SaltCritters.com

TJ's Bust'em Up Custom Reef - Big News!

TJ_Burton

Christopher Marks

I really like the aquascape you created, great to see the process along the way too! Can't wait to see how it goes with that plastic epoxy stuff, what's the name of it?

34 minutes ago, TJ_Burton said:

Video of how I came to my final scape! Also a better overall look at it I suppose.

26 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

I really like the aquascape you created, great to see the process along the way too! Can't wait to see how it goes with that plastic epoxy stuff, what's the name of it?

Thanks! 😀

There are a few out there.

Aquavitro Bond

Aquamaxx Reef Welder

Reef Crest Aqua Weld

I got the Reef Crest brand in the "Pro" which has purple beads to tint it. Seemed fitting since the rock is already purple!

• Like 1

Some quick updates!

1. My new return pump has arrived fresh in from Hydor! Excited to try this beauty out.

20190430_165236.thumb.jpg.8dbcb6de24d0448cc6e507c74098ae35.jpg

2. I purchased a skimmer riser off of Aliexpress and after more than a month of waiting it finally arrived. Redstarfish brand, and for the $35 I paid it is fantastic quality! Truly amazed, honestly...

20190430_165246.thumb.jpg.01348a023b159add6fbc28f627265807.jpg

3. I got my bonding material for my rockwork so I can get on gluing it together and moving into the tank!!! Stoked to see how it looks in the glass box. Especially with water!

20190430_165426.thumb.jpg.8c55d7ff4e62fe16c141ac546781cda3.jpg

• Like 2
TJ_Burton

Bonded and in place!

That thermal polymer is interesting stuff to work with. Takes some getting used to. I'll admit I had a tumble after I first glued it all together, but was able to fix everything and it's very sturdy now!

IMG_20190501_113931_570.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
Christopher Marks

Stellar aquascape @TJ_Burton, it came together perfectly! Curious to hear more about your experiences working with the AquaWELD Pro polymer. What's the process like to work it into a putty? Do you have much time before it sets?

• Like 1
TJ_Burton
7 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Stellar aquascape @TJ_Burton, it came together perfectly! Curious to hear more about your experiences working with the AquaWELD Pro polymer. What's the process like to work it into a putty? Do you have much time before it sets?

Well, it is easy enough to work with. I boiled water in a kettle and poured it into a glass. Took a tablespoon (metal) and added a helping of beads and within 15 seconds they go clear and begin to stick to each other. I swirl in the water to get them all to come together and pull it out with the spoon. Then just work it in my hands for 10 seconds or so to mix the colored purple beads in thoroughly.

From that point I say I've got roughly 1 minute maybe longer to get it in place. Within 3 minutes its cooled and solid.

It doesn't stick to your hands at all which is fantastic! It does need to be worked into place well so that it has good coverage on both of the rocks its joining since it doesn't actually adhere to them but rather hardens creating a grip on the rock.

It's also very smooth when solid and stands out a bit more than 2 part epoxy putty because of it. But the trade offs are worth it.

1. No messy hands

2. Can be reheated and reworked over and over

3. No smell

4. No skimmer issues or need for carbon after the fact.

I have a lot of it so I will try it for mounting frags underwater too and see how that works. I suspect I will have far less time to work with it underwater as it will probably cool much faster.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Update!

So I haven't swapped the pumps yet because the Hydor does not have adapters to go directly to PVC, so I have to figure out how I want to go about attaching it to the return line. Possibly just soft tubing from the step fitting to the bulkhead on the sump, or perhaps I will find the correct adapter to go directly to the hard pipe that the eFlux is using.

That aside, the tank is running and has been salty for about 2 weeks now! Going to let it run for another month or more without coral, and will probably add a pair of clowns once my fishless cycle finishes. 

Currently not running any light on the tank, and also have not yet started using the skimmer, any circulation pumps within the display, etc.
Just doing its thing with the return pump, bare sump, filter sock, and Caribsea Life Rock.

I have a butt-ton of corals coming from a close friend of mine who is shutting down their system; that is going to happen over the next couple of months and I am realllllly hoping it goes smoothly.

This should get a ton more interesting in no time at all!

• Like 1
NaturallyKait

My goodness, the colour coordination is stunning on this tank. 

Funny, I grew up in NS. I’ve been on PEI for 7 years now though. I love seeing reef tanks in the maritimes. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sick 'scape. I was also a fan of your last few builds back in the day, when I was just lurking. 

Stoked to see how this one comes along. 

• Like 1
On 7/21/2019 at 7:57 PM, Christopher Marks said:

How’s the new reef coming along @TJ_Burton? Hope the summer isn’t treating you well!

Hey Chris!
Tank is just simmering. Just tossing food in daily and letting it slow cycle! 
Summer has been decent so far too! Lots of rain lately, but hoping to get some more fishing and beach time in with the kids soon.

I have a video coming out shortly on the Illumagic fixture. I've been out of commission for a few weeks, but with everything settling down I can finally get it uploaded. Been wayyy to long since my last post.

9 hours ago, fissues said:

Sick 'scape. I was also a fan of your last few builds back in the day, when I was just lurking. 

Stoked to see how this one comes along. 

Thanks so much!!! 😄

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, spectra said:

Nice light will be interesting to see the growth of the corals once the tank is stocked.

I'm hopeful it will perform well, but you never know, so, fingers crossed!

• 2 months later...

Ok, so here comes the heartbreak...

For those who havent seen the video, my home was hit by hurricane Dorian, and my basement had a lot of water damage. As a result, a lot of my aquarium gear, stands, computer, and music gear were damaged.

In order to repair the basement I had to shut tanks down, and this build was one of the ones where the stand was irreparably damaged. 

Sure, I could build a stand, but it wouldn't be the same. I was just finished my cycle and ready for livestock when this happened, and having to do that over just sucks. 

I doubt this system will be back, and when my basement is finally repaired, I'll set up something eventually. 

Anyways, sorry for the crummy news 😞

A final photo... the guts of the system sitting in my garage.

20190910_163901.jpg

• Sad 13
9 hours ago, spectra said:

Sorry to hear the bad news..............

Cant wait to see what you come up with for a new build............

Thanks, spectra!

Yeah it really sucks, but thankfully I like building new systems. Ha... (trying to be positive)

It looks like insurance will cover my stuff as well and not just the house, but still waiting to see how much of it they are going to reimburse. Hopefully it is enough to replace what I need to and build something new.

• Like 4