Innovative Marine Aquariums

Setting up emergency hospital tank

Clown79

6 minutes ago, braaap said:

Don't QT. I promise it will bite you sooner or later. So yes it is necessary.

I clearly wasn't advocating for not having a QT setup. I just think a best practice, and absolutely necessary are two different things. But I realize I'm just splitting hairs at this point so I'll just move on :)

18 hours ago, burtbollinger said:

man, this is horrible advice.  full stop....horrible advice.  

Absolute comedy, except its somewhat terrifying that someone can just fire off this advice like its no big deal, then proceed to defend it... that some unfortunate soul might read this and think that its an acceptable solution, very sobering.

IMG_0668.JPG

That is  why I kept responding even though i wanted to stop.  I didnt want someone to think "well no one responded so his idea must be okay." o.O

Qt can be a very good step but still doesn't prevent parasites 100%.

I had added no fish to my tank and my fish still got sick and died very quickly.

Unfortunately, there is no 100% in this hobby. 

I think having a seperate hospital tank is far easier and better than splitting the tank.

splitting the tank doesn't allow for medicating and if you do, then you have to dump all the sand and rock that was on the medicated side and ensure there is no traces of medication left...thats redundant in my opinion.

• Like 2
  • 2 years later...

I need to know how to set up a tank very quickly. We just got 5 fish(4 male guppies and 1 female  betta) less than a month ago and haven't had time to set a Qt tank but one night when I was out of town (I was gone for 3 days and had a trusted friend come feed my pets) my betta aggressively attacked my other fish and killed them and my friend didnt tell me and when I came home the tank was filthy and I took my betta out but we have nowhere for her to go and she has a dark spot above her tail fin (shes a white fish and it's an almost black spot) and I am not sure how to quickly set something up for her until we can get the medicine that comes in tomorrow afternoon. Does anyone have any advice 

righttirefire
1 hour ago, May v.z. said:

I need to know how to set up a tank very quickly. We just got 5 fish(4 male guppies and 1 female  betta) less than a month ago and haven't had time to set a Qt tank but one night when I was out of town (I was gone for 3 days and had a trusted friend come feed my pets) my betta aggressively attacked my other fish and killed them and my friend didnt tell me and when I came home the tank was filthy and I took my betta out but we have nowhere for her to go and she has a dark spot above her tail fin (shes a white fish and it's an almost black spot) and I am not sure how to quickly set something up for her until we can get the medicine that comes in tomorrow afternoon. Does anyone have any advice 

Those are fresh water fish.

But I would do a waterchange, vacuum the gravel. As close to 100% as you can. And leave fish in the tank. The bacteria to protect the fish is in the gravel or surface of decor. So switching the tank wont help. 

6 hours ago, May v.z. said:

I would just clean/water change the tank, get it in order.

If you want to set up a quick hospital tank, you don't need to cycle it, just do frequent water changes to keep ammonia down. You may need to re-dose medication for any water removed. If it is fin rot, just keeping the fish with good water quality and correct temps (78) will go a long way for recovery. Good-luck!