Top Shelf Aquatics

TJ's Bust'em Up Custom Reef - Big News!

TJ_Burton

1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

Not a bad start! This was the livestock and rock used for the commercial?

Commercial is being shot Tuesday, so yes that is what I'm using for the shoot. Once it's done I'll start putting some sticks in there!

1 hour ago, teenyreef said:

I really like how the corals and the scape fit together. It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like you still have a fair amount of room up top for sps growth?

Yeah lots of room for vertical growth.  Just a bit less than half of the tank's height.

• Like 1

Test sticks...

No idea what they are yet. Pretty drab looking, but I like seeing what dull sticks become. 

20170227_180539.thumb.jpg.4db762a8de9f7b26bbddea517cf6bcb7.jpg

I'll get a better shot during the day on the weekend.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, TJ_Burton said:

Test sticks...

No idea what they are yet. Pretty drab looking, but I like seeing what dull sticks become. 

20170227_180539.thumb.jpg.4db762a8de9f7b26bbddea517cf6bcb7.jpg

I'll get a better shot during the day on the weekend.

That is taking actinic to a whole other level :)

• Like 1

Proper pic.

They are supposedly the same coral, purple polyps so far with a faint green to the base/body. We shall see how they develop!

20170228_145052.jpg

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Christopher Marks said:

Two frags from the same colony? Interesting they look so different in their growth patterns. Should be fun to watch them develop!

Yeah, it was a colony from a display tank, I wasn't there to watch him clip them off, but he said they are both from the same colony. The thick one is what i was expecting, as that is how it looked on top, so I assume maybe the other one was from the bottom or back of the colony.

Either way, should be interesting indeed!

11 hours ago, do not smoke the reef(er) said:

are you going to put them on opposite sides of the scape? 

Actually haven't even thought about where those sticks are going yet. I want to see how they color up before I commit to keeping them. I got them for free from a bud since I had given a few frags to them before I got out the last time. Being the first sticks going in I didn't want to go too fancy.

Slow and steady they say... meanwhile I am over here ready to git'er done!

Dave and I are working out the aesthetic details of my Nanobox Mini Tide that will be used for a part of the build, while I hammer out the final details of the custom sump with Pro Clear Aquatics. Once the sump is finalized, I can really start hammering out the rest of the details, ordering plumbing/parts, and essentially get all of the final ducks in their respective rows. There are a few components I am trying to source that have been a little more difficult than I was expecting, but finding components that fit will just make it all the more rewarding in the end.

In the meantime, I think I will get some shots of how the system is currently set up for comparison later on.
Back with pics later!

• Like 3

Filtration as it stands.

Emerald 26 Sump

IceCap K2 50 Skimmer

CO2 Scrubber

Fuge with Chaeto

Aquaticlife Halo

Smart ATO

Current USA DC 1900 Return Pump

Cobalt Neotherm Heater

And all soft tubing.

20170306_193645.thumb.jpg.1fe0854cc629ce127ef57bc707fbab68.jpg

• Like 5
1 hour ago, TJ_Burton said:

Filtration as it stands.

Emerald 26 Sump

IceCap K2 50 Skimmer

CO2 Scrubber

Fuge with Chaeto

Aquaticlife Halo

Smart ATO

Current USA DC 1900 Return Pump

Cobalt Neotherm Heater

And all soft tubing.

20170306_193645.thumb.jpg.1fe0854cc629ce127ef57bc707fbab68.jpg

Is the airline silencer of your skimmer plumbed into the biopellet reactor? O_O

8 hours ago, xiaoxiy said:

Is the airline silencer of your skimmer plumbed into the biopellet reactor? O_O

There is no biopellet reactor; that is my CO2 scrubber!

• Like 1

Exciting news today!

Custom sump should be ready within the next 10 days, maybe sooner!

But even more exciting for the Burton household, we found out we are having a son in August! So I will have the quintessential family! :D

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Christopher Marks said:

Congratulations to the Bruton family! :happy:

What's the plan for your custom sump? Just adding more volume?

The Brutons! I like it, sound like space aged muscle men hahahaha...

Yep, so it will be an inch wider front to back, but also slightly different setup to incorporate an element I really wanted to try out. It is also custom colors as this is also very much a vanity project. I want a sexy undercarriage for this reef. Going to use colored plumbing etc. along with it!

• Like 1

Traded my last G2 Radion Pro for a bunch of sticks and stuff. Have a few nice pieces now including Christmas Monti, Setosa, Palawanensis, Forest Fire Digi, Bird of Paradise, and some acros. Got some Sunny D polyps and another unnamed Palythoa as well.

I now need to take some softies etc. Back to the LFS to make room. Pics to come!

• Like 1

Congratulations, Dad! Are you more excited about the new sump or the new boy? :lol:

The fts looks great but I'm looking forward to seeing it after you clear space for the sticks :)

1 hour ago, teenyreef said:

Congratulations, Dad! Are you more excited about the new sump or the new boy? :lol:

The fts looks great but I'm looking forward to seeing it after you clear space for the sticks :)

Honestly... the sump! Hahaha only because it is going to show up much sooner :P

Thanks! It will transform quite a bit in the near future. Both in equipment and corals.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, TJ_Burton said:

As it stands. Planning to go today to the LFS so I can hopefully clear of the frag rack. 

20170312_094526.jpg

That's cheating. Only a few weeks old and already filled-in with mature looking colonies. :lol:

On a more seriousness, this is a great mix and selection of softies and LPS. Nice placement and pleasing proportions.  Looks almost designed for a commercial or something. ;)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, J-Ranko said:

That's cheating. Only a few weeks old and already filled-in with mature looking colonies. :lol:

On a more seriousness, this is a great mix and selection of softies and LPS. Nice placement and pleasing proportions.  Looks almost designed for a commercial or something. ;)

Thanks a ton! Fortunately softies are pretty good at filling up space ;)

Glad to finally have some sticks again. Now I get to spend hours on hours trying to decide where each should be permanently set... Haha. 

Unfortunately my toddler has an ear infection, so I didn't get a chance to return any of the corals I intended to. I spent lots of time cuddling on the couch and watching kids flicks which helped her sleep. Poor gal; hopefully she is feeling better soon.