Innovative Marine Aquariums

Name the Algae!

HammerTime

I am a newbie and this is my first post! New Nano Reef.  32 gallon Biocube.  Been setup for three and a half months.  I have an algae growing on 1 specific piece of live rock.  It came fast (maybe close to two weeks).  I had a bit of hair algae early in and it looked very different than this mossy looking type.  It is not bothering me, and I have no algae really anywhere else (at least for now).  Should I pull the rock before it spreads, or could this be a safe type of algae or marine plant that came in the rock? Any insight would be appreciated.  As you. An see it is very dense and short.  The tino snails have shown some interest.  The rock is at the sand bed and is about the size of a baseball.

Thanks!

IMG_0689.JPG

It really does!  Completely!  Crazy thing is I kinda like the color and texture it adds to the tank.  But if harmful - I do not want it spreading.

That is a GREAT type of Macroalgae, please keep it and send me some!!!

I used to have some a long time ago, I got it as a hitchhiker on Live Rock too, but you can never find it for sale anywhere!!

It is definitely a good one, and they make a great habitat for a healthy population of microfauna. 

It is NOT Green Hair Algae (GHA). 

Actually, it's in my Sig, if you look at the pic on the far left. 

Now I gotta go find the name, I have it somewhere. 

According to my notes, it's a type of Chaetomorpha that forms low, dense mats growing over rocks. 

Look around the middle of the page here for a pic of how I originally got it in, growing on a Zoa colony rock: 

middle of pg 38 of tank thread, if link doesn't work right. 

I wondered.  That rock has tons of the thin white worms that reach out everywhere, has a few hitchhiking feather dusters and other critters.  I love the way it looks.  Bright green, dense and short nap.  If you find the name, let me know.  Good to know.  Thanks!

I noticed that :)

so yes - looks very, very similar.  Did it stay on that one rock or did it spread?  If it keeps growing, I will gladly send you some.

Archived