Innovative Marine Aquariums

Veng's 65g

Veng

8 hours ago, Veng said:

One bag of sand in and it's starting to clear.  Thinking I need to at least double this...

FmMcWgr.jpg

What type of sand did you use I like that it's so fine grained 

• Like 2

I added another 40lbs of Fiji Pink sand, water still hadn't fully cleared by the end of last night, so I didn't get a picture.  I'll try to get one when I get home tonight.  Had to change the filter socks as they were clogged with sand.  Still fiddling with the overflow, really need to raise one of the stand pipes up about 1/4-1/2", but not sure if I can actually do that.  I'll measure some more tomorrow.  I think I'm going to set up the 24" T5s I have in the garage over the tank in the next week or so just to give it some temporary light as I start contemplating what to move into it, etc.  I also need to get the ATO setup and dial in salinity.  It was around 1.022-1.023 last time I measured a few days ago. I've got excess water in the system due to the sand addition, so I'm trying to just let it evaporate down, we'll see how that goes.  

I also need to get another power strip as I'm already running into outlet issues and the one that's in there now is located at the back and almost inaccessible.  Wonder if I can just get a remote on/off button to mount closer to the front.  Maybe something like this:

41nlx5fRZXL.jpg

On 3/3/2017 at 11:57 PM, jstuver said:

What type of sand did you use I like that it's so fine grained 

What's shown is Caribsea's "special grade reef sand".  I've since added another 40lbs of "Fiji Pink". 

On 3/4/2017 at 0:06 AM, urbaneks said:

Exciting times.  Congrats on the new build

Thanks!

• Like 1

Not much to share as far as an update.  I tossed some algae in the fuge and a cup of sand in the main tank.  Looks like I accidentally transfered a couple snails when I did.  Got a couple more power strips mounted and still tweaking with the overflow plumbing.  Maybe next weekend I'll start transfering something like the GSP rock and the clowns.  Still need to get the ATO turned on.  I think I've got enough finished in the stand that I can do that soon.  

• Like 4
StinkyBunny
On 2/27/2017 at 7:53 AM, vlangel said:

Don't wish for all that to happen too fast.  The next thing you know they are married and gone, with families of their own.  Its good but the stage you are in now will never come again.

And the older you get, the faster time goes.

On 2/27/2017 at 8:37 AM, Mariaface said:

Currently living vicariously through everyone with a sump. I love this thread already! :wub:

The next time I come up there I'm gonna bring my drill and an overflow, we can fix the no sump thing. ;)

On 3/3/2017 at 5:11 PM, metrokat said:

omgomgomg

Why is it lumpy? :unsure:

On 3/3/2017 at 5:29 PM, Veng said:

There were a couple of rocks, lol.

I was thinking cat, but I'm goofy that way. :D

When I start a new system, I put a wad of filtre floss in the sock, in about 6 hours the tank's clear as a bell.

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

The next time I come up there I'm gonna bring my drill and an overflow, we can fix the no sump thing. ;)

PASS!

I have parental units to contend with, so let's wait until I've gotten Sallie Mae and co off my back :P I'll move out and get a Reefer, don't worry 

• Like 2

I'm out of town till this Friday, but next weekend I think we are going to put up some temp lights and start moving some tester coral into this thing.  Can't wait!

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, we WERE going to get everything finished, mount the light, triple check the water, blah blah, but........ He now has to replace 5 fence posts because of the storm the other night. We do have a Zoa rock and some GSP in the tank and they love it! <3

• Like 2
6 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Well that's a good sign! Sorry to hear about the storm damage. Did they break, or just get blown over, or what?

Snapped 5 landscape timber posts right at the ground from straight line winds.  3 or 4 of those were less than a year old, had installed them when it blew over last year. :lol:  

In other news, everything has been moved to the new tank and the old one has been broken down.  Currently just running carbon and skimming on the new tank.  I have not turned the dosers on yet.  I have to leave town tomorrow and figure it's the best option not to try to turn that on when i'll be away for a couple days and can't measure it daily.  Probably get those up and running late next week or next weekend.  It's been a long time coming, but it sure feels good now that's done. 

Utpsjiw.jpg

• Like 9

Wow :o! Did you replace them with something a little stronger? Like steel? :lol:

The tank looks great and it fits in perfectly in that space! I see that the Veng LE Frag seems to like it too :)

• Like 2
4 hours ago, metrokat said:

Tank looks good, how did you get that square cyphastrea piece? Did you break the overflow in the old tank?

lol You know he did! 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, metrokat said:

Tank looks good, how did you get that square cyphastrea piece? Did you break the overflow in the old tank?

It was encrusted a good 1/8-1/4" thick or something on the rear wall in some placed, it wasn't coming off the glass.  That square piece is actually the overflow box, removed from the rear wall of the tank and turned upside down.  

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Veng said:

It was encrusted a good 1/8-1/4" thick or something on the rear wall in some placed, it wasn't coming off the glass.  That square piece is actually the overflow box, removed from the rear wall of the tank and turned upside down.  

Which has already been knocked over and fixed. Silly emerald crabs.

• Like 4

So I'm going to leave a bit of a negative review here on the Skimz DB4 dosing container.  Complete and utter disappointment.  It seemed to be an economical alternative to some of the other options.  However, it's crap.  The first one I got wasn't properly packaged and arrived cracked in several places.  The second one I got, 2 of the 4 containers leak.  I think I've sealed them with super glue, but I'm not going to be surprised when I find another leak in the other two.  

Other than that, the tank seems to be doing well.  Had a very slow leak on one of the bulkheads on the overflow, I was able to tighten it a bit and it seems to have stopped.  So we'll see what happens.  All in all I'm very glad I put that super thick deck over stuff in the sump as it's effectively had about 3 major spills at this point.  

• Like 5
3 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Sorry to hear that the doser could cause sleepless nights. I hope it behaves from now on.

I hope it does too.  I really wish I didn't have some of the workmanship issues I had on my trigger systems sump or I probably would have just tossed down the cash for their new dosing containers.  I think I'm going to wait and see how the reviews come back on those first.  

3 hours ago, vlangel said:

The tank looks great.  It was worth the wait.

Thanks!  I've really happy with how it's turned out.  

• Like 1

Dosing container seems to be holding together and the leaks have stopped.  I've decided to take video more seriously than I had in the past, so I decided to take a different kind of video tonight.  Let me know if you like the style.

• Like 8