ReefCleaners.org

New to the hobby!

Jkups

Hi! My name is John and I'm new to reef keeping and nano-reef!

I've kept freshwater tanks for around 15 years now and recently decided it's time to try something new. I've been glued to tank journals here for a few months now, and have been researching the hobby as much as I can (I'm pretty prone to analysis-paralysis).

Last weekend, I decided to pull the trigger on a IM Nuvo Fusion 25 Lagoon, along with most of the equipment and accessories I'll need (totally splurged with the President's Day sales). Planning on starting a mixed reef. So far I've gotten:

AI Hydra TwentySix with hanging kit

Tunze Osmolator Nano 3152 ATO

Sicce 1.5 return pump

Koralia Nano Powerhead (565 GPH) - (looking to upgrade to Ecotech MP10 eventually)

100W Neo-Therm Heater

2 IM CustomCaddy 2.0 Media Baskets

BRS DIY Screen top kit

BRS 6 stage RODI - 75GPD

20 lb Caribsea Arag-Alive Special Grade sand

30 lb dry rock from Reef Cleaners

160g bucket of Instant Ocean Reef Crystals

Planning on adding equipment/upgrading as needed as I progress in the hobby. Will be keeping more advanced filtration like skimmers and reactors as well as things like auto-dosing in mind for later (trying to start out with as simple a setup as practical).

For the mean time, I still need to look into filter media (planning on floss and carbon), bacterial additives (to boost the cycle), along with other miscellaneous equipment/accessories. If anyone has any recommendations for these or for anything else that I haven't mentioned, please let me know! I'd also greatly appreciate any advice, as well as articles anyone may have.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself. I should be able to start cycling the new tank in the next week or so. I'd like to start my own tank journal for it if there's enough interest. Looking forward to meeting and getting to know other fellow hobbyists!

Hi John! And :welcome:

U are off to a great start!  1st off by Doing a chit ton of research.  Do as much more as u can!

2nd,  Off to a great start by joining NR!  A Lot of great People with a lot of skills and knowledge!

Very helpful and, at least to my experience here, Nobody Flames!

I would suggest looking thru the Members  Aquariums.  U can find about all the things

That have and have not worked for their Aquariums.  U can also get some really good ideas for ur Aquascaping and types of

Rock(s).

Once again, Welcome :)

This hobby is a slow and steady hobby with a lot of rewards :)

Welcome!

Sounds like a good start. I think keeping things simple is the best way to go.

As for filter media, filter floss is great just remember to change it 1-2 times a week.

A good carbon is very helpful, rinsing it weekly and changing it every 3 weeks is a good habit.

Later when or if you need it you can use things like phosguard, phosban, purigen.

On 2/24/2017 at 8:46 PM, Clown79 said:

As for filter media, filter floss is great just remember to change it 1-2 times a week.

I quickly learned that already with my tank. When I first got the huge roll of floss, I assured myself it would last forever...boy was I wrong. 

Welcome! For bacteria suggestions I usually used Microbacter7 but used Fritz Zyme 9 this time around.  I highly reccommend Fritz Zyme 9.

Thanks everyone! Got just about all my equipment over the course of the weekend, should be setting it up over the next week! Dry rock came in yesterday, I'll try to hang my lights and set up my RODI tonight after work. I should be able to get it running by this weekend!

Last night I moved my planted tank into the kitchen to make room for this new tank. Was playing around with some rockscapes last night for a couple hours, I could post some pictures of the setup later!

On 2/28/2017 at 9:59 AM, Jkups said:

Last night I moved my planted tank into the kitchen to make room for this new tank. Was playing around with some rockscapes last night for a couple hours, I could post some pictures of the setup later!

A most excellent plan. ;)

a481D8I.jpgX7yoU9H.jpg

Here are a few quick pictures of my hardscape so far. Does it look like too much rock? Tried seeing what I could do without breaking the rock up at all.

I got my lights mounted the other day as well. They're so much cooler than any of the LEDs I've used for growing plants in freshwater setups!

Still need to set up my RODI. Had trouble yesterday trying to set it up inline with the sink in my bathroom. Pipes were pretty old and corroded. I'll see if I have better luck under the sink in the kitchen today (fittings seem to have been recently replaced, so should be no problem).

Christopher Marks

I like the shape of the aquascape, but it does look like it's perhaps too much rock, particularly on the right side. You won't have much overhead room for coral to grow. 

I like ur scape.  Seems like u have plenty of room for corals.  Both on the rock and on the bottom.

I do not remember if u mentioned having some flow for behind ur rock scape, U will want one :)

7 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

I like the shape of the aquascape, but it does look like it's perhaps too much rock, particularly on the right side. You won't have much overhead room for coral to grow. 

That's kinda what I was thinking too! The tank has a great amount of depth, but is super shallow. I wasn't sure how usable the space near the top of the rocks would be, the peak of the tallest rock is around an inch or two under where the waterline would be. I'm also thinking about shifting the whole scape over an inch to the left or so, for more space near the glass on the right side.

10 minutes ago, Astinus said:

I like ur scape.  Seems like u have plenty of room for corals.  Both on the rock and on the bottom.

I do not remember if u mentioned having some flow for behind ur rock scape, U will want one :)

Another thing I had in mind is flow, I guess I'll have to play around with my pumps once I fill up. I think towards the middle of the tank, there could be a lack of flow due to the U shape (and particularly in the cavey sections). Not sure how big of a deal this would be (outside of lack of flow for certain corals and the settling of detritus).

I was also wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a cheap (maybe DIY) top off reservoir. I'd like it to fit in my stand (I'd have to measure the exact dimensions of the cabinet interior, but around 10"x18"x14"), and have around 5 gallons in capacity.

Christopher Marks

The reservoir container could almost be anything, ideally a good safe container or jug. You can find ATO pumps and switches to use with it. 

hedgeclipper2
5 hours ago, Jkups said:

I was also wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a cheap (maybe DIY) top off reservoir. I'd like it to fit in my stand (I'd have to measure the exact dimensions of the cabinet interior, but around 10"x18"x14"), and have around 5 gallons in capacity.

I use a thing I got at Walmart of all places.  Super cheap.  It was like $8.  Works GREAT.  I think its 3 gallons.  Let me see if I can find it online.

EDIT: can't find it online, so here is a picture of it.  I think it was like $7.98.  It BPA free and all that jazz.  I like that it completely seals, and I just drilled two holes big enough for the lines in the lid.  Excuse the mess of wires back there, still haven't gotten that mess tamed yet.

IMG_1177.jpg

Christopher Marks

A perfect example, thanks @hedgeclipper2! If you want to get really nitty gritty and find something to maximize your space, places like https://www.containerstore.com/ have hundreds of options. Food storage containers at a restaurant supply store would be another great place to look, https://www.katom.com/cat/storage-containers-food-bar-crocks.html

21 hours ago, hedgeclipper2 said:

I use a thing I got at Walmart of all places.  Super cheap.  It was like $8.  Works GREAT.  I think its 3 gallons.  Let me see if I can find it online.

EDIT: can't find it online, so here is a picture of it.  I think it was like $7.98.  It BPA free and all that jazz.  I like that it completely seals, and I just drilled two holes big enough for the lines in the lid.  Excuse the mess of wires back there, still haven't gotten that mess tamed yet.

IMG_1177.jpg

20 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

A perfect example, thanks @hedgeclipper2! If you want to get really nitty gritty and find something to maximize your space, places like https://www.containerstore.com/ have hundreds of options. Food storage containers at a restaurant supply store would be another great place to look, https://www.katom.com/cat/storage-containers-food-bar-crocks.html

Thanks! I'll be on the lookout for something similar, a bucket with a lid will make do for now.

I got my RODI running from a hose outside, pretty excited to fill and set up all my equipment! I also changed my scape a bit, pretty much just took out the rock perched in the middle making the archway. Figured most of it is too close to the water line to be useful for placing corals. I'll post a build thread with updated pictures a little later!

gone_PHiSHin

I'll be following along too, the IM 25 Lagoon is my current favorite tank.  I'm pretty sure I'll be purchasing one after I move 

looks like you've got a great start on equipment.  any plans for your livestock down the road?

welcome to the reef keeping obsession, I mean, hobby! B)

Archived