Coral Vue Hydros

Made in Africa - A Shallow Reef V2

4x5

• 3 weeks later...

labouti_001.jpg

labouti_002.jpg

Laboute's Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus laboutei);

I picked up this really small Laboute's Wrasse a week ago, so chilled and cool - let the Cirrhilabrus addiction begin. :lol: Pics are under sunlight only in the morning.

interruptus_lrg.jpg

interruptus_gem_lrg.jpg

Japanese Angelfish (Centropyge interrupta);

While I was at SAReefKeeping I got to take some pictures of a very special (and very expensive) little Japanese Angelfish (Centropyge interrupta) as well as a little Gem Tang - thought I'd share them since they are super cool. :)

t_stag_001.jpg

monti_cap_001.jpg

Corals;

All my coral additions are colouring up nicely, this stag has gone from greeny brown to this, so I'm really excited. In other news, I've ordered what is hopefully a Microclados (it's really hard to get them here) - but I live in hope.

• Like 10

Lovely wrasse, i've been thinking of adding one to my collection for a while now also. The angel and the tang are pretty cool also. Hopefully you get your Microlados, that would be a nice piece to have.

1 hour ago, RollaJase said:

Lovely wrasse, i've been thinking of adding one to my collection for a while now also. The angel and the tang are pretty cool also. Hopefully you get your Microlados, that would be a nice piece to have.

Thanks! Yes it's super cool, wrasses are the best. :) My current fish plan is to only add wrasses moving forward, with a little patience (I suck at that :lol:) I should be able to find some cool species to finish off my tank. Just heard that corals are arriving today, fingers crossed they are what they are meant to be. omgomgomg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, 4x5 said:

Thanks! Yes it's super cool, wrasses are the best. :) My current fish plan is to only add wrasses moving forward, with a little patience (I suck at that :lol:) I should be able to find some cool species to finish off my tank. Just heard that corals are arriving today, fingers crossed they are what they are meant to be. omgomgomg

I think I might add 1 more wrasse and call it a day. I've already got 2 and a tang in the 55G so if I add a leopard or solon I think there may be some territory disputes. I just changed my scape slightly and moves some LR from the sump to the display in an attempt to add some more hiding spots for the fish (and some more real estate for corals haha). It's a win win really, the fish are happier, I get some more corals in there and the freed up space in the sump lets me run some matrix or siporax.

efflo_001.jpg

mr_pac_001.jpg

New Additions;

I picked up a pretty sweet Efflo yesterday as well as a new Mr Pacman Acro, I'm really excited to have found one after I lost my old colony. omgomgomg I'll post pictures of the other new additions as soon as I can take some nice ones. 

• Like 6
10 hours ago, jstj0sh said:

Wow, incredible photos as usual!! Love that little angel too. If you had to guess, about how big is he? 

Thanks, I guess it was about 4 or 5" :) 

• Like 1
On 9/21/2017 at 5:44 PM, Sareefer101 said:

Beautiful. Did you buy or catch the gem tang?

Neither, I took photos of it. 

On 9/21/2017 at 7:38 PM, dirtrider225 said:

Just so you know.. the last full tank shot was back on june 25th....... Just saying! :D

You are right, I should probably do something about that. :lol: in all honesty I didn't take any because it took me forever to find corals so nothing had really changed. I'll try snap a few in the coming days. :) 

9 hours ago, Asureef said:

That Gem..:bling:

Outstanding shots, what lens are you using? 

Thanks. :) Macros and recent fish shots are all with a super old Tamron 90mm. Autofocus would be nice but it does the job.

• Like 1
On 9/24/2017 at 10:13 AM, 4x5 said:

Neither, I took photos of it. 

You are right, I should probably do something about that. :lol: in all honesty I didn't take any because it took me forever to find corals so nothing had really changed. I'll try snap a few in the coming days. :) 

Thanks. :) Macros and recent fish shots are all with a super old Tamron 90mm. Autofocus would be nice but it does the job.

I need to invest in a macro lens for my Sony, but it's so pricey.  :mellow:

Just caught up on your thread--awesome as usual!! Wish I had the floor space in my house for a shallow tank. Just out of curiosity, what are your NO3 and PO4 levels at to maintain your sps colours, if you measure them that is. Look forward to a FTS. :) 

On 9/27/2017 at 3:52 AM, Asureef said:

I need to invest in a macro lens for my Sony, but it's so pricey.  :mellow:

You could probably find a pretty cheap none Sony one on eBay to use for an adapter, mine is Nikon mount so manual focus only but it gets the job done. :)

13 hours ago, Orangutran said:

Just caught up on your thread--awesome as usual!! Wish I had the floor space in my house for a shallow tank. Just out of curiosity, what are your NO3 and PO4 levels at to maintain your sps colours, if you measure them that is. Look forward to a FTS. :) 

Hey, thanks. :) I've not tested No3 in a while, last I checked it wasn't registering yet - honestly I just aim to have something on the test kit when I test. I don't generally test Po4 because I've not had the best of luck with test kits. I can see there are nutrients in the tank though since I have a little algae some diatoms. So I don't stress it too much.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Hey,

I'm really inspired by your tank design, it looks amazing! Do you mind sharing some pictures of how the overflow was built? I'm trying to go for the same thing in my next tank but a slightly larger scale so I'm hoping to learn how the overflow was implemented in your tank. It looks exactly how I would like mine to look.

Is there vinyl on the sides of the overflow to conceal the pipes? Or are all sides of the overflow black acrylic? 

If you could share some details/pics that would be really appreciated! Thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 01/12/2017 at 4:02 AM, Vinoy Thomas said:

Hey,

I'm really inspired by your tank design, it looks amazing! Do you mind sharing some pictures of how the overflow was built? I'm trying to go for the same thing in my next tank but a slightly larger scale so I'm hoping to learn how the overflow was implemented in your tank. It looks exactly how I would like mine to look.

Is there vinyl on the sides of the overflow to conceal the pipes? Or are all sides of the overflow black acrylic? 

If you could share some details/pics that would be really appreciated! Thanks!

Hey, the overflow is essentially a coast to coast with some baffles to create two dry areas on the sides - with a black perspex overflow cover that covers the whole back wall. And then some vinyl on the outside of the tank to hide the details from the sides. I'll have a look for the old design I did for it.

On 02/12/2017 at 11:21 PM, teenyreef said:

I love that blue stag :wub: Any updates on the tank? Hope you're doing well!

Thanks Teeny - Happy New Year! Everything is pretty good on my side of the world thanks, hoping you are great.

I'm preparing an update at the moment. Life got a little crazy last year both at work and personally, I've just got home after being away from the tank for about 6 weeks and everything for the most poart is magically looking better than it did before I left. :)

• Like 2