Innovative Marine Aquariums

TJ's Bust'em Up Custom Reef - Big News!

TJ_Burton

37 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Congrats on the new house! 

Lots of big life changes for you in 2017/2018! 

So will you use that custom Pro Clear sump in your new set-up? 

Yep, that's the plan!

Also going to be using the Aquaticlife T5 I picked up along with my Radion G4 Pro. Should be a pretty sweet setup. 

The move is in May, so I will have to keep the two tiny tanks running for 6 months or so. 

Planning to continue collecting corals to take with me. 

• Like 2
On 17/12/2017 at 5:59 PM, Christopher Marks said:

Wow nice finds @TJ_Burton! Those last two are unreal! 

I know, right?!

Those two, especially the one with an orange skirt and red/purple disk, were the driving force behind the impulse buy.

I guess I finally got on the rock flower band wagon. Going to end up with a few more for sure!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2017 at 6:36 PM, SamCostin said:

Could you please post some more pics of the sump setup? I would like to see if there is anymore progress... I purchased this sump and would like to follow your steps :)

96E0E8BD-A189-4778-AC4D-E9004FAAB533.jpeg

9244CA29-0799-49D4-A86B-410DB4478297.jpeg

Awesome!!!! :D

I haven't plumbed mine up yet, buuut I am happy to help you out however I can while you set it up! :)

Welp... taking care of two 7 gallon bare bottom frag tanks sucks, so I picked up a RedSea Max Nano to make life easier and keep parameters stable without nearly as much effort.

Going to get that set up this weekend and move it all over into the one system. Woot!

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
1 minute ago, Christopher Marks said:

Tank number two! It's a slippery slope :lol: 

Is it really just for frags though?

Hahaha well here is the story.

Had to shut down the main reef as per realestate agent's advice since we are selling the home

In all honesty with baby number 2 I was running out of time to work on it.

Kept all my softies and set up the two 7 gallon tanks so that I could take those corals with me when I move. SPS were not going to fair well, and I wanted to keep my collection of zoas etc.

Two 7 gals are too much of a pain to look after so I got the RSM to merge them together into a more manageable setup.

When I move I'm planning a large system and some frag systems so I can go big! Hahaha.

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...
12 minutes ago, Sancho said:

Well where are the pics?

None to show...

Just moved to Nova Scotia from Ontario, and my lovely wife gave me free run of the 3 rooms in the basement. Currently trying to turn one into my office, and the others... I think I will have to turn into supporting rooms for the reef tank haha.

I still have all the components for the original Purple Orange and Grey build, so I think I might start off by finishing that.

Thoughts?

• Like 3

Would be neat to see the finished setup you had planned.  Did you get rid of the massive freshwater tank you did the videos of?

9 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Would be neat to see the finished setup you had planned.  Did you get rid of the massive freshwater tank you did the videos of?

I did; transporting it was going to cost too much for me to consider bringing it. I ended up selling it, and will hopefully get to do another huge build 🙂

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/18/2018 at 10:24 PM, Sharbuckle said:

Thomas I’ve got a few questions for you 🙂 mind if I shoot you an email? 

Sent you a PM!
Sorry for the uber late reply...

• 1 month later...
kristonenicolas

sent you one too! I apologize tho as its regarding he INOUT overflow. I just finished all 10 pages of this build and found out you don't have the tank anymore =[

anyway, maybe you can still provide some input. Do you think the risk of flooding is high d/t only having one overflow?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2018 at 1:35 AM, kristonenicolas said:

sent you one too! I apologize tho as its regarding he INOUT overflow. I just finished all 10 pages of this build and found out you don't have the tank anymore =[

anyway, maybe you can still provide some input. Do you think the risk of flooding is high d/t only having one overflow?

Hey! No sweat at all 🙂

I actually do still have it and will be finishing up my intended changed to it before I restart the system (all livestock sold due to my move from Ontario to Nova Scotia).

Replied to your messages!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Going to be doing videos on this build too, but here is a peek at how the plumbing is coming along.

White elbows will be swapped for grey (could not bend the PVC tight enough to avoid them) but beyond that it's coming along well. Dying to get this thing full of water!!!

Fotor_154654656392433.jpg

Fotor_154654639590017.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 5