Coral Vue Hydros

Opinions? What is less maintenance- filter or filterless?

mollylope

I would love to hear what people think is less maintenance for a pico- having a filter or not having one. 

I am starting up another reef soon, this time a pico, and am trying to decide between a Fluval Spec III, with upgraded light, pump, and filter media, or doing a 1-2 gallon tank with a pump and light. 

Either way I am a fan of large weekly water changes, and would not plan to keep fish in either, though in the Spec I would probably get a shrimp. My other thought is that perhaps bare bottom is best if not running a filter? 

Would love to hear opinions! 

I think using a HOB will mean easier maintenance, not necessarily less frequent. If you have good flow in your tank and if you clean your rocks frequently with a turkey baster, the HOB should be the dirtiest place in your tank. Just unplug and down the sink it goes.

8 minutes ago, dandelion said:

I think using a HOB will mean easier maintenance, not necessarily less frequent. If you have good flow in your tank and if you clean your rocks frequently with a turkey baster, the HOB should be the dirtiest place in your tank. Just unplug and down the sink it goes.

That is a good point. HOB filters are so easy to clean. I've always had issues fully cleaning the filter chamber of AIOs. 

My HOB is definitely the dirtiest place in my tank (I hope!) so i think it does a good job- and it only takes me a few minutes to unplug and clean. I guess it depends on what you want to keep :happy: 

Archived