Pod Your Reef

TJ's Bust'em Up Custom Reef - Big News!

TJ_Burton

Just got all my outlets in the basement switches over to GFI so I should be good to get the tank running with RODI to leak test my work. 🙂

• Like 2

I got myself a lightly used Kalk reactor!

Octo KS-100 with a month use at 45 mins daily. Still plenty of life left!

Too bad it isnt purple...

That aside I am going to be getting some Brightwell Kalk+2 for it.

Debating hooking it up to my ATO vs a Aqua Medic peristaltic dosing pump I have kicking around paired to a timer.

Hmmmmm... thoughts?

20190303_154838.jpg

• Like 1

Well, I don't see any purple or orange... That's what came up my mind first. 😄 For the rest, I have no clue. 🤐 Good luck with the tank, this must become something very good!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DutchNanoReefer88 said:

Well, I don't see any purple or orange... That's what came up my mind first. 😄 For the rest, I have no clue. 🤐 Good luck with the tank, this must become something very good!

I wish it was! Nobody makes one and the cost of custom on a unit like this is just crazy high. I only got one of these bad boys cause I found it used!

I might work some magic with Krylon or Vinyl wrap to make it match 😉

• Like 1

If hooked to the ATO will that be to much compared to just dosing it with the timer ? Almost need to see once the system is up and see what the demands are maybe ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, spectra said:

If hooked to the ATO will that be to much compared to just dosing it with the timer ? Almost need to see once the system is up and see what the demands are maybe ?

Yeah I am thinking for the sake of control I'll have it on the peri pump separate of the ATO and allow the ATO to do the difference so I can better control the dose.

• Like 1
Paleoreef103
16 hours ago, TJ_Burton said:

Yeah I am thinking for the sake of control I'll have it on the peri pump separate of the ATO and allow the ATO to do the difference so I can better control the dose.

This is what I've been thinking about doing. I'm currently in south Florida so the house is sealed most of the year. Kalk + a peri pump would really help with my low pH (generally in the 7.8 range). It would be easy to set up with the ATO, but I don't trust my evaporation to be consistent enough to keep Alk+Calc stable. I say go the reactor+Peri pump method.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Paleoreef103 said:

This is what I've been thinking about doing. I'm currently in south Florida so the house is sealed most of the year. Kalk + a peri pump would really help with my low pH (generally in the 7.8 range). It would be easy to set up with the ATO, but I don't trust my evaporation to be consistent enough to keep Alk+Calc stable. I say go the reactor+Peri pump method.

I've always struggled with pH between 7.8 and 8.1 and would love to prevent that issue entirely. If I can get decent growth from my SPS with a low pH, I can only imagine how much better it would be at 8.3 to 8.5. I have a friend in the hobby who uses kalk religiously and always has since the 90s, and he swears by it. Seeing Jake Adams discuss pH control with kalk in conjunction with Brightwell Kalk+2 also reaffirmed what I already suspected: it is time for me to try oldschool in a new-school way.

This build is a lot of changes for me; I really wanted to try some methods I have never explored before (i.e. bare bottom, kalk, etc.) and learn more about the hobby in the process. Sure I have been reefing for more than 15 years, but I feel like there is so much untapped information that I would love practical experience with!

Anyways, I am blathering on... lol

1 hour ago, Tigahboy said:

This is a real beauty!  Looking forward to seeing it filled!  

Thanks! 
Me too!!! It is about half full right now.

Need to get my rock structure started 🙂

• Like 1
Paleoreef103
1 hour ago, TJ_Burton said:

I've always struggled with pH between 7.8 and 8.1 and would love to prevent that issue entirely. If I can get decent growth from my SPS with a low pH, I can only imagine how much better it would be at 8.3 to 8.5. I have a friend in the hobby who uses kalk religiously and always has since the 90s, and he swears by it. Seeing Jake Adams discuss pH control with kalk in conjunction with Brightwell Kalk+2 also reaffirmed what I already suspected: it is time for me to try oldschool in a new-school way.

This build is a lot of changes for me; I really wanted to try some methods I have never explored before (i.e. bare bottom, kalk, etc.) and learn more about the hobby in the process. Sure I have been reefing for more than 15 years, but I feel like there is so much untapped information that I would love practical experience with!

Yeah. That's where I'm at too. I've had great results with just two dosers for 2 part and manually dosing magnesium, but I feel like pH might be limiting my growth and that adding some trace elements might help with colors. I might try the Tropic Marine Balling part C for trace elements and Kalkwasser as a way to solve those issues. 

And great job with the build! Truly fantastic attention to detail.

• Like 1

Soooooo I just got a message through WhatsApp and have confirmed that I will be outfitting this system with a different light!

I'm quite excited. It is an LED and I will likely pair it with a T5HO Hybrid, but it's probably not what you'd expect. Not a Radion, or an AI fixture. Not a Kessil, or Maxspect either. Also not an Orphek...

Anyways I'll do a video and post it up when it comes! Couple weeks I'd guess. 🙂

• Like 1

Very nice!  Are you planning to build something to house the ATO or will it stay off to the side?  Hard to squeeze everything you need in nano stands.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tigahboy said:

Very nice!  Are you planning to build something to house the ATO or will it stay off to the side?  Hard to squeeze everything you need in nano stands.  

I have a plan to build a side... table/shelf thing that will house the ATO and Kalk reactor/doser. I am considering building a matching frame to replace the stand's cover panel so that it matches the side table/shelf and has a large window so you can always see the filtration system.

Been working it out on paper the last couple days. Should be able to build it in the summer 🙂

• Like 2

Decided to use the Current USA eFlux DC pump I had on the system previously. Mostly due to budget constraints. May upgrade to a Neptune Systems later on.

Once the cement dries I will fire it up!

Fotor_15518977819476.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

So, no leaks!

Getting some mixed results on system performance. I'll have to play with it and find the issue. I had it dialed in perfectly. No noise, and good flow. Did a power outage test and upon restarting the pump was nearly running dry while the display continued to fill. The aux drain did its job though, which is good!

I'm bushed tonight so I'll figure it out tomorrow.

• Like 1

Thats a weird thing to happen. I havent had a chance to read through your thread. What drain system are you using? I did notice your using a dc pump, any chance that it was on full blast instead of your desired preset?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, JBM said:

Thats a weird thing to happen. I havent had a chance to read through your thread. What drain system are you using? I did notice your using a dc pump, any chance that it was on full blast instead of your desired preset?

DC pump setting did not change during my testing. That said, cant say for sure that the pump isn't fluctuating. 

I'm using the Xaqua InOut drain and return.

I'm sure I'll figure out what the hitch is after fiddling with it some more. 🙂

FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!

For whatever reason, the Current-USA eFlux DC Pump is ignoring the setting on the controller and ramping right to 100% when power to the pump is cycled.

This is either a MAJOR design flaw, or a faulty control. I am leaning towards the latter, as neither of the other eFlux pumps I've used had this issue.

So here is what is happening.

1. Turn on power to the pump
  2. Set to ~50% power
  3. Adjust gate valve to create full siphon
  4. Allow to run for 10 minutes to verify system runs optimally
  5. CUT POWER TO SYSTEM (simulated power outage)
  6. RESTORE POWER TO SYSTEM
  7. Pump comes back on and ignores the setting on the control and ramps to 100%
  8. System comes close to overflowing, pump runs nearly dry, AUX drain saves the day

If I can't get Current-USA to resolve the issue, I will have to find a different pump, and will be leaning towards a straight AC pump with fixed GPH so I avoid this issue entirely.
Oh technology...

• Like 1
  • Wow 2

Well that sucks. I like the DC pumps as you can change the flow if need be. If it was me would just look for one that works when power is cut and turned back on.

I know my Vectra is that way as I kill power and turn it back on here and there. 

• Like 1

Budget won't allow for a Vectra, Core 20, etc.
Hence just going to an old faithful like Eheim Utility or Danner Mag-Drive.

We shall see!

• Like 1
Just now, TJ_Burton said:

Budget won't allow for a Vectra, Core 20, etc.
Hence just going to an old faithful like Eheim Utility or Danner Mag-Drive.

We shall see!

Understand the budget thing.

Eheim would be my choice then. But when it comes to tanks I try to get the best equipment and by the looks of your build you are doing the same. So figured a few dollars more would work for you :wink: look at it this way just buy some cheaper beer for a while and save :biggrin:

I do a lot of side work for LFS and a lot of it is paid via trade so I have no issues saying yeah give me the expensive one.....

• Haha 1