Coral Vue Hydros

Rock mounted to back wall

SaltyBuddha

New to SW tanks and I've been thinking of how to arrange my aquarium. I'm making one with some odd dimensions and I though about mounting a few shelf pieces to the back wall.

I would weld an acrylic shelf first and then attach the dry rock shelf to it. The back acrylic plate is a very slightly transparent blue. Anyone think this would look good or have any pictures of this? Think it would look weird to have an almost floating rock?

Screenshot_2017-02-24-11-17-52.thumb.png.d6e28ae13d10b92df2bb5db628193245.png

I should have all my equipment next week but I'm just bouncing this idea around until I can get the pieces to see for myself.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
SquishyFishy

I tried to make a stilted type of acrylic shelf, but it ended up too short so I pitched it....but I like the idea of having stuff up higher in the tank so I've been thinking on how to engineer it again.

For instance using fishing line to hang the rock from the intake comb over my RSM which I might try.  Then glue GSP to it to drape down the back wall.  Don't think you'd see the line if its the right color and they make a smoke colored line which should work well.  As soon as the tank has returned to normal (been having trouble with a Dino war) I will be able to implement it and will be watching to see what you come up with.

SaltyBuddha

I've actually thought on this a bit and I found a pretty easy solution. You can buy rare earth magnets and cost them in plastidip. Drill a hope in the rock to mount the magnets. It would be like a frag rack. Then you could easily move it around and clean around it. I'll probably go with this if I go this route

I know of people who have used acrylic rods to create tall and unique rock structures that would otherwise be difficult. 

Use masonry bit to drill holes through rock, then rods to secure and stabilize the structure. 

Have seen some really cool stuff done with that. 

SaltyBuddha
1 minute ago, Weetabix7 said:

I know of people who have used acrylic rods to create tall and unique rock structures that would otherwise be difficult. 

Use masonry bit to drill holes through rock, then rods to secure and stabilize the structure. 

Have seen some really cool stuff done with that. 

That's how I built the tower in my scape. Was really fun and worked out great. I would actually suggest regular drill bits instead. I found the concrete or masonry drill bits were more likely to get caught and split or break the rock. 

I did have the rocks soaked in water curing for 3 weeks so they were softer and it made it much easier.

5 minutes ago, SaltyBuddha said:

That's how I built the tower in my scape. Was really fun and worked out great. I would actually suggest regular drill bits instead. I found the concrete or masonry drill bits were more likely to get caught and split or break the rock. 

I did have the rocks soaked in water curing for 3 weeks so they were softer and it made it much easier.

Hmm, good to know, thanks. 

I love learning and getting new ideas on how to do stuff like this!!

Archived