Pod Your Reef

TJ's Bust'em Up Custom Reef - Big News!

TJ_Burton

43 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Looks awesome! I'm thinking about doing a similar chaeto reactor because I don't have room in my sump.

The geek in me is totally impressed you did all those drawings in mspaint :lol:

MS Paint and I have a special history Hahaha.  

Speaking of reactor the LEDS came in today! Might do a video.

• Like 1

Alright, I've decided to try and do a decent job of documenting this very simple DIY algae reactor by incorporating my Kill-A-Watt meter and USB PAR sensor. 

Plan to record and edit the video tonight. :)

20170325_161210.jpg

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Hmmmmm, very interesting! Do you have a link to the lights? 

Yep, they are from amazon. Link below.so far happy enough with the results.  Right against the acrylic facing the LEDs I am reading over 400 PAR, and about 100 PAR from against the opposite wall.

Should work decently!

20170325_172355.thumb.jpg.fbd945baedbea4b36dcf6f09d34f897a.jpg

Link to LED Lights

81z3ythoO0L._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 5
1 hour ago, TJ_Burton said:

Yep, they are from amazon. Link below.so far happy enough with the results.  Right against the acrylic facing the LEDs I am reading over 400 PAR, and about 100 PAR from against the opposite wall.

Should work decently!

20170325_172355.thumb.jpg.fbd945baedbea4b36dcf6f09d34f897a.jpg

Link to LED Lights

Looks great man. Keep us posted with your results!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BRTNreef said:

very nice, careful with the lights seems like according to the amazon reviews, they like to catch on fire. 

Yikes :eek:

2 hours ago, BRTNreef said:

very nice, careful with the lights seems like according to the amazon reviews, they like to catch on fire. 

Honestly, every single one in there has at least some horror story reviews. They are cheap so quality is always questionable. Most often it's power supplies that fail early, or diodes going out. Some people install them outside under their decks etc. and that is a recipe for disaster too. I saw the two reviews where the plugs burned out. I'll be keeping an eye on them for sure, but so far there is no heat issue like they described. Hopefully that remains.

Am I worried they will catch on fire? Not really; but if they don't last longer than 6 months I won't be surprised.

I'm running a set of RGB under my 265 and it's been fine for a while already. No heat issues there either.

• Like 1

maybe you got the upgraded black version from the white version that seemed to burn out. 

about how much did these whole project cost so far? just chaeto reactor. 

31 minutes ago, BRTNreef said:

maybe you got the upgraded black version from the white version that seemed to burn out. 

about how much did these whole project cost so far? just chaeto reactor. 

Here's to hoping!

The reactor was second hand $40, and the LEDs were $30 so that puts me around $70.
I plant to run it off the return pump for the tank so no added cost in terms of pumps.

1 hour ago, cnseekatz said:

Awesome. Does flow matter in this kind of reactor? I wouldn't think it would matter much.

From what I understand you want it to be on the higher end rather than the lower end.

It shouldn't matter much as long as it's fast enough to constantly bring nutrient rich water into the reactor.

I'm going to play with the flow a bit; ball valve plus a DC return pump should make it pretty easy to fine tune.

I've ordered my lights, and I have a really old TLF phosban reactor that I'm going use. I almost threw it away last month because you have to unscrew 12 nuts and bolts to open it up and there's no way I was going to deal with that in a media reactor. But for a chaeto reactor that doesn't have to be opened up very often, it should work fine! Just goes to show you should never throw anything away in this hobby.

I'm curious - why did you use the zip ties to secure the LEDs instead of the double-sided tape? Were you worried about the tape not sticking if it gets wet?

• Like 2
10 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I've ordered my lights, and I have a really old TLF phosban reactor that I'm going use. I almost threw it away last month because you have to unscrew 12 nuts and bolts to open it up and there's no way I was going to deal with that in a media reactor. But for a chaeto reactor that doesn't have to be opened up very often, it should work fine! Just goes to show you should never throw anything away in this hobby.

I'm curious - why did you use the zip ties to secure the LEDs instead of the double-sided tape? Were you worried about the tape not sticking if it gets wet?

Honestly, I have such a hard time throwing anything out since I always [years later] find a purpose for it. Anything I do get rid of, I end up needing at sump point [years later]. :P

Why zip ties? The diodes face inwards, and the rounded waterproof gel they are encased in doesn't sit flat. They also heat up quite a bit so I figured the glue of tape wouldn't have a good opportunity to stick and hold under those conditions. I also wanted them to be very easy to remove and replace in the event they burn out. Just a clean convenient option that isn't permanent or hard to undo.

• Like 1

Got a package from Dave Fason along with some other goodies. Unboxing video to come :)

Hoping to have the custom sump early next week. Still have to order up the plumbing etc. But want to wait on that until the sump arrives.

• Like 3

Been a tough week.  Lost my Grandfather on Friday. Haven't really had as much time as I was hoping for to get things done with the build. Did manage to move some corals around during the last water change to see how I feel about them in their new places. 

20170410_135459.thumb.jpg.04123332e478305daf250170f0a92dfa.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry about your grandfather!  Tank looks very nice though.  Hopefully soon things will settle down and you can get back to working on it. :)

• Like 1