Innovative Marine Aquariums

RIP Sebastian

No. It sounds like you really need to do some research.

7 minutes ago, Trevor Flahardy said:

I have 2 clownfish and 1 cleaner shrimp in a 5 gallon tank. I have always wanted, ever since I was a little boy, to get a bubble tipped anemone. My brother has a 20 gallon tank and I was thinking that if I were to get one, and it was to get too big for my tank, my brother would take it and put it in his tank. Would that work? And would my clownfish start to get defensive with it? And is my tank light capable of having an anemone?

What I Have:

-Fluval Spec V Aquarium Saltwater Kit

-Fluval SEA PS2 MINI Protein Skimmer(Getting it on Monday)

Thanks so much,

Trevor =) 

• Like 3
10 hours ago, RIP Sebastian said:

No. It sounds like you really need to do some research.

I have done alot of research so far and I wanted to get some feedback on my ideas and questions. Could you please explain more?

RIP Sebastian
12 minutes ago, Trevor Flahardy said:

I have done alot of research so far and I wanted to get some feedback on my ideas and questions. Could you please explain more?

It's not wise to keep an anemone in a five gallon tank, especially if you're a beginner. Has your tank been set up and stable for more than six months? Is your tank "anemone proof"? Are you prepared for it to move and harm/kill other corals?

These are really simple questions most people, even beginners, know the answers to.  That's why I'm saying you need to do some research. I'm not saying you're ignorant, just that you could know more. Research is the fundamental of this hobby. It's important that you research every little thing. I'm not trying to be mean, just realistic- I'm trying to help you ensure long-term success in this hobby. If you have more questions, feel free to PM me.

Nick

• Like 5
9 minutes ago, RIP Sebastian said:

It's not wise to keep an anemone in a five gallon tank, especially if you're a beginner. Has your tank been set up and stable for more than six months? Is your tank "anemone proof"? Are you prepared for it to move and harm/kill other corals?

These are really simple questions most people, even beginners, know the answers to.  That's why I'm saying you need to do some research. I'm not saying you're ignorant, just that you could know more. Research is the fundamental of this hobby. It's important that you research every little thing. I'm not trying to be mean, just realistic- I'm trying to help you ensure long-term success in this hobby. If you have more questions, feel free to PM me.

Nick

My tank has been up for more than 6 months, and I could always move the corals. I am around my tank all the time. What do you mean my "anemone proof"? I am not used o this type of stuff

RIP Sebastian
1 minute ago, Trevor Flahardy said:

My tank has been up for more than 6 months, and I could always move the corals. I am around my tank all the time. What do you mean my "anemone proof"? I am not used o this type of stuff

The fact that you don't know what "anemone proof" means worries me. Are all intake/outtakes covered? Do all powerheads have a foam cover on them? Stuff like that. I suggest that you watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXIh24pfsps

and read through this website:

http://www.karensroseanemones.net/

Okay, I knew that all of the power heads and stuff had to be covered, I just didn't know what it was called. Thanks for the website and video. Helped alot.

So let me get this straight, it inst smart to get an anemone because it could split and get too big. I would be putting my tank at risk if I were to get one because if it were to dye, my whole tank could die. Okay, thanks so much for the help. I just needed some help deciding what to do on this situation. 

Thanks,

Trevor=)

RIP Sebastian
1 minute ago, Trevor Flahardy said:

Okay, I knew that all of the power heads and stuff had to be covered, I just didn't know what it was called. Thanks for the website and video. Helped alot.

So let me get this straight, it inst smart to get an anemone because it could split and get too big. I would be putting my tank at risk if I were to get one because if it were to dye, my whole tank could die. Okay, thanks so much for the help. I just needed some help deciding what to do on this situation. 

Thanks,

Trevor=)

Anytime. Glad I could help. :)

2 clownfish or even one  shouldnt be housed in a 5 gallon.  10 gallon at the absolute minimum and thats for juveniles. Adults I wouldnt keep in anything smaller than 20.

• Like 3
Militant Jurist

A rock flower nem could work. I kept on for over a year in my 5g, before the upgrade to the 29g. The key was keeping the flow low until it attached itself to the rock. I didn't use foam covers on powerboats, because it moved less than an inch after it attached itself.

3 hours ago, lkoechle said:

2 clownfish or even one  shouldnt be housed in a 5 gallon.  10 gallon at the absolute minimum and thats for juveniles. Adults I wouldnt keep in anything smaller than 20.

So you are saying that I can't have clownfish?

1 hour ago, Trevor Flahardy said:

So you are saying that I can't have clownfish?

Not in a 5 gallon.  There are very few fish you can have in a 5 gallon.  Those are from the goby and blenny families.  If you search for 5 gallon picos, you can get an idea of those fish.  But clowns are too big and too messy for a pico.

• Like 5

I have 2 clowns in a 15g, I wouldn't suggest it in a 5g. They are pigs and produce a lot of waste.

A watchman goby

A tailspot blenny

Clown gobies

Shrimp

Crabs

These are all 5g choices.

Anemones are unpredictable. They can move and sting anything, get caught in equipment which can cause damage/death to it or shred it leading to the demise of the tank.

You can protect intakes, powerheads but that also requires washing and or replacing the protection often or it becomes a nutrient trap.

What kind of light do you have because thats another important factor.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

If you want one get a rock anenome. Clowns won't host in it but it once it's happy it won't move . I have your same tank. It hasn't moved in 2 years 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mean to be a dick... but you sound like you are really into the hobby.  And that's good... that's step one of success.

I would look at all my equipment, and try to figure what it would really take to get up to a 10 gallon tank, or even better, something like an Innovation Marine 14, which is an all in one tank.

Save you pennies and get a bigger tank first.  By moving all your sand and rock over at one time, you probably won't even have a cycle.

• Like 1

I have had a clown (ocellaris) in my 5.5 AGA tank as my sole fish for several years and he is just fine.  I make sure to maintain the clean up crew and watch not to over feed him though he eats like a horse always wants more.  Regular water changes help so much and I try to siphon the sand every couple of months.  

Clowns do get big and I agree two is probably not a good idea.  

Mine hosts in my GSP so if you want that symbiotic thing, there are other options than the anemone.  I even had a tomato clown years ago that hosted in a feather duster.  

I do completely agree about the above posts in terms of anenomes being totally unpredictable.  They will end up where you least expect (and probably dont want) them.  

An Anemone in a 5 gallon tank is a very bad idea.  It will likely get sucked into power-heads and/intakes since there is barely enough space in there and the parameters of that small of a tank without a large sump is just not stable enough for an Anemone in my opinion.  Not to mention the light you have is likely not bright enough for a Bubble Tip anyway.

On 2/26/2017 at 9:28 AM, Militant Jurist said:

A rock flower nem could work. I kept on for over a year in my 5g, before the upgrade to the 29g. The key was keeping the flow low until it attached itself to the rock. I didn't use foam covers on powerboats, because it moved less than an inch after it attached itself.

Damn, where'd you find a powerboat that fit ina 5 gallon? ;) 

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
Militant Jurist
On 5/25/2017 at 4:07 PM, 1891Bro said:

Damn, where'd you find a powerboat that fit ina 5 gallon? ;) 

Darn autocorrect.

Edited by Militant Jurist
  • Like 2
13 minutes ago, Militant Jurist said:

Darn autocorrect.

Autocorrect is my nemesis.  It's like a game to see what embarrassing, ridiculous thing I'll accidentally text next! :lol:

• Like 2
  • Guest changed the title to .