Cultivated Reef

Emerald Crabs

Canadianeh

I got one emerald crab in my 40 gallons tank and I witnessed him eating hair algae and bubble algae. I am thinking awesome! 

I am thinking to get one more emerald crab. Is this too many for my tank?

Also plan to add 2 blood shrimps in the near future, will they harm each other?

Two should be fine. Crabs may try to take out the shrimp once they grow, but I've never had that happen. Crabs are opportunistic, so don't put anything past them. May want to think about skunk cleaners instead of blood shrimp. Skunks are out and about all the time. Bloods hide until feeding time, or lights out.

• 2 weeks later...

just want to give an update. I decided to only keep one emerald crab as this bad boy completely annihilated all my hair algae and bubble algae by himself. My tank is completely free of HA and BA. What a champ! No need extra emerald crab.

Nice! Every time I've introduced more than one emerald crab the tank becomes the Thunderdome in there. 2 crab enter 1 crab leaves!

1 hour ago, Canadianeh said:

just want to give an update. I decided to only keep one emerald crab as this bad boy completely annihilated all my hair algae and bubble algae by himself. My tank is completely free of HA and BA. What a champ! No need extra emerald crab.

Nice emerald crab you got there

2 hours ago, Canadianeh said:

Just make sure he has something to eat. If not, he will find something that you may not be happy about.

8 hours ago, RCReef said:

Just make sure he has something to eat. If not, he will find something that you may not be happy about.

I tend to overfeed my fish just a tad tiny bit more. I think the crab has food enough food source.  

Archived