Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Please help ID clove polyps

dee171

I bought a frag at LFS and was told it was cut from a colony of neon clove polys shown here Image result for neon clove polyps

but mine look like this Image result for clove polyps

will they grow to look like that ? or did i get something else ? Ive seen frags of the neon clove polyps look the same so....

Christopher Marks

Those do look different, but there's a few possibilities. Your tank's lighting can greatly effect the coloration of your corals, the photo you referenced has a lot of blue actinic light which helps bring out a neon glow in corals, but your photo is more neutral white light. Coral can shift colors depending on their lighting conditions, it may take time to acclimate. I suspect these are just a different kind than those in the 1st photo though, only with neon centers.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to Please help ID clove polyps
47 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Those do look different, but there's a few possibilities. Your tank's lighting can greatly effect the coloration of your corals, the photo you referenced has a lot of blue actinic light which helps bring out a neon glow in corals, but your photo is more neutral white light. Coral can shift colors depending on their lighting conditions, it may take time to acclimate. I suspect these are just a different kind than those in the 1st photo though, only with neon centers.

yeah that makes since I  guess time will tell thanks for reply

Archived