ReefCleaners.org

TJ's Bust'em Up Custom Reef - Big News!

TJ_Burton

2 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Great video update, the new tank sounds nice! I may have missed it in the video, are you planning to change the aquascape concept during the upgrade?

Thanks! I haven't decided if I'm doing a whole new scape or just porting that scape over. I am leaning towards a new scape using either more Liferock or maybe TLF Stax. Lots of time to decide though :)

• Like 1

Woot finally got the new skimmer out of the box! Working on an unboxing and review vid, so that typically slows me down a bit haha.

Slick little skimmer for sure. Can't wait to plug it in and see how it performs!

IMG_20170814_193902_162.thumb.jpg.4b94edff6bf5749098740c9c41c30b94.jpg

• Like 3

Started moving around and gluing down stuff. Also picked up a few new frags including Red Roses monti, Blue digi (not yet blue, took a chance), and Ponape birdsnest. Have even more coming end of the month if all goes well :)

20170816_104554.thumb.jpg.91b23cc9461645a0a26d7ce0495eaf84.jpg

• Like 4
  • 4 weeks later...

Haven't posted in what feels like forever! Baby and toddler combo is quite the handful. Awesome though.

Tank is doing ok. Let nutrients slip a bit which has lead to some unwanted algae. Lost one head from the frogspawn for some reason as well.

Other than that things are doing well!

Quick FTS during water change, and a pic of my UC beside an Aussie acro frag that is starting to get some pink tips! Really hoping for a shortcake type acro out of this one.

20170913_084237.thumb.jpg.125053be8a1ef7a9243f471407d04412.jpg

Fotor_150530778353431.thumb.jpg.a81e0bfd9fe98ae38a241dc47765975a.jpg

• Like 4
18 minutes ago, Rory282 said:

Tank is still looking sweet Thomas. How's the skimmer doing? Do you consider it an upgrade over the k2-50?

Has a long way to go still, but definitely coming along! :)

The K2-50 did a great job, but ultimately I wanted to try something else. I threw a JNS CO-1 on the system while I waited for the new impeller/motor from Coralvue. In the meantime, I picked up a SR Aquaristic DC cone skimmer. It is a really small DC skimmer and looks to built really well. I have had no time to do the swap yet, but I am going to do a vid review of the skimmer and get it running by the end of the week if all goes as planned.

• Like 1

Looks like the aquaristic dc cone skimmer is using a modfied jebao pump (by the look of the controller) correct?

i wonder why the big companies never make a great nano skimmer or something that would easily fit in AIO like the fusion 10,20,25's and so. Think there is a big market for it. 

Now back to your tank. :D 

On 8/14/2017 at 12:14 PM, TJ_Burton said:

Now I will finally stop over filling my 5 gal pail and throwing away 0 TDS water by forgetting that I left it running...

IMG_20170813_132335_722.thumb.jpg.716a3ae04b668e603b1d6ac1443201e1.jpg

where for the love of all things that are holy and i get that? ill be divorced if i overflow another bucket rofl 

5 hours ago, Rory282 said:

Looks like the aquaristic dc cone skimmer is using a modfied jebao pump (by the look of the controller) correct?

i wonder why the big companies never make a great nano skimmer or something that would easily fit in AIO like the fusion 10,20,25's and so. Think there is a big market for it. 

Now back to your tank. :D 

Yep, looks to be that way! Identical housing color as my Current USA DC return pumps which I believe are also modified Jebao pumps.

I suppose they don't want to encourage people to buy other brand aquariums and the like? Hard to say :P but it would be nice to see them attempt to play well with others.

4 hours ago, JR! said:

where for the love of all things that are holy and i get that? ill be divorced if i overflow another bucket rofl 

It is made by ISTA and I think I got it off ebay. Can't remember I've had it for a few years.

On 9/13/2017 at 7:01 PM, metrokat said:

How is the little frag with the arms and legs?

He is growing something fierce! At 1 month, he weighed in at 14lbs 4oz. BEAST! Also above 100% percentile for length, and head circumference. Long story short, he is huge for his age. Should slow down soon and start to even out. Or you know... just be a massive human.

• Haha 1
15 hours ago, TJ_Burton said:

He is growing something fierce! At 1 month, he weighed in at 14lbs 4oz. BEAST! Also above 100% percentile for length, and head circumference. Long story short, he is huge for his age. Should slow down soon and start to even out. Or you know... just be a massive human.

My nephew was like 30 pounds by 6 months, didn't slow down till he started crawling and burning a lot of those calories lol.

• Haha 1
17 hours ago, Rory282 said:

Good video Thomas, that thing is way shorter than the jns and icecap you have. Looks like a nice skimmer, now let’s see it perform. :)

How’s the newborn? 

Yeah, so far it looks like its going to do well, but gotta run it for at least a month or two before I can give honest feedback on it.

HE IS MASSIVE... seriously... its scary. He is already in 6-9 month old clothing at 2 months old. He is a beast.

• Haha 3

So I received some mostly brown palys in trade that had a light dusting of peach coloration on the disk. They were an unexpected freebie so I took them just to see if they would color up at all. The transition overt the months has been impressive. These palys morph a lot with age. New polyps are speckled and dusted brightly with a peachy pink color, while mature polyps develop greens towards the edge of the disk and pink on the tentacles. They've become one of three most interesting palys I have. 

IMG_20170929_100539_665.jpg

Screenshot_20170929-122616.png

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
1 hour ago, TJ_Burton said:

So I received some mostly brown palys in trade that had a light dusting of peach coloration on the disk. They were an unexpected freebie so I took them just to see if they would color up at all. The transition overt the months has been impressive. These palys morph a lot with age. New polyps are speckled and dusted brightly with a peachy pink color, while mature polyps develop greens towards the edge of the disk and pink on the tentacles. They've become one of three most interesting palys I have. 

IMG_20170929_100539_665.jpg

Screenshot_20170929-122616.png

Those are gorgeous!

• 3 weeks later...

I was doing a search on the aqamai powerheads and the trail lead me to your thread! Awesome work! I didn't get a chance to watch your video yet, but do you think it has the potential to link up 2 units in the future? Would that be all app/software enabled? 

I'm getting 1 for sure, for the price/size/wifi-ability, it's a no brainer. Need to supplement my mp10, which is on its last leg, but eventually I may get another to replace it, so linking up would be nice.

Btw, you're a brave dad to take care of the new born and toddler! I have a 1 yr old and 5 yr old, and my wife and I can barely make it thru the day!

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Orangutran said:

I was doing a search on the aqamai powerheads and the trail lead me to your thread! Awesome work! I didn't get a chance to watch your video yet, but do you think it has the potential to link up 2 units in the future? Would that be all app/software enabled? 

I'm getting 1 for sure, for the price/size/wifi-ability, it's a no brainer. Need to supplement my mp10, which is on its last leg, but eventually I may get another to replace it, so linking up would be nice.

Btw, you're a brave dad to take care of the new born and toddler! I have a 1 yr old and 5 yr old, and my wife and I can barely make it thru the day!

I think it is really just a matter of Aqamai making them link together [master/slave] in the software. You can add multiple pumps and lights to the app, so there is nothing stopping them from interacting with each other. Mind you, when you write the schedule for each unit, you could simply make them opposing that way [which is what I did].

They are great little pumps; I really dig'em!

As for the kids, I am on Pat leave with my wife, so there is 2 of us chasing them around. I ain't that brave!!! hahaha...

50 minutes ago, TJ_Burton said:

I think it is really just a matter of Aqamai making them link together [master/slave] in the software. You can add multiple pumps and lights to the app, so there is nothing stopping them from interacting with each other. Mind you, when you write the schedule for each unit, you could simply make them opposing that way [which is what I did].

They are great little pumps; I really dig'em!

As for the kids, I am on Pat leave with my wife, so there is 2 of us chasing them around. I ain't that brave!!! hahaha...

Cool! Thanks for the info! Good point about putting them on opposite schedules. 

Phew, thank goodness! Enjoy your pat leave! :)

• 1 month later...

We officially purchased a house in Nova Scotia, and I have begun preparing our current home to be listed in the new year. This included a kitchen reno that I managed to pull off on my own (after a month of hectic disorganization) and me shutting down my reef. Now, I did set up a pair of smaller aquariums (7 gal cube and 7 gal slant panel) to house the livestock I plan to take out east with me. Unfortunately most of the SPS are not going to come because I don't have the time to dedicate to them in these small aquariums; I am going to stick with softies, my clams, some montis, and a handful of the smaller fish.

I will post some pics of the smaller tanks once I get it all sorted out.

Once I am out east, I will set up a new system for this livestock. Very excited to do that! Have a much larger home and some dedicated space for a maintenance room which is going to be great!

Update again soon!

• Like 3