Innovative Marine Aquariums

Considering an upgrade from nano cube 12 to Red Sea MAX E170

Jkuhl

So, I got back into the hobby this past Christmas with a 12 gallon jbj led nano cube. I previously have owned both a 20 long and 55 gallon fowlr setup. Im still green to reefing but have been super into this little cube. So far it's been a great little tank but boy is it little. Working inside such a small space has proven difficult. The rear chambers are especially narrow and it's a super tight fit trying to get my hands in there.

I like the idea of self contained units and am particularly interested in the Red Sea MAX E170. At 45 gallons it's still a relatively small display and eliminates several desirable species of fish just due to it's size. I've had a hard time finding much info from owners on these tanks and was hoping some owners, or members experienced in these set ups, could offer their opinions? Also, if there are significantly better options in this pricing tier I'd love to hear about those as well.

My current tank hosts a tank raised ocellaris, standard firefish, 5 blue legged hermits, 3 cerith snails (actually more as they've been laying eggs and I see a few babies on the rocks and glass), an emerald crab, a peppermint shrimp, a pistol shrimp and a hitchhiker coral crab. For corals I have, a purple tipped green frogspawn, a green tipped frogspawn, several zoos, a Florida ric, a Kenya tree, a small colony of rhodactis, two hitchhiker discoma, and a newly acquired 5 headed Aussie lord acan. I'll be picking up another acan frag tomorrow. I'm quickly running out of space and still want to add some metallic gsp and pom pom xenia. The lack of real estate is pushing me towards the larger display of the e170.

For gadgetry, I have a smart micro ato, a jebao powerhead, a reef keeper lite controller running a ph and heat probe, a 50w neotherm heater, rodi unit, swing arm hydrometer and a refractometer, salifert low range phosphate test, mag, alk and calcium kits and the basic api kit, as well as all of the stock jbj stuff. Aside from the jbj stock equipment I feel like I have some gear that can translate to a new, bigger system. This jebao head is tiny but it can really move some water, the controller and ato should presumably transfer and of course all the test kits and the like.

So with all of that in mind, what do you all think of my thought of possibly up sizing to the e170? Any pointers on how to best transfer my current stock? I'll obviously need more sand and rock, should I let any potential new tank cycle with new rock and sand and then transfer my current tank's contents, or is there a more ,straightforward way? 

Looking forward to any potential feedback. Thanks for checking out my post! I love this site!!!

I also struggled with info about this tank as well.  I bought mine as a complete running system and I have had mine running for about 3 weeks now. Previous owners bought new and set it up, cycled and stocked it, and after 3 months decided the hobby was not for them.

The quality of the tank is superb, although I did not like the stand.  The stock stand is Tall, and I don't like to have to get on a step stool to reach the sand bed of my tank. I have since replaced the stand and am now filling with coral?

I love the option of adding a Sump if I so choose to. They come pre drilled and plugged, giving that option. The stock skimmer is a beast, and the stock return pump works well, and is quiet. 

The AI Hydra 26 is an amazing light. Easy to controll and will grow anything, anywhere in the tank.  

Reefing for more than 20 years, I would highly recommend this tank.  Shane 

4 minutes ago, shaneandjohn said:

I also struggled with info about this tank as well.  I bought mine as a complete running system and I have had mine running for about 3 weeks now. Previous owners bought new and set it up, cycled and stocked it, and after 3 months decided the hobby was not for them.

The quality of the tank is superb, although I did not like the stand.  The stock stand is Tall, and I don't like to have to get on a step stool to reach the sand bed of my tank. I have since replaced the stand and am now filling with coral?

I love the option of adding a Sump if I so choose to. They come pre drilled and plugged, giving that option. The stock skimmer is a beast, and the stock return pump works well, and is quiet. 

The AI Hydra 26 is an amazing light. Easy to controll and will grow anything, anywhere in the tank.  

Reefing for more than 20 years, I would highly recommend this tank.  Shane 

Just out of curiosity what could one expect to pay for a lightly used model? Thanks for the feedback.

Well sir, I got a deal that I could not pass up.  Mine was 3 months old, 35lbs of live rock, corals and fish. I paid $800 for mine ?

New it is 1500 - tank ,stand, light, skimmer, and return pump. 

8 minutes ago, shaneandjohn said:

Well sir, I got a deal that I could not pass up.  Mine was 3 months old, 35lbs of live rock, corals and fish. I paid $800 for mine ?

New it is 1500 - tank ,stand, light, skimmer, and return pump. 

Well done!

Archived