Coral Vue Hydros

Made in Africa - A Shallow Reef V2

4x5

19 hours ago, pappadumplingz said:

From what I remember from the last tank, this is gonna be killer. Gear and rock looks sweet. Can't wait to see the full tank.

Thanks! Looking forward to this one. :)

17 hours ago, Kijho said:

Long time since I've posted but I will always remember the Made in Africa thread and I'm happy to see you posting and sharing here. I can't wait to see more! 

Hey man, hope you are doing well. :) Thanks for the comment.

16 hours ago, Berlibee said:

Everything is sooooo clean! Can't wait to see the tank. :haha:

Me neither, if it ever arrives life will be magical. :lol: 

• Like 1

March 20, 2017 Update;

It's a long weekend here and we're chilling at home, so I spent some time enjoying the sun and working on my aquascape - which was a lot of fun. 

v2_scape_001.jpg

v2_scape_002a.jpg

v2_scape_003.jpg

Aquascape;

Here are some teasers, the pictures aren't the best - sorry. I've tried to create a few overhangs, I think they look nice once in the water to create nice soft shadows under t5. The top shelf will run close to the water's surface with just enough space for some tabling Acros like Millepora - so we'll see how that goes. Once the tank arrives I can put the finishes touches on and create a couple of smaller separate islands it but it's shaping up to be my favourite yet. 

• Like 17
On 3/17/2017 at 10:14 AM, Sareefer101 said:

Hi 4x5

Im also from south africa I really admire your work on msr

Hey, thanks. MSR is super quiet at the moment.

On 3/19/2017 at 7:06 AM, clayjess said:

Can't wait for more updates , this is going to be a amazing tank if it's anything like you last build ??

Thanks, hopefully it doesn't disappoint. :lol:

2 hours ago, Berlibee said:

Very elegant ! :lol:

I was going for majestic, but thanks. :lol:

• Like 1
9 hours ago, samnaz said:

That's some interesting rockscaping! What adhesive did you use?

Thanks, zip ties and an epoxy from South Africa called Pratley Putty.

12 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Thats a fantastic scape,would look awesome covered in some sticks or Zoa's. 

Thanks. :) It should be a good starting point. I'd love some nice zoas to go along with Acros but they aren't as easy to find here. Then again, maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. :lol:

• Like 3
1 hour ago, nuvo25lagoon said:

Your first tank was the inspiration for my current build. Cant wait to see more!

Thanks, that's very kind. I'm looking forward to sharing some more. :)

On 3/20/2017 at 8:14 AM, 4x5 said:

March 20, 2017 Update;

It's a long weekend here and we're chilling at home, so I spent some time enjoying the sun and working on my aquascape - which was a lot of fun. 

v2_scape_001.jpg

v2_scape_002a.jpg

v2_scape_003.jpg

Aquascape;

Here are some teasers, the pictures aren't the best - sorry. I've tried to create a few overhangs, I think they look nice once in the water to create nice soft shadows under t5. The top shelf will run close to the water's surface with just enough space for some tabling Acros like Millepora - so we'll see how that goes. Once the tank arrives I can put the finishes touches on and create a couple of smaller separate islands it but it's shaping up to be my favourite yet. 

Looking good Shaun :happy:

3 hours ago, Rehype said:

Looking good Shaun :happy:

Thanks Eugene. Looking forward to getting the tank now and getting into the fun part of putting it all together. :scarry: 

• Like 2

Yay! I really like that rock scape! I'll have to remember zip ties for future builds. I ended up throwing away rocks I had epoxy'd together because when I swapped tanks, they were unusable the way they were. I was too lazy to take them outside and break them apart with tools... zip ties would have been easy to undo! 

16 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Yay! I really like that rock scape! I'll have to remember zip ties for future builds. I ended up throwing away rocks I had epoxy'd together because when I swapped tanks, they were unusable the way they were. I was too lazy to take them outside and break them apart with tools... zip ties would have been easy to undo! 

Thanks! It's getting there. :) The zip ties work great depending on the rocks. Mine have a lot of holes so it was pretty easy to tie together and solid even before the epoxy. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

April 18, 2017 Update;

A quick update, I'm still waiting on the tank - unfortunately there was a bit of an incident and a pane of glass broke at the LFS before he was able to start the build so he is waiting on a new one to be delivered, getting this build completed has proven to be quite a struggle but it will be worth it in the end. All my livestock is now in holding, so hopefully the tank arrives soon. The delay has however given me some time to touch up the stand, clean the sump and equipment and generally prepare a bit more.

I've also made the final purchases (for now :lol:) for equipment for the tank. I ordered a ATI 8x54W, a new more powerful Eheim return and I'll be testing out a couple of Tunze pumps for added flow as I've always wanted to try them.

Hopefully my next update includes pictures of a tank, because frankly this thread is useless without them.  :D

• Like 8

Following. I've been a member on this board for quite some time. There are a few names and tanks that have stuck out over time and your first shallow tank inspired both of my shallow builds. I'm still working toward the minimalist simplicity you made appear effortless. Apparently simple is not my natural state. Haha