Well, let me just say I have learned a valuable lesson with this tank before rebuilding it. I didn't dip my live rock or coral and ended up with a hell of a lot of unwanted hitchhikers like aiptasia, vermetid snails, some bad pods (I think), and some other things I couldn't identify. I think it was from my rock the coral vendor I use is solid and everyone I know who goes there never has problems. 

On a positive note the new light has been doing really well. The rics have grown a lot at the pretty low intensity I've had it at. And well the duncan I saw no growth prior to adding the light whereas after I added the light there are now 4 more heads! I'd still really like an awesome zoa colony though because I think those just look really cool if you get a nice looking one. Unfortunately, I wont be able to do what my original idea was with the last scape (cover an entire one of the 3 rocks with a colony) but instead I will have to be a little more creative on this layout. Or shift the rocks left / right and put a small rock in. The nice thing is I have my breeder almost done so that should start the cycle really soon and I will be able to do some swapping etc.

So before anyone says anything I forgot to top the tank off here but I did right after this picture so no worries! So I moved away from the 3 rocks and onto more of a single structure here is what I came up with: 

qknywRkh.jpg

I haven't seen much if any growth here which is odd. Just kind of sustaining (which I am okay with)

CJw0482.jpg

Sorry for the reflection on this one. And it closed up right as I turned the flow down to take a picture :blush:

EOzZ0SX.jpg

swPpvQhh.jpg

Well try and bug me, I really like to update people and love hearing from everyone on here. Still lurking around looking at others tanks I have so much catching up to do!

Fingers crossed I am able to pick up 1 or 2 corals this weekend and maybe a few snails / shrimp. But tomorrow is already packed so it'd have to be Sunday. 

Looks good!  Have you tried feeding the one that's not growing?

Well I'm not 100% sure how to. I've tried putting the reef chili with a pipette but no reactions from it so I don't know.

The Duncan is easy to see hence the crazy growth! And rics are easy but many time never usually grabs the mysis. Chili I am sure tho.

I mean it's doing fine just not growing like crazy. Which is okay but with my current limited coral livestock I need some growth! :)

8 minutes ago, money88 said:

Well I'm not 100% sure how to. I've tried putting the reef chili with a pipette but no reactions from it so I don't know.

The Duncan is easy to see hence the crazy growth! And rics are easy but many time never usually grabs the mysis. Chili I am sure tho.

I mean it's doing fine just not growing like crazy. Which is okay but with my current limited coral livestock I need some growth! :)

I dunno if it will eat but you could try mysis or pellets and see if it does anything. :)

26 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I dunno if it will eat but you could try mysis or pellets and see if it does anything. :)

I mean I think the reef chili would be best bet because it's so small compared to mysis. Kill keep everyone updated. 

Actually it could be my calcium level bc it's a hard skeleton. Maybe?

5 minutes ago, money88 said:

I mean I think the reef chili would be best bet because it's so small compared to mysis. Kill keep everyone updated. 

Actually it could be my calcium level bc it's a hard skeleton. Maybe?

A lot of LPS like to nom nom even mysis bits haha.  Idk about the calcium as I am not a tester...for better or worse... :unsure: Maybe someday.

21 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

A lot of LPS like to nom nom even mysis bits haha.  Idk about the calcium as I am not a tester...for better or worse... :unsure: Maybe someday.

Ya I mean the rics and the Duncan take the mysis really well. I just can't tell if the favia is nom nomming like the others. 

Also, here is a picture of the Duncan that I took yesterday too. He closed up right when I turned the flow down so he wasn't fully open here. 

fbLF14K.jpg

• Like 3

Picked up two plate corals last night, pretty tiny frags at this point but I will see if I can grab a picture tonight or tomorrow. One is a heliofungia actiniformis and the other was a ctenactis. 

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2017 at 12:57 PM, money88 said:

Picked up two plate corals last night, pretty tiny frags at this point but I will see if I can grab a picture tonight or tomorrow. One is a heliofungia actiniformis and the other was a ctenactis. 

Nice score! Any pictures?

On 12/3/2017 at 1:57 PM, teenyreef said:

Nice score! Any pictures?

Yes yes, Let me upload some to imgur now and share. I also have some pictures of my 40 breeder! Currently empty but plumbing is all done!

• Like 1