ReefCleaners.org

Inverts in a NUVO 10

SURVEYMAN46123

SURVEYMAN46123

Currently cycling my NUVO 10 nano and I don't want to overstock on snails and hermits. Its such a small tank I don't think I need that much. I'm thinking maybe a single Blue Legged Hermit and eliminating the Red Legged from my overall list. Do you think that would be too much when the tank is fully established? What about the future addition of a Porcelain Crab?

1 Trochus Snail
2 Nassarius Snails
2 Cerith Snails
2 Astrea Snails
1 Blue Legged Hermit

My blue legged hermit has done a great job, but he's also a murdering sneak. He killed a couple of my small ceriths before settling on a large cerith's shell, but he hasn't moved since. I'd either get a couple of extras, or leave spare shells around.

I'd also leave out the astrea snails (unless you just like looking for them?) and let 1-2 banded trochus snails do the job. They're great, and can right themselves easily :) Plus they'll 'fight' whoever tries to climb on them. The hermit crab tried ones and was flung off the shell..

SURVEYMAN46123

Gotcha!   Sorry I'm a bit overwhelmed on this end of the hobby and trying to tie things down for the future.

Updated list:

1 Trochus Snail

1 Blue Legged Hermit
2 Nassarius Snails
4 Cerith Snails

Throw in a couple empty shells too.

Hooray!!

And I don't know much about porcelain crabs, but I'd certainly wait until the tank matures (and is so full of fish/corals that you can warrant feeding plenty for it to find). In addition to target feeding, they'll filter planktonic food out of the water column.

I finally lost a Trochus snail yesterday, I think my one big hermit crab may have had something to do with it cause I've seen him try to get to a snail before. I used to feed a fair amount, but noticed my nitrates go up so I reduced feeding and I think this is a result of this or just that he's gotten so big that he just needs more.. I may consider removing the large hermit, he's grown so much since I got him I fear he's getting to the stage of becoming a bully.

I have a Fluval 13.5 (12 gallon) and here's my CUC.

3 Spiny Astrea (great for hair algae)

3 Nassarius

2 Trochus

1 Blue Legged Hermit (tiny)

1 Scarlett Hermit (small)

3 Red Tip Hermit (2 med/1 Large)

1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

1 Pistol Shrimp

1 Porcelain/Anenome Crab

I really wanted a porcelain crab, he's cool with its little fans that pop out to catch food.. but he just sits there all day.. The best thing I've added to my tank was the pistol shrimp/yellow watchman goby...

Just to throw in some possible help with selecting a CUC.  I use Reefcleaners.org 

Here is a Link to a "Custom CUC"  https://www.reefcleaners.org/index.php/custom-clean-up-crew

John is very helpful and quick.  I have never had a problem using them.

They may not have some of the crew u are wanting to add, but, ur LFS should be able to help u get

some of the items not listed on the site.

Just wanting to try and help ya B)

I have a 10g.

I have 4 trochus, 2 spiny star astrea, 2 nassarius

5 hermits.

They are your clean up crew so any left over food or algae is cleaned up by them.

Get extra shells for hermits and it prevents them killing ceriths. I've never seen them go after trochus.

Archived