Innovative Marine Aquariums

Money's Evo 5 *Lets Try this Reef thing*

money88

1 minute ago, Lula_Mae said:

:lol:

I'm glad I haven't totally forgotten everything lol!  I just knew I remembered them being a good thing, if they were what I thought they were.  Maybe I'll get some again someday. fingerscrossed

Oh you will, yes indeedy. ;)

• Like 2

I'd like to replace the right rocks or right most rock with a larger more vertical rock. So think I will either be cutting one of the ones I have for my 40 if I can find one otherwise I am going to order some more. Definitely liking this setup though more than the last one I had, I will continue to tweak it and will be grabbing a shrimp this weekend (Candy cane). Let the fun begin, if I happen to see some awesome corals then I may not be able to resist.  

New FTS (3/1/17)

• Like 2
SaltyBuddha

Nice! Reminds me of the tank in the link below. 

I wanted to get a YWG too but I think my tank will be too small. Probably going to get a high fin but looking forward to watching the shrimp and goby interactions.

Three Island Scape

20 hours ago, money88 said:

Awesome thanks for the clarification! The link you posted @Rain24 said these were harmless so that means I don't have to worry about scraping these all off or anything?

Well I plan to do a large rearrangement of the aquascape when I get some more dry rock in the mail. So I wont be getting any sort of inhabitants until after that is done because it will really stir up the sand. I plan to start with a Candy Cane Shrimp, and then get a YWG to make a pair. Then we shall see where I go from there!

I hope that site is accurate. I did have spirorbids in my old tank and they were fun to just watch. It was the other stuff that doomed the tank (flatworms, etc.)

I love shrimp/goby pairings! Can't wait to see your pair in your tank.

On 3/2/2017 at 11:23 AM, Weetabix7 said:

They're safe and a sign of good microfauna in the system, no worries. 

Good to know!

Actively working on a raspberry pi controller because why not. I am a career programmer so I figured it would be something fun to tinker with. I will keep everyone updated on its status as well as the tank!

Just picked up a new shelf for the stand. Going to put it together Sunday will post pictures once the tank is situated in its new resting place. 

(May also be grabbing a candy cane this weekend)

kallax-shelf-unit-brown__0243998_PE383248_S4.JPG

• Like 4
buckeye_man18
On 3/1/2017 at 11:39 AM, money88 said:

Not currently using any Dr Tim's in my tank. So not sure what these are or if they were just on the LR when I put it into the tank. 

Thanks! Excited to finally get into the hobby, I have been SLOWLY getting that 40G breeder together for like 6+ months now so I needed something in the mean time. And the light replacement is a possibility but not a for sure. I hear the current like will house softies and LPS pretty well and I may only go that route, so will be keeping the light as is for most likely 3-6 months before looking at upgrading. 

I'd really like to just be able to upgrade the stock pump instead of installing the Pico-Evo 180 right now but will install the Pico-evo if necessary. I need the tank to pretty close to silent because it is in very close proximity to my bed so upgrading the pump to an Aqueon 600 is something I have been thinking about but someone mentioned above that it isn't as quiet compared to the stock pump. 

I would appreciate a video of the Pico-Evo in action! Let me know when you put one up. 

I'm not really sure why people say the Aqueon QuietFlow 600 is loud. It's not. I had the same concerns with my Evo V, which is in my office. I can't hear a thing. There is some ambient noise in there, but I keep it quiet when I work. It puts out a good flow, without overpowering the tank. I researched the question heavily and most people agreed the Hydor Pico is kind of a piece of crap in terms of durability and reliability. 

15 hours ago, buckeye_man18 said:

I'm not really sure why people say the Aqueon QuietFlow 600 is loud. It's not. I had the same concerns with my Evo V, which is in my office. I can't hear a thing. There is some ambient noise in there, but I keep it quiet when I work. It puts out a good flow, without overpowering the tank. I researched the question heavily and most people agreed the Hydor Pico is kind of a piece of crap in terms of durability and reliability. 

Ya honestly it's only like $20-30 for the pump so if it ends up being too loud I will just put the original back in. 

So in terms of a goby I am looking to possibly pick one up tomorrow, unfortunately the store didn't have any candy cane shrimp in Stock. Does anyone have any suggestions for the type of goby that would hopefully pair up with a pistol for my 5.5? From what I have read is a YWG is doable but maybe a bit large for the tank.

Otherwise I may start with a tiny clown if the store doesn't have what I need. Corals were a bit limited at the store but super excited to get going. So maybe I will look at getting a polyp or a ric

Also I know to not add too much at once only going to add one fish or invert this weekend

On 2/27/2017 at 2:32 PM, Lula_Mae said:

Welcome to Nano-Reef!  5g is a good size to start with I think, one of my first tanks was a 5.5.  Yeah, I wouldn't trust that stand with the weight of a tank, in the pic it looks a little bowed on the right side. :o  I think you'll find it a fun little tank to play with while you work on building your big tank. :)  Hope you have better luck with the Hydor Theo than I did, I had a 25w in 5.5 gallon tank and it kept trying to cook everything (consistently ran in the low-upper 80's even after being set in the upper 70's) :huh:.  Just keep an eye on your temps with it!

Sorry to chime in on your thread but those heaters are garbage I had the same thing happen to me with the 25w. If you can I'd take it back. 

8 minutes ago, HOTWATER said:

Sorry to chime in on your thread but those heaters are garbage I had the same thing happen to me with the 25w. If you can I'd take it back. 

Not a problem, love to have people share on my thread thats why I created it in the first place. Well unfortunately too late for that, I have a cobalt neotherm on the way for another fresh water tank that has an old heater that has been keeping it too hot. Actually currently the current heater I'd staying too cold I have it at 84 degrees.

Maybe I will throw the cobalt on this tank and the Hydor on the fresh 10. 

14 hours ago, money88 said:

Not a problem, love to have people share on my thread thats why I created it in the first place. Well unfortunately too late for that, I have a cobalt neotherm on the way for another fresh water tank that has an old heater that has been keeping it too hot. Actually currently the current heater I'd staying too cold I have it at 84 degrees.

Maybe I will throw the cobalt on this tank and the Hydor on the fresh 10. 

I noticed a day or two ago that Amazon had the 25w Cobalts for only about $33 instead of $48 or so.  In case you want to pick up another. ;)

• Like 1
On 3/5/2017 at 1:07 PM, Lula_Mae said:

I noticed a day or two ago that Amazon had the 25w Cobalts for only about $33 instead of $48 or so.  In case you want to pick up another. ;)

Yep I picked up a 50w when I saw this!

So some initial teaser pictures. Put together my new stand need to finish putting on the cabinet doors for the bottom two slots and clean the cords etc up. 

I have two new inhabitants though, was only able to snap a picture of the non moving one though. Plan on pulling out the nicer camera soon and snapping a few pictures for you all. 

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, money88 said:

Yep I picked up a 50w when I saw this!

So some initial teaser pictures. Put together my new stand need to finish putting on the cabinet doors for the bottom two slots and clean the cords etc up. 

jZeSFoF.jpg

I have two new inhabitants though, was only able to snap a picture of the non moving one though. Plan on pulling out the nicer camera soon and snapping a few pictures for you all. 

kdQrN6b.jpg

uHlt7FZ.jpg

Awesome!  Glad you were able to get one!  It's coming together!  And no worries about any messiness, you should see what's around my tank! :lol:

Gorgeous little ric you've got there! :wub:

13 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Awesome!  Glad you were able to get one!  It's coming together!  And no worries about any messiness, you should see what's around my tank! :lol:

Gorgeous little ric you've got there! :wub:

Thanks! The other inhabitant is a candy cane shrimp but he has been in hiding since I put him in the tank.

With just a shrimp and ric in the tank how should I go about feeding? I have some Frozen Calanus from Piscine Energetics

So I was able to get a horrible picture of the shrimp. He was so quick to go back into hiding I plan to try to leave him alone for another day or so for him to get used to the setting a bit. Still really new for him

• Like 2

I bet he'd come out for food!!

To feed him, I'd shave off a small amount of the frozen calanus and defrost it in some tankwater in a small container (I always end up using bottle lids, lol) and add it to the aquarium. 

With just the shrimp, you only need to feed a very small amount every other day or so, I'd guess. 

On 3/7/2017 at 7:16 AM, beardtamer said:

Im just a little bit behind you with my Evo 13.  Im curious to see what you do with it!

Awesome do you have a build thread as well?

On 3/7/2017 at 6:01 AM, Weetabix7 said:

I bet he'd come out for food!!

To feed him, I'd shave off a small amount of the frozen calanus and defrost it in some tankwater in a small container (I always end up using bottle lids, lol) and add it to the aquarium. 

With just the shrimp, you only need to feed a very small amount every other day or so, I'd guess. 

Actually this is when I snapped that picture of him; I did just that. He was still really skittish with the food out but came out regardless. And at night I hear him clicking away with his claw so I at least know he is out and about at night. Going to be watching water parameters with the addition of him and see if in another week or so I can pickup a Yasha possibly and hope they pair.

Also got a decent start on my controller, getting the temperature and float switch inputs working. You can see the LED here changing based on the position of the float switch. The LED GPIO output will be swapped for a relay controlling a plug. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, money88 said:

Awesome do you have a build thread as well?

Yeah, its literally just starting to cycle though so not much to see yet.  Yours is coming along nicely though, some interesting diy stuff I may want to copy.

• Like 1
On March 1, 2017 at 2:17 PM, money88 said:

Awesome thanks for the clarification! The link you posted @Rain24 said these were harmless so that means I don't have to worry about scraping these all off or anything?

Well I plan to do a large rearrangement of the aquascape when I get some more dry rock in the mail. So I wont be getting any sort of inhabitants until after that is done because it will really stir up the sand. I plan to start with a Candy Cane Shrimp, and then get a YWG to make a pair. Then we shall see where I go from there!

Thats what I did when I set up my 5.5, used super premium live rock, a bottle of bacteria, and started it up. Haven't had an issue since.

• Like 1

So while I was doing about a 40% water change today I was looking into the tank and noticed this can anyone identify and lmk if I should worry? Top one looks like hair algae?

2 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Top pic looks like a Vermetid Snail and it's web, see here: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/vermetid-snails-harm-coral-reefs-with-multiprong-attack

Bottom pic looks like tiny little featherdusters that like to hitchhike on LR. 

Hmm thanks, I grabbed the top picture with a pair of tweezers and ripped it off the rock. Unfortunately I lost it before being able to bring it out of the water so not sure where it ended up. But a few minutes later saw something sitting on my ric which may have been it and scooped it out with a net, hopefully that is what i scooped out and that was an isolated case.

The little white circles but what about the green that is forming in the crevasse? Or if that is what you are talking about are they are harmless?