SaltCritters.com

Veng's 65g

Veng

So they always say to post the finished product first, so here goes:

BAp2b3U.jpg

Background:  I always wanted to move larger than my 20L, but for a while I didn't have the time or energy to devote to setting up a new tank.  But the kids loved the tank so much, that I decided I just HAD to upgrade.  When the kids do this, how do you not upgrade to something even bigger and better?

YxHSc9k.jpg

I always disliked having to wait months waiting for updates on build threads, so I delayed starting this one until the tank was wet.  With my schedule, it'll probably still be another month before I move livestock over from the 20L, but should be able to share updates of the process.  

So first question was where to put the fish tank.  We talked for a while about different locations, but finally settled on the stair well.  Of course no one makes  semi-circular fish tank or stand, so we had to get creative.  First we mocked up the space to make sure the stand would work visually.  

Currently occupied by kids toys that need evicting!

qezuqSn.jpg

Mock up in place:

wf673M1.jpg

Stepping back a little

a93NgJM.jpg

Now that we had a concept for this DIY stand, I contacted a local cabinet maker to get a quote.  I couldn't justify how much he wanted, so it was time to DIY it instead.  Some power tools, some hand tools, and some red oak made for a lot of fun!

Starting the frame:

NRQAygK.jpg

Frame is complete:

Hrvfn8n.jpg

Adding the sides:

sGXD6vZ.jpg

Getting some help:

hY5ttKw.jpg

Adding a removable top.  Turns out I made it a little bit too big and would have to remove the top and the front door off it's hinges to get this beast in the house!

gnMvz2n.jpg

Added door frames and doors (not pictured)

5w5yikw.jpg

With the power tools put away (or at least on the ground) it was time to start finishing.  We went with a deck over paint in grey to give maximum durability and tried to match the stain on the staircase.  We added a black formica top for durability and looks.  

Painting inside:

cDbLOCM.jpg

Preparing for the Formica:

5AAdCgM.jpg

Banding plywood edges:

MOi3Q5r.jpg

Did some stain testing to find a good match:

ajRU9YG.jpg

Staining and polyurethane it all

uourPjM.jpg

aiovoD1.jpg

Cutting a hole in the top for plumbing!

7fj9eLk.jpg

Stand in place before the top goes on.  I added a steel center brace just so I could sleep a little better at night, don't think it was actually needed.  

gEl29Lj.jpg

So next came adding all the plumbing and equipment.

Had a little help:

jRCPFMg.jpg

Did a modified bean animal overflow:

S7ZNgMw.jpg

Got all the plumbing started on the back:

hiDaGM8.jpg

Started getting some equipment in:

zuSBZUz.jpg

More equipment:

O6E8BCF.jpg

So to the equipment side, I've waffled quite a bit about what I wanted in this tank, however I decided I could add capabilities even if I didn't use them.  To start with this tank, I'll only be running carbon, but I've got canisters plumbed for GFO and Bio-pellets.  Additionally, I'm going to experiment with carbon dioxide scrubbing.  Pair that all with a nice skimmer, Jebao return pump, micro smart ato, and a 4 part doser and we're going to be in buisness!  The light of course will be the Nano-Box Hybrid that I have hanging over my 20L now (turned waaaay down of course).

This build isn't finished, as I said earlier, just started filling with RO/DI and leak testing.  Going forward, I plan on only running carbon and the refugium at first.  I'll get sand and salt in the tank and then take a 5 gallon water change water from the 20L and put it in this tank.  I'll also put my fuge trimmings into the new fuge along with a good healthy scoop of sand.  I'll probably let that cure for about 2-3 weeks seeing if there is any signs of a cycle and then begin the process of moving things over.  I know when I moved between the 10G and the 20L I tried to move everything and thought I wouldn't have any issues, but I made a mess of things and had a mini-crash as a result.  This time I'm going to have a bit more patience and husbandry and we'll see how it goes.  Currently, only the stuff that could survive the neglect associated with having a couple babies is in the 20L so I suspect most of it should move over just fine.  

• Like 16

Wow, you are doing this up right! It's so exciting to finally see a tank on top of the stand, and with plumbing and everything :D

I really like how the black Formica top with the veneer banded edges turned out. Not too expensive and it looks great. And nice job on the plumbing!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TJ_Burton said:

Following! Love the stand. Way to use that space!

Thanks! 

2 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Wow, you are doing this up right! It's so exciting to finally see a tank on top of the stand, and with plumbing and everything :D

I really like how the black Formica top with the veneer banded edges turned out. Not too expensive and it looks great. And nice job on the plumbing!

Yeah, I'm really pleased with how clean it all came out.  

1 hour ago, jedimasterben said:

yeaahhhhhhhh

Just wait, I'm motivated again and ready to take this thing to the next level.  

1 hour ago, Pinner Reef said:

That stand is awesome! Watching

Thanks!

41 minutes ago, Renstar said:

Love the stand.  Following as well.  Looking forward to seeing this progress!

Thanks, I can't wait my self!

35 minutes ago, Arce said:

Following, nice job with the stand, fits well in that spot.

I really wasn't sure if I was going to be able to pull it off, really pleased with how it came out.

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Looking very nice.  Cute pic of the children looking at the tank!

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

It's nice to have frags that can help out!

Can't wait till they are old enough to take responsibility for testing, feeding, refilling ATO, etc!

• Like 3

You killed it man, it looks great in that spot. awesome job. 

Now when do we start taking bets on how long until toys get tossed from the top of the stairs into the tank ? 

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Not to mention loading the dishwasher, taking out the trash and cutting the grass :D

No kidding!

11 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

Now when do we start taking bets on how long until toys get tossed from the top of the stairs into the tank ? 

Thanks.  I've actually been wondering if I need to put up some kind of awkward plexiglass/acrylic shield higher in the stairwell to mitigate this.  That's a lot of water and coral to suddenly be on the carpet.... 

• Like 3
9 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Not to mention loading the dishwasher, taking out the trash and cutting the grass :D

Don't wish for all that to happen too fast.  The next thing you know they are married and gone, with families of their own.  Its good but the stage you are in now will never come again.

• Like 5
10 hours ago, jbb_00 said:

Ah but toys are generally downstairs! There are fluffy dolls, but for the most part, very few toys up there. I had briefly considered moving it up there until I thought of your scenario LOL

42 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Don't wish for all that to happen too fast.  The next thing you know they are married and gone, with families of their own.  Its good but the stage you are in now will never come again.

:tears:

• Like 6
13 hours ago, vlangel said:

Such is life.  Some days I miss having the freedom of not having kids, but then again I couldn't imagine not having kids.  It'll be interesting when they are old enough to go out and drink with, but that can be a LONG time down the road as far as I'm concerned.  

13 hours ago, RIP Sebastian said:

Looks great! Can't wait to see what comes next!

Nick

Thanks!

12 hours ago, Mariaface said:

Currently living vicariously through everyone with a sump. I love this thread already! :wub:

You can pry my sump out of my cold dead hands, I'll never go back to HOBs and such.  Though, with all the room in this stand, I'm not sure I'll ever go back to a stand the same size as the tank either!

9 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Absolutely stunning cabinet. Another thread to follow. 

Thanks!

• Like 3