SaltCritters.com

Looking for some input.

zoohed

So I picked up this shallow cube a guy was selling locally. It's not the prettiest thing in the world. Looks to me it was made from scrap and kind of just thrown together. My plan is to just use it as a frag tank with a few fish. It's roughly about 20-25 gal. 

Here's what I'm trying to figure out. It was sealed inside with silicone but was also obviously put to together albeit sloppily with Weldon as well.  I'm thinking about either drilling it and adding a sump or talking to one of the many acrylic manufacturers on the board and seeing about having a false wall made and turning it in to an AIO. Also planning on removing the current silicone and redoing it with black and also sanding and polishing the viewable panels.  My one concern is there is a spot on one panel that looks like maybe a sanding wheel bit into it it's about a fingernails length deep. Other than asthetics any structural problems to worry about with it?  I was told the guy I got it from was the second owner and he had set it up for a couple of swaps and the last owner had it setup for close to a year. Couple of pictures to show the gouge and what I'm working with. 

IMG_2497.JPG

IMG_2498.JPG

With that tank being acrylic, the silicone is useless. It just doesn't bond to acrylic worth a damn. If a band aid repair like that has been done to this tank, I would question how watertight it actually is. The gouge in the side of the tank isn't what would worry me. The acrylic looks pretty thick and the gouge probably isn't big enough to cause concern.

Archived