ReefCleaners.org

TJ's Bust'em Up Custom Reef - Big News!

TJ_Burton

1 hour ago, Rory282 said:

Finally, you are doing something with that awesome sump. Good to see you back Thomas!

Thanks a ton! Good to be back 🙂

been soooooo long overdue.

Going to try a Monti dominant tank. Maybe have some birds nest and cats paw too. We shall see.

Also going to go bare bottom which I've never previously done for aesthetic reasons. Want finally give it a go!

More soon!

• Like 1
kristonenicolas
On 1/10/2019 at 6:44 AM, TJ_Burton said:

Finessing the pipes into place takes a lot of patience... will be worth the frustration in the end I'm sure lol.

20190110_103610.jpg

So I'm setting my Xaqua and thought about hard plumbing it with a union but there isn't any space for one cause the piping is too close to the tank. Did you bend the PVC out a little to do this? 

• Like 1
On 1/14/2019 at 3:25 PM, kristonenicolas said:

So I'm setting my Xaqua and thought about hard plumbing it with a union but there isn't any space for one cause the piping is too close to the tank. Did you bend the PVC out a little to do this? 

That is precisely what I did! Took a few tries actually... hahaha. Not an easy bend to make over a short distance. Pipe wants to kink quite easily, amd it's not really long enough to fill with sand etc.

20 hours ago, Scorched said:

Glad to see some more bent colored PVC around here.  

You're my inspiration! Your build is what inspired me in the first place 🙂

finally finished the main drain and return. Almost completely glued at this stage as well.

Next up is the Aux drain line and its going to be one wacky series of bends... not sure if I can pull it off but I will try! 😄

20190117_140009.jpg

• Like 4
Christopher Marks

Nice progress @TJ_Burton, I admire your patience in getting all the details right, it really pays off. Those Xaqua overflow and return fittings are a really slick solution, very trim. Who makes the check valve on the  orange return line?

26 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Nice progress @TJ_Burton, I admire your patience in getting all the details right, it really pays off. Those Xaqua overflow and return fittings are a really slick solution, very trim. Who makes the check valve on the  orange return line?

Thanks! 🙂 it's been a month long (maybe longer) headache... err... I mean process so far. Hahaha.

The check valve came from BRS. Not 100% on the manufacturer. Valves are Spears and the Tees and 90s are Ipex.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

I absolutely love the new tank and setup. That plumbing is so nice. What light fixture is that ? 

Thanks for the kind words 🙂

It's an old Aquaticlife 4 bulb T5HO fixture with a built in timer and LED moonlights. I dismantled it last year and gave it a slick paint job!

• Like 1

Alright so I've officially finished with all the bending and gluing of PVC pipe!

I still have to teflon tape the threaded barb that goes to the XAqua return, and figure out what return pump and fittings I want to use in the sump, but that is easy compared to all of that pipe bending I managed to pull off.

I'm going to do an update video and give everyone a good look at all the bends and were they go. Its hilariously wonky looking when the pipes are removed from the system! Gives you an appreciation for the complicated mess it actually was to create it hahaha.

Going to try to do that asap so I can get the system in place and fill with RODI for a leak test!

Soooooo close!

• Like 4

You've probably had good success with Teflon taping threaded fittings but I highly recommend trying Teflon PASTE.  Its a thick white goo and stays a bit pliable forever.  A little messy but I've never had the joints leak on me since switching. 

• Wow 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Scorched said:

You've probably had good success with Teflon taping threaded fittings but I highly recommend trying Teflon PASTE.  Its a thick white goo and stays a bit pliable forever.  A little messy but I've never had the joints leak on me since switching. 

I've used high quality tape for years and years successfully, but I'm open to new things if they work better! Does it come in orange or purple? 😛

6 minutes ago, TJ_Burton said:

Does it come in orange or purple? 😛

White, Grey, Blue, and Black.  (Which is 3 more colors than necessary)  I've used the white on black bulkheads and pipes.  Just clean up the paste that squeezes out the back and you don't even notice. 

• Like 2

Welllllll...

I have yet to do my wet test, but mostly because I got an Axolotl and spent some time getting it all set up and shooting a vid. P.s I am taking ideas for names! Haha.

So that aside I contacted Pro Clear Aquatics to inquire about some more custom colored acrylic for this reef setup. Looking at a Skimmer, ATO Reservoir, and an idea of my own invention that I am excited about!

Considering a chaeto reactor,  but it would have to be a small external model I could mount horizontally if I plan to fit it in the cabinet. I think that means either Pax Bellum or Pacific Sun. That or I try to DIY something... buuuut hoping to get a solid unit. Just pricey!!!

I'll be posting some pics of the pipes completed before I get the tank wet. Probably today. No promises lol.

Back soon!

• Like 2