ReefCleaners.org

Surveyman's Euphyllia Dominated NUVO 10

SURVEYMAN46123

SURVEYMAN46123
10 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Very nice!  Some pinks/reds/yellows might pop with all the green.  Might I suggest some blastos or acans?  (Disclaimer, I LOVE blastos so am biased).

Can't really tell what it is but if it's on the back/dark side in lower flow, maybe a tunicate/sponge type thing?

Yes Ive been looking for more Purples/Pinks/Reds/Blues.   Blastos are on my list..  :thumbs up:

I will take a look and research to see if that might be it.   Thank you.

SURVEYMAN46123

Sitting here daydreaming at work today.  I've always thought I'd want to upgrade to a bigger tank, but I love the ease of this little nano.   I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank, and honestly I loathe doing water changes and or maintenance on it.   This little tank is so easy to work on and with I don't know why I would want to go any bigger.   Still have plenty of room for coral too.   ;)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Sitting here daydreaming at work today.  I've always thought I'd want to upgrade to a bigger tank, but I love the ease of this little nano.   I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank, and honestly I loathe doing water changes and or maintenance on it.   This little tank is so easy to work on and with I don't know why I would want to go any bigger.   Still have plenty of room for coral too.   ;)

The grass isn't always greener on the other side.  I downsized from a 120G to a 45G.  Sweet baby Jesus I want a 10G, but I think my sweet spot is that 25G Fusion Lagoon.

You've done a great job on your 10G, but you're already running out of room keeping it stocked with corals.  Hear me out:  what if you picked up a 2nd 10G and kept this one running?  

20 hours ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Here is the “fuzz” I was speaking of. 

B0F21858-FE77-4D6D-8456-EC5DA05D78BE.jpeg

I have this same fuzz on the dark side of my live rock. Hasn't hurt anything as far as I can tell.

Riding along on this one for an answer...

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123
3 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

The grass isn't always greener on the other side.  I downsized from a 120G to a 45G.  Sweet baby Jesus I want a 10G, but I think my sweet spot is that 25G Fusion Lagoon.

You've done a great job on your 10G, but you're already running out of room keeping it stocked with corals.  Hear me out:  what if you picked up a 2nd 10G and kept this one running?  

Yea I know.  I’ll get there one day but for now I’m happy with this tank.  Trust me I still have plenty of room for more coral.  ?

actually i I had a second NUVO 10 as an office tank but shut it down and sold it.  

SURVEYMAN46123

Not the best shot, but the view from my recliner is pretty awesome.  Plus I can imagine that its much warmer than it actually is outside when looking at the mini ocean in my living room. 

views.jpg

• Like 2
SURVEYMAN46123

Well Monday evening I arrived home and noticed that my purple torch wasn't opening like it had in the past.   After dinner I did a waterchange and moved it into a shaded low flow part of the tank.   About an hour later, I noticed it had some brown spots coming from the skeleton, I feared the worst.   A closer look not only revealed what I didnt want to see, but a smell of death that I cannot forget.    Quick internet research suggested a peroxide dip.   Upon placing the frag into the dip, the tissue and brown jelly like substance separated from the skeleton.  The death of my frag was evident.   I threw it away and sulked the rest of the evening.

Yesterday afternoon I picked up our new candy cane pistol shrimp to pair with the Yasha Goby.   After an hour acclimation, I placed it within the tank.   Within minutes they were paired.   

So a negative and a positive to start the week.  

That sucks about the dead torch coral.  I would've sulked and pouted too. 

Congratulations on the instant pairing though.  I get a lot of enjoyment from my goby/pistol pair. 

• Like 2
SURVEYMAN46123

Yea, part of the hobby.

Right now I'm starting to turn my focus to zoa's.   Attending a frag swap saturday, and hope to bring back some colorful frags. 

burtbollinger
22 hours ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Well Monday evening I arrived home and noticed that my purple torch wasn't opening like it had in the past.   After dinner I did a waterchange and moved it into a shaded low flow part of the tank.   About an hour later, I noticed it had some brown spots coming from the skeleton, I feared the worst.   A closer look not only revealed what I didnt want to see, but a smell of death that I cannot forget.    Quick internet research suggested a peroxide dip.   Upon placing the frag into the dip, the tissue and brown jelly like substance separated from the skeleton.  The death of my frag was evident.   I threw it away and sulked the rest of the evening.

Yesterday afternoon I picked up our new candy cane pistol shrimp to pair with the Yasha Goby.   After an hour acclimation, I placed it within the tank.   Within minutes they were paired.   

So a negative and a positive to start the week.  

was this the torch you bought in December?

burtbollinger
15 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Yea the day after Christmas.

any hints that it was gonna go south on you during the time you had it?  Anything seem amiss?

SURVEYMAN46123
2 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

any hints that it was gonna go south on you during the time you had it?  Anything seem amiss?

No signs really.   A day beforehand it just stopped opening up as much as it had been, but I figured something had ticked it off.   It happened pretty quick honestly.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
SURVEYMAN46123

I was given a frag of green montipora spongodes back in early december, but it seems to be dying.   Its been slowly turning white over the past couple of weeks.   During my weekly water change, I removed it from atop the highest rock and placed it within a lower light area to attempt to save it.   Not really expecting it to live but if I can save it, coolio.  Still bummed about the purple torch, however the LFS I purchased it from received a couple last week and is keeping an eye on them for me in a separate tank from the show floor.   He told me that if they continue to look good, he will give me a deal on one of them.   I'm good with that! 

As far as the tank goes, its just chugging along.   I visited a couple LFS' over the weekend, but wasn't impressed with their coral selections.   I'm just going to let the tank be itself for awhile and when I come across something I really want, I will grab it then.   Completely content with just letting it be what it is right now.  Plus the view from the couch is pretty good.  ;)

0-1.jpg

0-2.jpg

SURVEYMAN46123

When I visited the LFS I bought a bottle of “Fuel” with the intention of helping boost color, and growth.   However with the first dosing I noticed a change in the tank.  It was like night and day a couple hours after feeding.  The tank just looked bleh.   

So last evening I performed a large waterchange.   Pulled the pump, and scrubbed the rear chambers.   It was a major cleaning I have only done twice before.   Anyway about an hour after the WC, everything was much happier.  That made me feel better, and really considering never using the “fuel” again.  

Today my daughters and I visited one of the local LFS’ we hadn’t visited since they moved to a new location.   I knew they had a $10 Frag tank and I was salivating to see what they had.   Honestly I would have bought a piece of each variety of frags they had, but ended up only buying one piece.   Mainly because I am going to be away from the tank for a week and did t want a bunch of frags in the tank possibly struggling. 

So after thinking about this type of coral for months and having them right in front of me, I brought home a piece of Red Monti Cap.  As I said I’ve been debating going this route for awhile but I know they are typically hardy and these frags have came from a well established colony.   A colony that has always been kept under LED lighting, specifically Kessil.

59B5BE37-9728-4CDA-B42E-0F643306832A.jpeg

C802FEC0-5D41-4E1D-BB45-61E0AB39CA95.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
SURVEYMAN46123

Tank survived the few days I was away for the Rolex 24 in Daytona.   Actually looked better than I thought it was going to.   Been so on top of doing my weekly water changes, but this week I'm running a couple days behind.

Top Down 2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
SURVEYMAN46123

Tank has been pretty much on autopilot recently.   Still looking for that "right" coral for my shaded spots.   I've found some that I'd like to keep, but the prices keep me from pulling the trigger.   Also still looking for a purple torch to add to my torch garden.    There is a frag swap locally in the coming month I might attend if I can get away from other responsibilities, if so hopefully I can find what I'm looking for there.  In the mean time things continue to thrive and I continue enjoying this little nano.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Looking good!

Is that monti cap really that close to the frogspawn? And it looks like it has a white spot, possibly frogspawn reaching out and stinging it?

Id move it if that’s the case.

monti caps tend to form a base around the rock then start spreading out. Not gonna have much room left when this starts to grow...just something to keep in mind ??

SURVEYMAN46123
23 hours ago, Andreww said:

Looking good!

Is that monti cap really that close to the frogspawn? And it looks like it has a white spot, possibly frogspawn reaching out and stinging it?

Id move it if that’s the case.

monti caps tend to form a base around the rock then start spreading out. Not gonna have much room left when this starts to grow...just something to keep in mind ??

So I took notice to your post, and became a little concerned.   When I got home last evening I noticed another white spot on the monti and decided to move it.   The only place I could really move it to was a spot behind the area I had it originally.   However with my flow, this will keep from any sweepers from reaching it.    Now that's not to say later on down the road when its larger I wont have the same problem, but for now I hope it thrives where it is.  I may also sell off the trumpet coral I have located on the top rock to make room for an ORA Mint Pavona Coral a local reefer has.  Also looking to pick up an orange ricordea and duncan frag from him also.

Also I'm headed to my LFS this afternoon for a little goodie I've been wanting for years.   You can say I went for gold.....

1.jpg

2.jpg

SURVEYMAN46123

Visited the LFS yesterday and came home with a couple new frags.   Gonna try my luck with a purple torch again.   This time this one has some orange in the tentacles and bright golden/yellow tips.   Thanks to @Lawnmanfor tipping me off to this beauty.

Also snagged a nice 6 polyp frag of Yellow Brick Road zoa's.   Had to have them because yellow zoa's are hard to come by around here.

This weekend I'm picking up a Mint Pavona, Duncan, and an Orange Ricordea.   This tank is getting packed for sure.

1.jpg

2.jpg

SURVEYMAN46123

Closing in on a year out since I started this tank.   For an early birthday present I picked up some more frags.  ;)

Orange Ricordea

Mint Green Pavona

Duncan

I've been thinking for a while I wanted to keep a plate coral on the sandbed, but Ive been convinced to go with ricordeas on the sand instead.   I can get a bit more variety of color and texture down there.   I think this will really help make my tank "pop".   Well at least I hope it does. 

1.jpg

• Like 1