ReefCleaners.org

Surveyman's Euphyllia Dominated NUVO 10

SURVEYMAN46123

Christopher Marks
1 hour ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

An exciting day with my reef.   Its my nano's 1st birthday!

1.jpg

Congratulations on your first year @SURVEYMAN46123! You have built a really nice nano reef for yourself, it's been great to watch it progress. Thanks for sharing the journey with us!

• Like 3

Love the tank and happy birthday!   The top down shots really show it filling in ha.  I need another ric in my tank... had two when the tank was young and they did not do well.  

I'm curious to hear about your experiences with Euphyllia in a small home.  I've placed my frogspawn and two hammers on the far side of my tank because of their potential to sting other corals.  The frogspawn has grown to 5-6 heads and has always played nice.  One of the two hammers always has sweepers out now and stung the crap out of my Acan echinata so I had to put up a rock wall to separate it for now- likely will sell it.

SURVEYMAN46123
3 minutes ago, Butchy21 said:

Love the tank and happy birthday!   The top down shots really show it filling in ha.  I need another ric in my tank... had two when the tank was young and they did not do well.  

I'm curious to hear about your experiences with Euphyllia in a small home.  I've placed my frogspawn and two hammers on the far side of my tank because of their potential to sting other corals.  The frogspawn has grown to 5-6 heads and has always played nice.  One of the two hammers always has sweepers out now and stung the crap out of my Acan echinata so I had to put up a rock wall to separate it for now- likely will sell it.

Thanks!   Yes its filling in for sure.   I have so many more types of coral I would love to keep but have to be choosy about what I can keep. 

My euphyllia have all played nicely.   I did notice a few sting "marks" on my monti cap from the frogspawn, so I moved the Monti out of the flow/reach of the frogspawn.   Everything else has plenty of sweepers that come out, but because of my flow the sweepers don't hit anything.  

SURVEYMAN46123
39 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

patience, stability, moderate-random flow

This!

I don't dose anything, feed corals twice a week, and keep things stable.

SURVEYMAN46123

My torch is really starting to turn the corner.   I thought I was going to loose it like the last purple torch I had, but its looking great.

Also my little Yasha Goby decided to show himself off last night before lights were out.   This little goby has an awesome personality. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 3
SURVEYMAN46123

Something was going on with my Frogspawn and Hammer last evening.   Wasn't fluffy and open like usual.   My other hammer and torches were all open and happy.   Noticed my alk was lower than I usually like to keep it.   My alk stays stable at 8.5 - 8.6, and it was 7.7 last night.

Any ideas other than low alk?

:(. I don't have any ideas...

I did want to pop in and compliment you on the aesthetic of your tank though. I like that you went with just a few colonies and let them grow out. It's a nice look and less "busy" than most tanks. 

SURVEYMAN46123
10 hours ago, Rene said:

:(. I don't have any ideas...

I did want to pop in and compliment you on the aesthetic of your tank though. I like that you went with just a few colonies and let them grow out. It's a nice look and less "busy" than most tanks. 

Thanks.   I would love to have a tank with more variety but I knew going in that wouldn't be a good idea in such a small tank.

On 2/27/2018 at 8:54 AM, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

My torch is really starting to turn the corner.   I thought I was going to loose it like the last purple torch I had, but its looking great.

Also my little Yasha Goby decided to show himself off last night before lights were out.   This little goby has an awesome personality. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

What a beautiful fish!

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123

So a bit of good news and some some exciting news as well.   Been struggling with my neon green torch, I thought I was loosing it, but it seems to be splitting so I’m going to let it do its thing and then place it back where it was.  That’s a good thing because it needs to be around to meet its new Euphyllia cousins.   Yep I said cousins.....

Yesterday I was browsing a local forum and someone mentioned this local reefer who had some show stoppers on Craigslist.  I know, craigslist.... ick, but I took a lunge at the bait.   Turns out the guy lives across the street from my office.  Seriously I can look out my office window and see his house.  Anyway I go and take a look today and to my surprise he has a Frag tank from heaven.  Seriously it’s full of corals I’ve been dying to get my hands on.  Especially two that none of my LFS’ are able to get their hands on.   A blue branching hammer, and a gold torch.  These two coral are on top of my list.  

Anyway i try not to show my hand, and start asking about his zoa’s.  I spot a two polyp Frag of Rastas and ask him how much, just to get an idea.  He says, 5 bucks a polyp.  Holy crap, is he serious?   No one sells them that cheap around here.   So then I ask about his rainbow acan.  15 he says.... WHAT?!?!   This is quality stuff, his equipment is top of the line, House is immaculate, am I in the Reef tank twilight zone?!?   So then I ask about the Blue hammer.  He says, 35 then he points to the torches, and says “eh I’ll take 55, that’s reasonable right?”    My jaw nearly hits the floor.  This guy has to be pulling my leg.  Last gold torch I saw was 95 a head.  

So anyway we chat a bit and I’m mulling it over in my head.  The 100 is burning a hole in my ass.  I tell him to bundle it up and I’m out the door feeling like I got a great deal.  The entire drive home I’m thinking, where in hell am I going to put these frags.  By the time I got home I had a plan and I think it’s going to make the tank look better in my eyes. 

100 bucks isn’t much in this hobby, but I feel like I got a great deal on some things I never thought I would be able to afford.  

Anyway im rambling, and a bit excited here for sure.  This Nano now has 4 torches, 3 hammers, and a frogspawn.   :woah face:

• Like 3
  • Wow 2
50 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

So a bit of good news and some some exciting news as well.   Been struggling with my neon green torch, I thought I was loosing it, but it seems to be splitting so I’m going to let it do its thing and then place it back where it was.  That’s a good thing because it needs to be around to meet its new Euphyllia cousins.   Yep I said cousins.....

Yesterday I was browsing a local forum and someone mentioned this local reefer who had some show stoppers on Craigslist.  I know, craigslist.... ick, but I took a lunge at the bait.   Turns out the guy lives across the street from my office.  Seriously I can look out my office window and see his house.  Anyway I go and take a look today and to my surprise he has a Frag tank from heaven.  Seriously it’s full of corals I’ve been dying to get my hands on.  Especially two that none of my LFS’ are able to get their hands on.   A blue branching hammer, and a gold torch.  These two coral are on top of my list.  

Anyway i try not to show my hand, and start asking about his zoa’s.  I spot a two polyp Frag of Rastas and ask him how much, just to get an idea.  He says, 5 bucks a polyp.  Holy crap, is he serious?   No one sells them that cheap around here.   So then I ask about his rainbow acan.  15 he says.... WHAT?!?!   This is quality stuff, his equipment is top of the line, House is immaculate, am I in the Reef tank twilight zone?!?   So then I ask about the Blue hammer.  He says, 35 then he points to the torches, and says “eh I’ll take 55, that’s reasonable right?”    My jaw nearly hits the floor.  This guy has to be pulling my leg.  Last gold torch I saw was 95 a head.  

So anyway we chat a bit and I’m mulling it over in my head.  The 100 is burning a hole in my ass.  I tell him to bundle it up and I’m out the door feeling like I got a great deal.  The entire drive home I’m thinking, where in hell am I going to put these frags.  By the time I got home I had a plan and I think it’s going to make the tank look better in my eyes. 

100 bucks isn’t much in this hobby, but I feel like I got a great deal on some things I never thought I would be able to afford.  

Anyway im rambling, and a bit excited here for sure.  This Nano now has 4 torches, 3 hammers, and a frogspawn.   :woah face:

I'm glad to hear the torch is splitting. I thought that my be the case!

Nice find...on Craiglist even! Looking forward to pics of your haul! 

2 hours ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Without pictures it didn't happen... Just kidding, I just really want to see the the gold torch! Great pick up!

SURVEYMAN46123

Here is a quick vid from today.  The new frags look to be pretty happy in their new home.  ??   I know I’m happy with them.  

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
SURVEYMAN46123
3 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Wow what an epic discovery @SURVEYMAN46123! Great new frags for the tank, they all look happy in their new home.

Have fun at the frag swap tomorrow! You might need to pick up a magnetic frag rack while you're there ?

Haha yep.  My evening was spent helping with setup and looking for a little magnetic rack.  ?

• Haha 1
SURVEYMAN46123

Picked up a couple small frags at the swap yesterday, basically because I don’t have much room. ?. Anyway it was mostly zoa’s, but my daughter picked out this beautiful blasto that we had to have.   It’s not fully open in this photo but it’s gonna be a stunner.  What do you think?  

Also the neon green torch ended up getting BJD.  Pretty bummed about that but I moved the purple torch over in its place.  

8BC038E8-E239-44D7-8D07-CB500E7C8E5E.jpeg

• Like 1