Coral Vue Hydros

Money's Evo 5 *Lets Try this Reef thing*

money88

On 4/11/2017 at 7:56 AM, money88 said:

Yea I am not that upset about the snail loss because it's like nature and obviously the snail encroached to close to the shrimps home. I did remove the snail shell and ensure that all of the snail was actually out before placing it back in front of the shrimps cave. I wanted to make sure any unnecessary decay wouldn't cause an ammonia spike. But yea pretty much a real kick in the rear by the shrimp. 

Thanks, I love my cleaner shrimp as well. He is extremely friendly and curious as well! He will always investigate whatever comes into the tank, my fingers or my pipette when feeding its quite awesome. I don't think that the cleaner shrimp will have problems by the pistol he always sits right next to the pistol's home and the pistol snaps at him like crazy but the cleaner seems unphased haha. 

Thanks again I haven't seen any new growth on the duncans or the zoa, even though I haven't actually counted the Zoa's polyps since I have gotten it. But I was worried the duncan may have needed more calcium but the recent existence of coralline algae tells me my calcium levels are doing okay. 

I actually did make it to Beyond the Reef I think 2 weekends ago. It seems maintained extremely well and had some pretty awesome displays and crazy fish. They didn't have much in terms of smaller frags so I will most likely continue to pick up my frags from Reefwise and continue to checkout other stores. Plus their prices were a tad steeper at Beyond the Reef than some of the other stores I have been to recently. 

Haha...I love bold cleaner shrimps!

I'm glad to hear BtR is still well maintained. I guess it's not surprising that they're getting pricey considering they've been around forever now. They used to have a tank that was just smaller frags. I guess that gave way to other things.

Where's Reefwise? Who knows, maybe I'll get to check it out when I visit family in the area. The only problem is that if I like something, I can't take it back with me. LOL.

On 4/12/2017 at 2:43 PM, Rain24 said:

Haha...I love bold cleaner shrimps!

I'm glad to hear BtR is still well maintained. I guess it's not surprising that they're getting pricey considering they've been around forever now. They used to have a tank that was just smaller frags. I guess that gave way to other things.

Where's Reefwise? Who knows, maybe I'll get to check it out when I visit family in the area. The only problem is that if I like something, I can't take it back with me. LOL.

Reefwise is in Lisle. Nice little shop and the fish there are super exotic cool to look at but not for me. 

Corals usually travel relatively well. They also have a really big Ebay store and do some awesome shipping so if you really did find something you could ship it home!

Well some bad news I am pretty sure my zoas have pox :(

If anyone could confirm? I just got some furan 2 and will start treatment come Wednesday hopefully I can still keep it happy

Update

I have updated the first post of the thread to contain the info about my tank in an easy to read format. 

So what is going on with my tank? Well the last 2 days I have had some temp swings of 4-5 degrees over the course of a day which slightly worries me. Although the ricordea, duncan, and zoa continue to keep opening up. I am going to try to get that in check as soon as possible by integrating my heater with my controller and enabling / disabling the outlet its plugged into. Granted my temp swings were actually cold not hot dropping from 81 to 76 and then day two 79-74.8. I am sure this isn't helping my Zoa pox unfortunately. 

I have started my first treatment of the zoa pox last night using Furan 2. I followed guidance of a combination of forum posts to get to what approach to use. I am using about 1 packet per 2-3 cups of water instead of 1 cup as some people mention and see how it reacts. I don't want to over stress the coral with a high concentration of Furan 2 if not necessary. 

I have also been fighting cyano that last week or so as I just realized that is what it is. I have currently increased flow by adding a Hydor 425 powerhead in the corner opposite the return pump. This setup is most likely temporary and will be replacing with a Hydor 240 or a Jebao SW2 (wave controller). The cyano only shows up in between two rocks for the most part so I assume its because of flow. I plan to vacuum as much out tonight as I can and keep increased flow and shorter lighting periods to hopefully eradicate it. I am also still seeing some diatoms on the left side of the tank while I am seeing cyano on the right. The diatoms seem to be slowly going away so that is a good sign of maturity I am hoping. 

After I finish treating the zoa for pox I want to trim the frag plug more and glue it onto the rock it's currently sitting on. I am hoping the frag will survive the treatment and that the pox will go away because I'd like to grab more zoas soon. I am hoping to fill that rock with 2-3 different zoas and let them completely take over. 

I noticed new growth on the Duncan last night as well 2 new heads are coming off the largest head. Unfortunately I was unable to get any good pictures with the time I had so I will give it another shot soon. 

And the ric seemed to secrete stuff when I added the powerhead, I am not sure if that was because of the change or because it was unhappy? I guess time will tell but currently it seems to be opening up all the way and continuing its usual pattern throughout the day. 

My cleaner shrimp looks like he is going to molt again he is getting the same brown markings on his antenna. It appears last time he molted was first week in April so that sounds about right. I think people say about once a month is healthy, more than that it may be stressed.

Whereas my pistol shrimp is still alive and kicking here him snapping away at the cleaner all the time but still have only seen him that one time I grabbed the picture earlier in the thread. He has also been digging under the middle and left rock as well; previously he seemed to only confide to the holes within the right rock and 1 or 2 small burrows under that rock.

I never had a chance to get to the store the last few weekends and I have been really tempted to order some frags but cannot really justify the $30-$40 shipping costs from some of the online stores if I have a good location to purchase them and pick them up myself. It is two hours away from my home but I am usually up in that area anyway visiting so I just stop by right before I hit the highway. I am really hoping to stop by and get something this weekend; I wanted to grab some more zoas and maybe a hammer or trumpet but I will have to see what all catches my eye when I get there. I also don't want to go and pick up more zoas yet if I am unable to eradicate the zoa pox this week.

Here is my latest FTS from yesterday I know not much has changed :unsure: but they say patience is everything in this hobby

My ric showing some nice color

• Like 2

So I did another treatment to the zoa increased the furan 2 a little bit from the first day. The first day I stayed really light because I wanted to see if they reacted poorly. The polyps that were opening before are still opening but the ones covered in pox are no longer opening. Well lets hope this treatment works otherwise I will most likely lose the frag :(.

Well on a more positive note today I noticed even another head started to form on the Duncan and I was able to get an okay picture of it today right after I target fed it. 

Also if you look at that picture that red ball in the upper right I think is bubble algae? I ripped it out not knowing what it was but I have seen it a few times now in different spots about a few weeks apart. So hoping it is not an issue but only time will tell. 

I purchased a Jebao SW-2 today that will arrive Friday which I will replace my Hydor 425 with and use that again in my mixing buckets. The Hydor 425 has been helping with cyano as there isn't as large of a bloom anymore when it is running but hopefully mixing it up with the SW-2 will help prevent it from spreading more. 

Anyone have an easy favorites or suggestions for the next coral I should get? I need to grab myself another one this weekend and I am not looking for one with long sweepers. I was initially looking at Trumpets, Hammers (I know have sweepers), more zoas but really want to get the current pox situation sorted if possible first. I may pick another ric or 2 up and see what else they have and I like if no suggestions. They usually have pretty much anything you can think of so I am going to try and go in with some research done and at least have some clue.

I also really want to get a Yasha Goby to hopefully pair with my pistol but every time I go to get one they don't have any only YWG. But I think that a YWG will grow to big for this tank and I don't know the timeline in which my 40 breeder will be setup because I most likely wont set that up until I move into a new place in October. 

I also seem to have an extreme amount of pods, maybe because there is no predator or I am overfeeding? When I came home today though I noticed as I predicted a few days ago my shrimp molted again which to me is still exciting as it's only the second time. Here is a picture of it this time before I removed it because it was stuck in the Duncan

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I've really fallen for blastos, they are so fluffy and pretty when they are happy! :wub:

I have been looking a little bit into blastos, there are so many colors to choose from as well. I will have to do some reading on them and others so I am prepped when I go

• Like 1

I really love Blastos too, so I second the recommendation for those. 

Clove polyps are pretty and low maintenance as well. 

Sounds like your Shrimp is doing really well. 

Just persist with the Furan-2 dips for the Zoas, sometimes you don't see much of a response til after the second dip.

• Like 2

Also, I completely understand that it seems counter-intuitive to put Zoas in that horribly yellow water that seems very full of dangerous chemicals for the Furan-2 dip.

I was very nervous the first time I did it. 

But it works, it really does, and it doesn't hurt the Zoas, but if you don't do it full strength it may not work. 

So just commit and do it full on if you want results. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

I really love Blastos too, so I second the recommendation for those. 

Clove polyps are pretty and low maintenance as well. 

Sounds like your Shrimp is doing really well. 

Just persist with the Furan-2 dips for the Zoas, sometimes you don't see much of a response til after the second dip.

I will have to check them out, I know they are really colorful and easy to care for so that may be a logical next coral. 

43 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Also, I completely understand that it seems counter-intuitive to put Zoas in that horribly yellow water that seems very full of dangerous chemicals for the Furan-2 dip.

I was very nervous the first time I did it. 

But it works, it really does, and it doesn't hurt the Zoas, but if you don't do it full strength it may not work. 

So just commit and do it full on if you want results. 

And yea I plan to do the full amount right now I did 1 packet for about 2-3 cups. I have heard varying inputs as to what that recommended amount is though. Have you done it before? I have heard as much as a packet per cup of saltwater. 

I've done it but I don't remember the amount I did. 

There's a thread on Zoa Pests & Diseases stickied at the top of the Pest & Disease forum and I'm pretty sure there's a link in the first post on how to treat Zoa Pox with Furan 2. If you look at that, that's exactly what I did. 

13 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

I've done it but I don't remember the amount I did. 

There's a thread on Zoa Pests & Diseases stickied at the top of the Pest & Disease forum and I'm pretty sure there's a link in the first post on how to treat Zoa Pox with Furan 2. If you look at that, that's exactly what I did. 

Ya unfortunately all of these threads with information on the Furan 2 dips link to the zoaid website which currently has a suspended account so no information can be seen. I will continue doing the amount that I saw on another thread. 

So I noticed I have a pod infestation....literally TONS of pods...I think they may actually be eating my Zoa. Is there a way to eradicate them or will this population drop or?

But I keep seeing tons of pods all over my Zoas so I think they may be munching on them...HELP! haha

• Like 1

Get a Wrasse to eat them. 

Do you already have a fish in here?

Wait, this is a 5g. 

Ummm..... geez I can't even get away w/recommending a Sixline. 

Hmmm. 

24 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Get a Wrasse to eat them. 

Do you already have a fish in here?

Wait, this is a 5g. 

Ummm..... geez I can't even get away w/recommending a Sixline. 

Hmmm. 

Ya that was my only thought too...but ya its a 5 gallon although no fish yet I think the 6 line would still get to big. I wish there was a rent a wrasse program lol

• Like 1
20 hours ago, money88 said:

So I noticed I have a pod infestation....literally TONS of pods...I think they may actually be eating my Zoa. Is there a way to eradicate them or will this population drop or?

But I keep seeing tons of pods all over my Zoas so I think they may be munching on them...HELP! haha

The pods are probably just taking advantage of the sad zoas. 

The population will naturally even itself out.  

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

The pods are probably just taking advantage of the sad zoas. 

The population will naturally even itself out.  

I agree that this is probably true in this particular scenario. 

Until you get the Zoas feeling better, it might not hurt to see if they can be placed a little higher up in the tank where the Pods are less likely to bother them. 

Maybe even get some eggcrate and small PVC and make a small eggcrate shelf to elevate them above the floor of the tank. 

Or just put a small plastic dish upside down in tank and put em on those, something like that. 

Thx for sharing the link again, just re-read it. 

Def proceed w/Furan dip as link directs. 

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

I agree that this is probably true in this particular scenario. 

Until you get the Zoas feeling better, it might not hurt to see if they can be placed a little higher up in the tank where the Pods are less likely to bother them. 

Maybe even get some eggcrate and small PVC and make a small eggcrate shelf to elevate them above the floor of the tank. 

Or just put a small plastic dish upside down in tank and put em on those, something like that. 

Thx for sharing the link again, just re-read it. 

Def proceed w/Furan dip as link directs. 

Or a fancy soap dish frag rack ;)

That's what I use to isolate things usually.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

How did I forget this??

I even have one!!

Yes, do that!!

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Soap dish? Have a picture? Right now I put it up on top of a rock and there are definitely less pods crawling all over it but still have some. Otherwise the pox look slightly better or its just me being optimistic 

6 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

:lol: Need more coffee?

YES. This was my Friday off. I get every other off and when I don't work I usually don't make myself coffee but now that you said that I will be doing just that...love me some coffee

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, money88 said:

Soap dish? Have a picture? Right now I put it up on top of a rock and there are definitely less pods crawling all over it but still have some. Otherwise the pox look slightly better or its just me being optimistic 

YES. This was my Friday off. I get every other off and when I don't work I usually don't make myself coffee but now that you said that I will be doing just that...love me some coffee

Haha there's some pics on my thread, let me see if I can figure out where.

I rarely make myself coffee but since I'm currently at my parents' house, it is much easier to do so lol.

This post has a pic of one in top right.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, money88 said:

Like this:IMG_0560.thumb.JPG.cb1d6245377ca046dd7b34635e8cf3e4.JPG