Cultivated Reef

Need help on information?

justinming49

I started my nano 5 gallon on Wednesday and it contains 5 pounds of live rock and live sand. I read somewhere that I wouldn't need an additional source of ammonia if I had live rock and I should wait until my ammonia reads 0 to add live stock. 

Right now my ph is -7.4-7.8 

ammonia - 0 

nitrite - 0 

nitrate - 0 

what should I do? 

Was it cured liverock? Regular liverock that was dirty looking? Dry reef rock?

Ammonia dosing isn't needed with liverock but if it was cured then you may not see any spike.

54 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Was it cured liverock? Regular liverock that was dirty looking? Dry reef rock?

Ammonia dosing isn't needed with liverock but if it was cured then you may not see any spike.

Really no ammonia? Is it still good to play it safe and spike it a bit at first?

Btw sorry to jump into your thread @justinming49

agreed to all

people and businesses that set up giant expensive frag and fish displays at MACNA and other conventions/get togethers use the method you mention so they don't have to show up 30 days early w a bottle of dr tims and an api ammonia test kit

its reliable that when simply moving live rocks among tanks, they go along for the ride w no loss of bac. transport all live rock home from the pet store underwater to seal the deal. I didn't, my rocks rode home in the trunk in air in a pile on some plastic./ still skip cycled ten yrs ago./

one place to find the information here is the soft cycle thread in the biological filtration forum

If the rock is truly cured, meaning everything on it that died has already rotten away and the rock has an established bacterial colony, you wouldn't get an ammonia spike. I was able to transfer aquariums with no problem. I waited two weeks with no ammonia spike in the new aquarium and the kind folks here like Brandon told me all about the skip cycle. I could have moved straight over had I trusted in my new live rock.

Archived