ReefCleaners.org

TJ's Bust'em Up Custom Reef - Big News!

TJ_Burton

3 hours ago, kristonenicolas said:

beautiful work as always!

Question, have you tried connecting any loc-lines to the return of the INOUT?

I have not; it does appear to be a smaller diameter than the standard 3/4" lock line that I have here and I don't have 1/2" lock line to compare to.

I'm not going to be ripping water through the filter; probably going to aim for 350 to 400 gph through the sump, so I will be relying on pumps in the display for circulation for the corals and am less worried about getting the return line pointed in the 'perfect' spot.

😁

• Like 1
kristonenicolas
20 minutes ago, TJ_Burton said:

I have not; it does appear to be a smaller diameter than the standard 3/4" lock line that I have here and I don't have 1/2" lock line to compare to.

I'm not going to be ripping water through the filter; probably going to aim for 350 to 400 gph through the sump, so I will be relying on pumps in the display for circulation for the corals and am less worried about getting the return line pointed in the 'perfect' spot.

😁

I bought 1/2" loc line and its just a hair too small. I tried softening the plastic but no luck.

1 hour ago, kristonenicolas said:

I bought 1/2" loc line and its just a hair too small. I tried softening the plastic but no luck.

Go figure!

Metric vs Imperial?

That's too bad, really. I think many folks would prefer some more flexibility in the nozzle.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2019 at 12:09 PM, Christopher Marks said:

A truly masterful build @TJ_Burton, every detail is so well thought out. Thanks for the video tour and congrats on finishing the plumbing!

Thanks, Chris!!! 

Really putting everything I can into this build and try a few things differently than I normally would.

Maybe I'll finally nail down TOTM; it has eluded me for too long! 😅

• Like 2

Finally got.my custom acrylic from Pro Clear! Sent in a design and had a finished product faster than I expected.

Here is a sneak peek; video coming tomorrow.

IMG_20190220_174127_287.jpg

• Like 1

Well I  wasnt going to show this off until the video was ready to go, but I am just wayyyy too happy with how it looks hahahaha.

I was struggling with what skimmer to get. Nyos being an obvious choice but also too pricey for this build. And not too many other options that might fit the color scheme. I looked at the Icecap K1 skimmers, and the Coral Box Jebao skimmers. Even some all orange skimmers on Alibaba. 

I ended up stumbling across Eshopps Axium X series and realized they are Purple!!! I also took it a step further and swapped the venturi tubing for orange 😎

For the price they looked awesome and I must say I am quite pleased with the build quality and overall look. That said no clue how it runs yet and will have to wait to test that out effectively.

Here it is!

20190222_195426.jpg

Fotor_155088046086426.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 3

So I'm also starting to think about dosing and want to try something I've never done before; Kalk for CAL and pH management.

A good friend of mine uses Kalk religiously, and has great success. Jake Adam's recently released a vid regarding pH management using Kalk. So although its oldschool, it may be high time I give it a try!

Currently trying to decide on a stirrer or reactor. OCTO looks great, but pricey. TLF is inexpensive, but not sure on how well it stirs. Maybe a DIY? Hmmmmmm...

I may have also decided to use a different light, but more on that at a later time.

• Like 2

Wow TJ. Your attention to detail is always incredible. Well done!

Also, it's fun to see all these old accounts coming out of the woodwork to comment on your thread. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Scorched said:

So many old timers.... in their 30s lol.

TJ beat me to NanoReef by a day 🙄

Yeah. I'm in the same boat. I lurked until 2007, but I'm in my 30s and have been reefing since 2004. Pretty nuts. 

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, Scorched said:

So many old timers.... in their 30s lol.

TJ beat me to NanoReef by a day 🙄

Speak for yourself...…..I am almost 50 :wink: 

Been in the hobby off and on since early 90s. Sure has come a long way from gym light halides to now...…..

• Like 2

I am so glad to have all of the long-time nano-reefer's stopping in to see what I am cooking up!
I have some really fond memories of my interactions with users here, and its been such an amazing community to share the hobby with. I don't think I will ever stop coming to this site above all other forums when it comes to the reef hobby. 

I too am now in my 30s! 
Going to be 33 in a couple months, hahaha. 

And not sure how I pulled that off, scorched! 😛

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DaveFason said:

Looking so good. This could be the longest lead up to a build, ever...

Anything else needed for the build to get it running? 

Hahaha no kidding, eh?!

I need a return pump, and that is really it. I have some circulation pumps, I have lighting (although I am working on an upgrade), I have the rock I intend to use, and I have an electrician coming to change all the outlets in my basement to GFI so that one doesn't trip them all etc.

I am trying to film and edit each part so I can keep doing vids for my channel, which also slows things down...

That said I am NEARLY there! 🙂

• Like 2